🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Fraud?
Page options
mindyt
Community Member

Fraud?

I am brand new to Upwork and submitted a few proposals. My first one wanted me to set up an interview through Skype, in which I did. I then naively clicked on a link they sent me and now I worry they are in my computer. I have no idea if this is real or not. Anyone hear of**Edited for community guidelines**? They have a big website. I had no idea that I should never communicate on platforms outside of Upwork. I cannot get a live person and only robots and I am freaking out. I have attached the initial png doc they had me click on through Skype. They also sent me a pdf doc to answer questions for an interview. I pray this is legit. Can anyone help me?

2 REPLIES 2
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

You can reduce your anxiety level by taking the time to review the volumes of information UW provides to new FLs about how the platform works and how to work safely and profitably. Among other things, you will learn that it's a ToS violation to communicate with a prospective client using any channel other than UW Messages until you have a contract in place. (This rule, instituted last summer, is a constant pain in the neck for the rest of us. It is intended to protect you, the newcomer. Use it!) 

JoanneP

Hi Mindy,

Communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is placed is a violation of Upwork TOS. We find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result, the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent do so by going off the platform.

If you see a job that seems suspicious, you can report it to us using the flagging option. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths