🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Freelancer is not delivering what was promise...
Page options
1a30ed92
Community Member

Freelancer is not delivering what was promised

Hi,

I have hired a freelancer to build a website, pretty simple one. She promised it would take around 30 hours. She billed me 20 hours a couple of weeks ago and then 10 hours last week. We had a conversation about how I would pay her those 10 and she will complete all new changes at no charge. 

She manually added another 5 hours today, however the site is still not complete. It has been 1 month. I paused the contract and explained why. I also gave her a deadline for Monday.   

How do I stop the 5 hours from going through until she delivers what was promised, a complete site? 

If I were to fire her how would I get the website work she has already completed  and that I've paid for?  

She does answer me when I message her however she is very slow in building this site, and I have lost my trust, I feel like Im being strung along. 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "If she doesnt deliver on the date agreed what can I do? Can I cancel the contract and get my money back?"

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

Dispute thinking is harmful to clients.

You should pretend that disputes do not exist. Decide for yourself that you will NEVER get any money back after you pay a freelancer. This will help you save money and it will help you succeed in completing your projects.

When you think about getting money back from freelancers, then you put the freelancers' needs ahead of your own needs.

Instead: Be proactive. You (or your project manager) will monitor the work submitted by the freelancers you hire and you will end the contract on any freelancer whose work doesn't measure up.

You will fire freelancers before paying them more money, rather than paying them money and then trying to get some money back.

You will not rely on only one freelancer for an important project. You will hire multiple freelancers and assign work to the most productive members of your team. If Fred is completing tasks quickly and Janice is not, then you will assign work to Fred. Janice is not doing much, so she isn't getting paid, and pretty soon she is dropped from the team completely.

How are Ben and Denise doing? They both provide quality work, and they do it quickly. But Ben is much more expensive to work with. You save money by having Denise and Fred do most of the work. On occasion you ask Ben to help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Daphne,

I'm sorry to hear about the contract you have with this freelancer. You may request that the freelancer delete the five hours she manually added. Once the freelancer completes the project, you have the option to pay them a bonus.

~ Joanne
Upwork
1a30ed92
Community Member

Thank you. 

If she doesnt deliver on the date agreed what can I do? 

Can I cancel the contract and get my money back? 

Thanks

Hi Daphne,

I'm sorry to hear about that. Feel free to check this help article to learn more about how you can dispute the hours and let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

re: "If she doesnt deliver on the date agreed what can I do? Can I cancel the contract and get my money back?"

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

Dispute thinking is harmful to clients.

You should pretend that disputes do not exist. Decide for yourself that you will NEVER get any money back after you pay a freelancer. This will help you save money and it will help you succeed in completing your projects.

When you think about getting money back from freelancers, then you put the freelancers' needs ahead of your own needs.

Instead: Be proactive. You (or your project manager) will monitor the work submitted by the freelancers you hire and you will end the contract on any freelancer whose work doesn't measure up.

You will fire freelancers before paying them more money, rather than paying them money and then trying to get some money back.

You will not rely on only one freelancer for an important project. You will hire multiple freelancers and assign work to the most productive members of your team. If Fred is completing tasks quickly and Janice is not, then you will assign work to Fred. Janice is not doing much, so she isn't getting paid, and pretty soon she is dropped from the team completely.

How are Ben and Denise doing? They both provide quality work, and they do it quickly. But Ben is much more expensive to work with. You save money by having Denise and Fred do most of the work. On occasion you ask Ben to help.

Thanks so much. This was incredibly helpful. I am new to upwork and I already have made mistakes. I think it will work out. I am hopeful. She has been communicating with me so lets see if she delivers tomorrow. 

The last thing I want is to dispute, I want my website complete!

Thank you again

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths