🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Freelancer contacted me several times outside...
Page options
d6115b07
Community Member

Freelancer contacted me several times outside of upwork system

I just registered with Upwork and posted a job that I needed done. Several freelancers responded via the upwork system, but one freelancer has written me directly several times. I deleted the posting a few days ago, but he continues to email me.  Isn't his contacting me outside of the Upwork system a violation of terms of agreement? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "but one freelancer has written me directly several times"

That is completely inappropriate behavior.

I recommend that you block them in Upwork, block them in your email system, and block them using any communications methods that they used to contact you.

It would also be helpful if you report this freelancer's information to Upwork, although technically we do not even know if this person is an actual Upwork freelancer or not.

re: "Isn't his contacting me outside of the Upwork system a violation of terms of agreement?"

Yes.

For future reference: It is not supposed to be possible for freelancers to contact clients directly based on job postings. But this can happen if a client posts identifying information in their job post. If there is a way to re-work your job posting without such identifying information, then I recommend that you do so.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "but one freelancer has written me directly several times"

That is completely inappropriate behavior.

I recommend that you block them in Upwork, block them in your email system, and block them using any communications methods that they used to contact you.

It would also be helpful if you report this freelancer's information to Upwork, although technically we do not even know if this person is an actual Upwork freelancer or not.

re: "Isn't his contacting me outside of the Upwork system a violation of terms of agreement?"

Yes.

For future reference: It is not supposed to be possible for freelancers to contact clients directly based on job postings. But this can happen if a client posts identifying information in their job post. If there is a way to re-work your job posting without such identifying information, then I recommend that you do so.

Once a freelancer and client have established contact through Upwork, there are no rules prohibiting communication through outside means. The main rule related to this topic is simply that all payment must go through Upwork.

After communications have been established through Upwork, then it IS permissible for clients and freelancers to communicate via email, phone, Skype, etc.

It is certainly NOT acceptable for freelancers to contact clients directly OUTSIDE of the Upwork platform based on what they see in a job posting. A freelancer MUST use the established Upwork method (sending a job proposal) in order to establish contact with a client whose job posting he sees and is interested in.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths