🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Fraudulent Charge from Upwork?
Page options
adamjermann
Community Member

Fraudulent Charge from Upwork?

My card has been charged by Upwork right now and I have not been using it for a year now. I checked my personal and Agency accounts but I cannot see any activity. On the charge on my statement says: "Made at: UPWORK -MOUNTAIN VIEW,CA". I have NO idea what is this charge. Who can help me with this???

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Miklos:

You should be able to log into your client-side interface and view any recent charges, without getting help from anybody.

Also: Check to see if you have any open contracts.

IT IS POSSIBLE that somebody got ahold of your credit card and used it to place a fraudulent charge.

But it is MORE LIKELY that the charge was made using your actual account. Probably not fraudulently, but perhaps as part of a mis-understanding. Or the charge stemmed from a contract you forgot was open.

WHATEVER happened, this is definitely something you want to get to the bottom of. Because if a mystery charge happened once, it could well happen again. And you don't want that to happen.

If it was me in this situation, I would probably REPLACE my client account credit card with a different card. If you're really concerned and have a hard time getting answers quickly, you might want to cancel this credit card number.

How much was the charge?

Thank you Preston, I checked EVERYWHERE and there is no trace in the system at all. No pending/active jobs, nothing. My transaction history is clear for mora than 6 months now. Nothing happended on this account for more than 6 months.

I am afraid this is a fraud, but do not want to cancel the card unless it is absolutely necessary. Would be great to se before doing that whether Upwork finds this transaction in their system. If it is not there, I will cancel the card for sure.

The amount is 205.5 USD

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Miklos Adam,

Could you please send me a PM (click on my name) with more information about this, so that we can check this further for you and assist accordingly, thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
3e416edb
Community Member

Hi,

I’m having the same issue as the member who posted this for almost the identical amount. Is there someone I can get in contact with who can check the source transaction on the Upwork side of things? Thanks.

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I checked but I don't see any billing methods associated with this account. Are you referring to a different account? If so, could you please click on my picture next to this post and send me a private message with more info about the account and transaction you need help with? You should be able to send a private message as soon as you become an Active Member.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
3e416edb
Community Member

Hi,

I actually just made the account so I can post on this thread, I’ve never had an account here so I’m pretty confused where the charge is originating from. Thanks.

Hi Alex,

Could you please share more information via PM so I can look into this for you? You can PM me by clicking on my name/picture. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths