Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer bidding

Highlighted
Fabian G Member Since: Feb 10, 2017
1 of 11

Hi, 

I am new to upwork but had posted some jobs on elance.com before.

I am wondering about the budget if I am posting a new job/project to hire freelancers.

Perhaps my English is not good enough to understand the word budget but in my opinion it means the maximum amount I want to spend on a project. If there are some freelancers who can make the job with less money they can bid less to get the job. In this way it worked on elance.com.

I posted one little job here for 50 $ to test the platform, but there was no response of freelancers to make it for less money. 

Is it not possible to bid for a job or was 50 $ insufficient money for the job?

For example on elance.com I don’t mind about the budget, I wrote my job description and waited for the bids of the freelancers. Then I made my decision depending on qualification and bid.

Does this word here on upwork in the same way or not?

Regards and thanks for your help Fabian

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 11

Fabian, it works the way you describe, but freelancers can bid more than your stated budget if they want to. So in your case, maybe $50 was too low for the job you had in mind. Anyway, if you do not want to pay more than your budget under any circumstance, then state in your job description that bids higher than your budget will not be accepted.

3 of 11

Hi John,

thanks for your answer.

Is it normal on upwork to bid higher than the budget?

I ask because the system on elance was really easy about the price. Every freelancer made his bid and I could choose the right one.

50 $ for my first project, I found someone who made it really good and fast. But no one bid under 50$

Now I am a little concerned about the budget, because in biger projects, I can’t estimate the price because I am not a programmer. 

Is it usual that freelancers bid higher than my budget?

Thanks for answers

Fabian

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
4 of 11

As a new freelancer/programmer I'm interested in the answer to Fabian's question too, and the related question: is it worth making a bid that's higher than the stated budget? And what if I don't want to bid a specific amount at all, because I'd like to clarify the client's requirements first? It seems like there should be an option on both sides to select "Amount to be decided".

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 11

Fabian (and Richard), it's *normal* to make higher bids in the sense that freelancers will do this, but speaking for myself, I've never done it myself, and I really do not know how common a practice this is.

Richard, in the absence of an "amount to be decided" option, why don't you just bid the exact amount stated with the job, then explain in your cover letter that the amount may need to be adjusted once you get more details from the client? Just because you bid $xx doesn't mean you're compelled to accept an offer for $xx -- you have the option to not accept it.

6 of 11
Hi John. Thanks for your reply. That is in fact what I did with a proposal I made yesterday. But I didn't feel comfortable making a bid that I wasn't going to stand by, and wasn't sure if if that was acceptable behaviour. Thanks for reassuring me.
Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 11
An idea for Fabian. Perhaps it would be best to set the budget at the maximum amount the job is worth to you, but make it clear in the details that you consider this to be a maximum and not a target.

BTW Fabian, I would say the usual meaning of the word "budget" is an amount set aside for some purpose, so it could be interpreted as the maximum you're willing to pay.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 11

On my opinion, the budget field on Upwork is an annoyance.

Sometimes you have no idea about the cost of what you want. And if you put an amount in the budget field and the real cost is lower, many will follow your budget and you will pay more than you should.

I'm all for having this field optional. Sure, you can put a placeholder price, but it will still show on your job post. If the field was optional, as it was on Elance, you could let the contractors state their price for the job. Provided that you disclosed enough information for them to do so.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
9 of 11

@Fabian G wrote:

Hi, 

I am new to upwork but had posted some jobs on elance.com before.

I am wondering about the budget if I am posting a new job/project to hire freelancers.

Perhaps my English is not good enough to understand the word budget but in my opinion it means the maximum amount I want to spend on a project. If there are some freelancers who can make the job with less money they can bid less to get the job. In this way it worked on elance.com.

When a client posts a budget for their job, they will find freelancers who will propose a lesser amount and freelancers who will propose a higher amount then the client's budget. As for lower amount proposals, that is because the freelancer lives in an area that has a very low cost of living, or because the freelancer is not skilled enough or has the experience needed in order to charge a higher rate (among other reasons.)

Freelancers who charge a high rate do so because even though the client may think that their job is easy, or won't take long, - with the experience freelancers have, they know this job is complicated, and will take much longer to complete.

I posted one little job here for 50 $ to test the platform, but there was no response of freelancers to make it for less money. 

I don't know what you posted in the job's description, but if that job wa just to TEST this site, then that may be why no one responded. If you pulled something out of your head and just put any amount in for this test job, freelancers figured that out and didn't waste their time or connects to bid on your job.

Is it not possible to bid for a job or was 50 $ insufficient money for the job?

It depends on whether that job was a real job and you had EVERY intention of hiring someone. And if you were not fully aware of the work and time it woud take to complete it with a $50 budget.  We would need to see the actual job you posted in order to tell you why no one replied to it.

For example on elance.com I don’t mind about the budget, I wrote my job description and waited for the bids of the freelancers. Then I made my decision depending on qualification and bid.

Does this word here on upwork in the same way or not?

On Elance you could indicate a placeholder bid until you got more details or information or until you discussed the requirements of the job with a client.  On upwork a proposal can not be submitted without some sort of an amount. Usually a freelancer will indicate that their proposal amount is a place holder and ask questions, or give a general guide of what they would charge in relationship to the amount of work they would do.

Regards and thanks for your help Fabian

Highlighted
10 of 11

OK, there seems to be a misunderstanding.

"I posted one little job here for 50 $ to test the platform, but there was no response of freelancers to make it for less money. " does not mean that no one made the job.

I had one guy who made the job in a very short time (instant).

I only wondered that no one underbid the 50 $,

On elance the freelancers bid for the job, it was not the job of the client to tell the budget. That makes more sense for me, because the programmer knows more than the client how much time will spend of a project.

Thanks Fabian