🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Freelancer looking for a job in my area.
Page options
timedwards42
Community Member

Freelancer looking for a job in my area.

Good morning everyone

I'm very new to UpWork and I had a question hopefully you all can answer for me. How are you supposed to know where the jobs are specifically located when you are trying to apply and submit a proposal? I live in Oregon and I have no idea if any of these jobs are located there, they just say the United States, Any help would be very much appreciated 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Youo can accept jobs from anywnere in the world.  Be advised, though, if you are in the UK for an extended visit, you should change your location on your profile to reflect that.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Most of the jobs on Upwork are for remote work.  Very, very few require "in person" availability.

Mary, I live in the States, but was wondering if I could accept jobs for clients who live in the U.K. as well as jobs for clients in the States either while I am physically in the U.S. and while I am on a visit to the U.K.

Youo can accept jobs from anywnere in the world.  Be advised, though, if you are in the UK for an extended visit, you should change your location on your profile to reflect that.

Thank you for your response.  Would one month be regarded as an extended visit?

Christine B wrote:

Mary, I live in the States, but was wondering if I could accept jobs for clients who live in the U.K. as well as jobs for clients in the States either while I am physically in the U.S. and while I am on a visit to the U.K.

You can accept jobs from clients from all over the world. Doing the work while physically being in a different country is a different matter as you need a work permit to do so.

Sorry.  I seem to have created a lot of confusion, so should have been more specific ...

I have lived abroad most of my life (the U.K. where I am from, Hong Kong where I grew up, and the U.S. where I now live), and my alumni and a sister are scattered across 18+ countries, so I am well aware that you need a work permit to "physically" work in a country.  As far as the U.K. and U.S., I am a British American so have citizenship in both countries (and therefore a National Insurance number for the U.K. and a Social Security number for the U.S.) and have worked in both. 

In regard to my query, most of my family lives in the U.K. and I would like to work there while I am visiting, so while I know I can do so legally, what I was wondering is this:  Are employers on Upwork located worldwide?  If so, is it possible to set up my profile to show U.S. employers when I am in the U.S. and U.K. employers when I am in the U.K.? 

From the responses, it sounds like I can go a step further and work for employers worldwide while I am physically located in the U.S. or the U.K.  A further question then is how can I set up my profile in order to view jobs in all countries instead of only the U.S., or can it only be set it up to show jobs from one country at a time?  If the former is possible, can I customize it to show posts written in English only?

robric
Community Member

Upwork is a gig ecomomy not a job board. You can be anywhere in the US or any other country as long as you deliver quality work

Richard F wrote:

Upwork is a gig ecomomy not a job board. You can be anywhere in the US or any other country as long as you deliver quality work

Well, you can't. Work permits, you know. 

Do you know what would happen to a person from another country that is physically in the US and works there on their laptop without a work permit? 

Nothing nice.

I still admire, though, your american can-do spirit, believing you are allowed to do anything you want in all countries of the world. It's so charming! Naive, yes, that too, but charming!

Martina, I edited my post up above if you would not mind taking a look at it.  I am not sure if edits show up in messages as new posts, so wanted to be sure that you saw my edit.  On that note, would you please let me know if edits do appear?  Thank you.

Christine B wrote:

Martina, I edited my post up above if you would not mind taking a look at it.  I am not sure if edits show up in messages as new posts, so wanted to be sure that you saw my edit.  On that
note, would you please let me know if edits do appear?  Thank you.

Your nationality or where you use to live in the past is irrelevant.
You need to consider 2 things:
Your country of residence, which is where you pay your taxes. Does that country allow you to work? There might be reasons you are not allowed to work (parental leave, sick leave, student visa but no work visa etc)

When you are staying in another country additional conditions might apply e.g. you need a special work permit there as well. When you planning to travel for a longer period this is something to find out first.

Upwork does not connect you with employers but clients. As a freelancer you can basically work with clients from all over the world but some countries have other restriction and might not allow you to work with clients from certain countries.That is something you need to find out for yourself.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths