🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Fraud suspicion
Page options
venney
Community Member

Fraud suspicion

Hi I'm new to Upwork and I haven't had any clients yet. However, earlier I received a message from someone whom I sent a proposal to. He said that I should send him an email and he'll give me the instructions about the job. However, upon exchanging emails, he's asking me to send $15 as a registration fee. Is that how normally things work here or this might be a scam? I would really appreciate your help and insights regarding this. I'll attach a screenshot from the messages as well as his email. I just blurred out our names for privacy purposes.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

3 REPLIES 3
e825750a
Community Member

Dear Aleksandar, nice to meet you.
This is probably a scam, It is the reason why Upwork recommend to avoid working off-site. It helps avoid scammers. In most freelance platform you will see these Kind of people asking you to pay before winning a Job. They will ask you to send money through Skrill or PayPal, If you pay them they just stop discussing with you and never pay back.
Thanks,
Bruno
alexis-arinze
Community Member

Sven L wrote:

However, upon exchanging emails, he's asking me to send $15 as a registration fee. Is that how normally things work here or this might be a scam?

They're supposed to pay you, not the other way around. Definitely a scam. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Sven:
Click on the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right corner of the job posting and report these scammers.

If you can't report them, then it means that some other freelancer already reported them and Upwork has taken their job posting offline.

It is a good thing that you were too smart to fall for such a dumb scam!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths