🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Fraudulent Representatives
Page options
d0d1e975
Community Member

Fraudulent Representatives

I just put in a proposal two days ago, and the company that hired me was legit; the people hiring me were not.  Where do I report this so I can give all my information for procsecution?

6 REPLIES 6
alysegoody
Community Member

Did they say they'll send you a cheque to buy equipment by any chance?

m_terrazas
Community Member

Robert E wrote:

I just put in a proposal two days ago, and the company that hired me was legit; the people hiring me were not.  Where do I report this so I can give all my information for procsecution?

No contract appears on your profile.

Did they send you and did you accept a contract on Upwork?

I sent a proposal, was accepted...then last night I was sent a message from Upwork that the client broke your rules.  They were doing more than breaking the rules...they were trying to send me money to my account to have me purchase hardware.  It is not on my system anymore because your website took it off the system.  I want to report this, with all my documentation.  If you don't have a fraud department, how are you ensuring the safety of those who seek your service?  I want to prosecute these people.  I have a phone number, email addresses, etc.

Robert E wrote:

I sent a proposal, was accepted...then last night I was sent a message from Upwork that the client broke your rules.  They were doing more than breaking the rules...they were trying to send me money to my account to have me purchase hardware.  It is not on my system anymore because your website took it off the system.  I want to report this, with all my documentation.  If you don't have a fraud department, how are you ensuring the safety of those who seek your service?  I want to prosecute these people.  I have a phone number, email addresses, etc.

So, did you have an Upwork contract?

If you had a contract and the client has been banned, I think you don't need to do anything else. The contract will not appear on your profile and will not count.
Someone already flagged to them and it no longer exists, until they make another account.
And if you want to send the data you have (which is most likely false) you just have to send a request to CS.

Robert:
If you have a problem on Upwork, you report it on Upwork.

You use the "Flag as inappropriate" link button.

Or report here in the Forum if necessary.

You don't "report" something for "prosecution."
If it is an Upwork issue, you handle it on Upwork.

The scam you are talking about is decades old. It goes on every day, on Upwork and other platforms. It has nothing to do with you personally.

If you want to read more about reporting to places outside of Upwork, read this.

mtngigi
Community Member

Robert E wrote:

Robert,

If you're new here, it's a good idea to scan the forums using the keyword "scams", you'll find that new profiles are usually approached by scammers, and that this scam is one of the oldest one on the books. What happened to you has happened to many. Someone flagged the job, and it was taken down. That's all Upwork can do.

The contact information you think you have ... that's all false. The company name they gave you is false - the human resource director's name they may have given you is false - there is no way to prosecute, because you'll never find out who they really are. Their numbers are legion.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths