cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Freelancer emailed me at my work email

Qiana P Member Since: May 10, 2019
1 of 10

I posted a project yesterday on Upwork and I got a lot of responses, I've yet to even go through them all. However this morning I received an email to my work email (an email that I did not use when setting up this account) about the project I posted. This is not something I'm working on for work, totally something outside, so why on earth and how did this freelancer get my work email? It's very concerning to me that someone would do this. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
2 of 10

Did you give any identifying information in the job post? Have you hired on Upwork before? Your previous freelancers may have used your name when they gave you feedback, and people viewing your job post can see that feedback and search online for your information. It could have been a freelancer you worked with previously.

3 of 10
No identifying information was given and this was my first time posting on
Upwork, so I hadn't worked with any freelancers before. I asked the person
how they got my email and they replied they just googled me and found that
email so just decided to email me. Smiley Sad
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
4 of 10

Hi Qiana,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Looks like you did include the name of the company in the attachments of the Job Post. Please note that you shouldn't include contact info, links with contact forms/info or any sensitive info in the post. Please see this help article to know how you can edit your job post.

Additionally: Check this help article and this blog for more information on how to post a job. Please read more about Simple & Safe hiring through Upwork.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
5 of 10
That's the thing the attachments don't include my WORK email or the name of
my WORK. The info provided in the attachments are actually something I'm
volunteering to do, so the info attached would not have led to my actual
full-time work/job or the company I work for. This person actually went
out into AL Gore's Internet and found AN email for me and emailed me there
- which has absolutely nothing to do with the project I posted. Smiley Sad
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
6 of 10

Bojan S wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Looks like you did include the name of the company in the attachments of the Job Post. 

Bojan - So there are no repercussions for freelancers who contact clients outside of Upwork like this? 

7 of 10

And I just want to reiterate the information on the post and attachments is not my actual job or the company I work for. That info is the school I'm volunteering to project manage a website for. 

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
8 of 10

Qiana, could you please send me a PM with the name of the freelancer you are referring to and a screenshot of the email they sent to you? I'll try to locate their account on Upwork if they have any.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
9 of 10
Sent info. Thanks so much!
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
10 of 10

It's often not that difficult to figure out who a client is. I do it all the time, if I can, before creating a proposal (or even deciding whether or not to submit one). The FL broke protocol and violated common courtesy by contacting you at an address that you had not voluntarily provided. In your shoes, I would have messaged the FL via Upwork and told them that by doing so, they'd instantly taken themselves out of the running for this project and any other one I might post in the future, and that would be the end of it. If they contacted me again--via UW or outside email--I'd block them. 

In this global marketplace, we are going to encounter boors and ignoramuses. We can't expect UW to police every little thing. We need for them to concentrate on issues of real security and issues that make the platform work better and more profitably for everyone, not spend time and resources trying to enforce etiquette and common sense.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS