🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Freelancer not being paid
Page options
mcilroymusic
Community Member

Freelancer not being paid

I am a freelancer, new to Upwork.

I submitted a proposal for a music composition job and when the employer replied in a message train and we began talking about the project and starting drafts, I thought that meant he had accepted the proposal. He was acting as if we were going ahead with the project. I worked a fair number of hours on the project and gave 2 draft pieces of music, but towards the end the guy just said he didnt want to work with me anymore and left.

He had access to a draft I already sent which was usable for him, and refused to pay me anything.  He is currently not responding to any messages.

I'm aware I've made a big blunder as a beginner, not making sure the proposal was submitted correctly. Is there anything I can do to get some funds from this guy? He still currently has other jobs open and is still active on upwork. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
2a05aa63
Community Member

Unfortunately, unless you have a contract with a client and they fund a milestone, there's no way to get any money out of him. You can report him for asking for free work.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Damian,

It is against the ToS for clients to request freelancers to do any free work. Please see Upwork Terms of Use for more information. I encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature in cases like this one. In the future, please do no not work on any project until a client has sent you an offer, you have accepted it, it’s showing on your My Jobs page as an active contract, and the client’s payment method is verified. 

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths