🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Fraud Situation
Page options
veeveekad
Community Member

Fraud Situation

Please how do I deal with a fraud situation?

As a newbie on Upwork, I was invited by a man, so-called "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" for a drop shipping job for the duration of 1 month. The terms of the contract were that I would work for the month and be paid after that duration. It is already past one month now, almost two months and the man is nowhere to be found. His email address is not working, he is not responding to any of my mails, the salary he refused to pay, and my link to his dropshipping site is also no longer functioning. Now I have been receiving letters from different online shops where he made purchases from that the credit card he used for payment has not been paying for the articles he bought, and since he used my contact address to deliver these packages they are asking that I pay the money he owes or else I will be sued. Please help, it is an emergency.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "All the same, I guess he spent a few thousand in the course of the time I worked with him. How does this relate to my question?"

It is the most important part of the equation.

One option you have is to simply send money to the online vendors who are coming after you. If $100 would settle all such debts and put this matter behind you, wouldn't you do it?

The amount you are looking at is not $100. Nevertheless, you have that option, if you choose to go that route. I am not saying that is what you SHOULD do. I am simply pointing out that it is an option.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Vivian,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had. I can confirm the job post you are referring to was already removed and client's account addressed for violating Upwork ToS. Please take a look at the list of tips for recognizing fraudulent jobs Lena compiled and posted Here
I would also recommend checking out the Safety First section in this Thread. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Vivian O wrote:

Now I have been receiving letters from different online shops where he made purchases from that the credit card he used for payment has not been paying for the articles he bought, and since he used my contact address to deliver these packages they are asking that I pay the money he owes or else I will be sued. Please help, it is an emergency.

He bought the stuff in your name. You became part of a fraud. I am really sorry it happened to you (although you were clearly very naive) but there is nothing Upwork can do. You need a lawyer.

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

I agree. Nothing Upwork can do about this to help you. Trying to get help from Upwork (the company) would only be a waste of your time. Upwork is very helpful when it comes to things that fall under their jurisdiction. This does not.

But you ARE welcome to continue asking questions about your situation here in the Community Forum. There may be other people who have faced similar experiences or who have advice for you.

For context, do you know how about much money total was spent in your name?

Wow! It's so discouraging to know that UPWORK cannot help in times like this, or at least give us a clue what the contact details of these fraudsters are so that they can be apprehended.

All the same, I guess he spent a few thousand in the course of the time I worked with him. How does this relate to my question?

Vivian O wrote:

Wow! It's so discouraging to know that UPWORK cannot help in times like this, or at least give us a clue what the contact details of these fraudsters are so that they can be apprehended.

If you had asked this "client" to fund the escrow account, which you're always supposed to do before getting started, then Upwork would be able to help you with dispute mediation and arbitration. If the money isn't in escrow, then Upwork can't get it for you, and any contact details provided by the client are definitely fake.

I hope that you'll familiarise yourself with how the platform works before you accept any more jobs. And for any other new freelancers who might be reading this: Even being invited to bid on a project is usually a red flag; newbies seldom receive invitations, so you should proceed with caution right from the start.

re: "All the same, I guess he spent a few thousand in the course of the time I worked with him. How does this relate to my question?"

It is the most important part of the equation.

One option you have is to simply send money to the online vendors who are coming after you. If $100 would settle all such debts and put this matter behind you, wouldn't you do it?

The amount you are looking at is not $100. Nevertheless, you have that option, if you choose to go that route. I am not saying that is what you SHOULD do. I am simply pointing out that it is an option.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Vivian O wrote:

Thanks a lot everyone.

Vivian, 

Please just read these help pages: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Another appeal to Upwork to please make Vladimir's thread at the top of the "New to Upwork" page available and SEEABLE  to every person who creates a new profile. 

Nichola L wrote:

Vivian O wrote:

Thanks a lot everyone.

Vivian, 

Please just read these help pages: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p

Another appeal to Upwork to please make Vladimir's thread at the top of the "New to Upwork" page available and SEEABLE  to every person who creates a new profile. 

Hi Nichola.

The link doesn't appear to go through.

Abinadab A wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Vivian O wrote:

Thanks a lot everyone.

Vivian, 

Please just read these help pages:https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Hi Nichola.

The link doesn't appear to go through.

Many thanks Abinadab, I've corrected it (bad copy-paste) I hope it works now. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths