🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » For how long will a bad review stay in my pub...
Page options
paco020295
Community Member

For how long will a bad review stay in my public profile?

Hello,

When i joined UpWork, the second job i got was a really bad experience with a client that didn't let me help him and closed the contract giving me one star. I think it was really unfair, but after reading many many (MANY) posts in the community, i just learned my lesson, i had to be more careful when i choose my clients. Since then, all i got were 5 stars and one 4.85. 

I currently have 11 feedbacks, but when i see my profile as others see it, 5 feedbacks are shown and the 1 star is there. Let's suppose i understand why UpWork decides to show this. They want to be as transparent as possible. But the question is....for how long will i be punished with this low rating being shown on the front page of my profile?

16 REPLIES 16
robin_hyman
Community Member

It will always be there but the more jobs you close, the harder it will be to find. Right now it is on the second page.  Just keep applying, doing good work, and solidifying those 5-star feedbacks!

Sorry. May be i didn't express myself correctly. You are talking about what others see when you are a registered user in UpWork. But if you see my profile from incognito, you will see that only five reviews are shown. And i don't know what algorithm UpWork uses to choose which ones are shown. But the 1 star is shown. And then there is a label that says:

Hello,

I would like to know if there is any update on this.

Thanks

Hello,

I would like to know if there is any update on this.

Thanks

Hi Francisco,

The purpose of our logged-out site is to give prospective clients and freelancers a feel for what Upwork has to offer so that they can decide whether to join our platform; it is not intended to reflect all the jobs and all the profiles available on Upwork. That's the role of the logged-in site, which is only visible to our registered users. Please note that some jobs are originally posted as private or visible to logged in Upwork users only. Contracts formed based on those job postings will also not show in visitor view of your profile for privacy reasons.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar, thank you for the reply.

1) Could you explain this "Contracts formed based on those job postings will also not show in visitor view of your profile for privacy reasons" with other words? What do you mean with Contracts formed based?

2) I think the freelancers should be able to have more control over this. I was thinking of using UpWork in my CV. I am sure there will be many recruiters that don't know what UpWork is. They will check my UpWork profile without being logged in, and the first thing they will see is a 1 star calification calling me a jerk. Which i don't think accurately reflects my UpWork career so far. And from what you are telling me, there is nothing i can do to improve this. This 1 star is going to be visible until the end of time in my public profile. Because i don't even know what criteria is used to choose which contracts are visible from public profile and which ones are visible for logged-in user only.

Hi Francisco,

I`m sorry about the confusion. To confirm, only jobs posted as public will be shown to logged out users.
If a job post is posted as a private or to Upwork users only, it will be shown only to users who are logged in. Logged out users will not be able to view the contracts and the feedback. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Ohhh. I see. That's a lot more clear. So it depends on how the client sets it up when the contract is created. Can the client modify this attribute once a contract has been already closed? Or when a contract was already accepted?

And last question, is there a maximum amount of jobs displayed on the front page of public profile? Let's say, after a certain amount, it will be moved to a second page or something like that

petra_r
Community Member

Francisco, it's $ 10

Refund it, and in a day or 2 the review will vanish, never to be seen by anyone again.

Problem solved.

Petra R wrote:

Francisco, it's $ 10

Refund it, and in a day or 2 the review will vanish, never to be seen by anyone again.

Problem solved.

But then your JSS will take a hit for a project where no payment was transferred. You have to weigh the pros and cons of each and then make your decision. What's more important to you?

Yeah. There is no way i am refunding it. I did the job the client requested, i feel like i deserve to earn that money. When i got that negative feedback i did my research on the pros and cons of making the refund. And i realized that if i gave him his money back, then he wins. 
He gets back his money, he keeps the work i did and he doesn't receive the negative feedback i think he deserves, AND i get negative impact on my JSS anyways.

Robin H wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Francisco, it's $ 10

Problem solved.

But then your JSS will take a hit for a project where no payment was transferred. You have to weigh the pros and cons of each and then make your decision. What's more important to you?

No, it wouldn't. It's a year+ ago and the effect will not get worse by refunding. It's already a negative factor - it won't get more negative by refunding. It's a negative factor in his 2 year window (only) and hence irrelevant as far as the JSS is concerned. The impact of a poor contract isn't DOUBLED by a refund.

And i realized that if i gave him his money back, then he wins. 
... AND i get negative impact on my JSS anyways.

To be honest, Because it is such a small amount and you're so bothered by it, I'd personally not care about the client, and consider zapping the contract from your profile "a win"

Especially as there would be no (further) damage to your JSS, but ultimately it's up to you.

No, it wouldn't. It's a year+ ago and the effect will not get worse by refunding. 

Sorry. I didn't understand. What is a year+ ago?

Francisco S wrote:

No, it wouldn't. It's a year+ ago and the effect will not get worse by refunding. 

Sorry. I didn't understand. What is a year+ ago?

Petra is saying the review was more than a year ago so your JSS will not be affected. 

The review is from april of this year. Not even my account is one year old. I created it on march i think. So my JSS will be affected?

Francisco S wrote:

The review is from april of this year. Not even my account is one year old. I created it on march i think. So my JSS will be affected?

Francisco, if it were me, I would refund it, even if my JSS took a hit. It won't do your public image any good  1/5 is showing, whereas many clients will hire when one's JSS is not in the 90s. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths