cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud!!

Tanika B Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
1 of 8

I have a question that I think many of you are wondering too!! Why are there so many fraudulent employers on here? Every employer that has contacted me, has been fake. Using real companies names, claiming to be someone they aren't, having real LinkedIn pages to impersonate the person and all. They never want to see you face to face but only through Google Hangout. 2 companies, sent me 2 cashiers checks stating that it was to purchase software to do my job. When I called the bank to verify, they verify that it is fake and I needed to hand it to authorities for their open investigation. Then when I confronted them about it, they cursed me out and threatened me. They have my address and everything from acting like they were a legit company. How is it that this company don't screen these people thoroughly? This makes no sense. If I didn't know any better and with it being holiday time, I could have gave them the benefit of the doubt and I would have been in serious trouble. Not 1 legitimate company contacted me. Be on the lookout. These companies don't have payments verified and they have only 1 job posting and they have only been registered on the site, the say they contact you or a couple of days before.

////

\

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 8

@Tanika B wrote:

How is it that this company don't screen these people thoroughly? 

Upwork don't need to screen them.

Upwork operates with strict procedures that you deliberately chose to ignore by accepting direct payment, against the platforms terms of service. For this Upwork can suspend your account. Other than that, it was your decision.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 8

Hi Tanika,

Please, do not accept any payments outside of Upwork from clients you met on Upwork. It isn't only a serious violation of the ToS but it also usually means scam. Report such clients by flagging their job posts and decline their invitations. As you are new, you may want to focus on improving your profile and portfolio and sending well-written proposals to jobs that fit your skillset. To help you get started, please check resources listed in this post.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
4 of 8

...speaking of fraud...

in the past two hours, around 30 jobs were posted only in the design category with file attachment containing macro virus (doc and xls files). I've reported 10 of those, but really don't have the time or energy to report each and every one of them...

they're all the same - entry level, with budget from $400-$600, very short description and file attached. it's happening almost every day...

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 8

Hi Sanja,

We are addressing those already. I've replied to another user reporting these jobs here.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
6 of 8

@Tanika B wrote:

I have a question that I think many of you are wondering too!! Why are there so many fraudulent employers on here? Every employer that has contacted me, has been fake. Using real companies names, claiming to be someone they aren't, having real LinkedIn pages to impersonate the person and all. They never want to see you face to face but only through Google Hangout. 2 companies, sent me 2 cashiers checks stating that it was to purchase software to do my job. When I called the bank to verify, they verify that it is fake and I needed to hand it to authorities for their open investigation. Then when I confronted them about it, they cursed me out and threatened me. They have my address and everything from acting like they were a legit company. How is it that this company don't screen these people thoroughly? This makes no sense. If I didn't know any better and with it being holiday time, I could have gave them the benefit of the doubt and I would have been in serious trouble. Not 1 legitimate company contacted me. Be on the lookout. These companies don't have payments verified and they have only 1 job posting and they have only been registered on the site, the say they contact you or a couple of days before.

As long as freelancer keep falling for these scams, the scammers will continue using them. They target new freelancer because they know the majority of them just jump right in here not knowing the do's and don'ts, what to look out for and Upwork's TOS and procedures. It's very very rare to see someone who's been here awhile, with a number of jobs, falling for scams like this and posting here asking for "how do I get Paid", "I gave the client my personal information," or I cashed their check and sent the excess money to XX and now the bank says the check is bad." We've taken the time to read the posts here, and to go through the procedures of this site.

Upwork does, to a certain extent screen job posts, but they do not, and can't go through every message that a client posts to a freelancer. Most of the times the job description is a regular description with no indication that it's a scam. The scam comes out when the client messages the freelancer usually through Google Hangouts or even on here.

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
7 of 8

@Tanika B wrote:

////

\

These companies have been discussed in several threads on the forum before.  Any company offering a check to cover "equipment and software" to do the job should be a red flag.  I'm glad you had the sense to call the bank first.  Just remember in the future to red flag those offers and pass  them on to support.  It's not the platform creating the problem.  As others stated, we're responsible for flagging those jobs so support can remove them/ban their client accounts.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
8 of 8

And to add:  no client should ask for any personal information (address, etc.).  Upwork has the information and no client needs that stuff.  It's up to you as a business to do the screening, not Upwork.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS