🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Freelancer tries to communicate via Skype
Page options
4c48505d
Community Member

Freelancer tries to communicate via Skype

Hello.

My name is Alina, I'm new to Upwork community, just join as a client. I published our first job, then some stranger added me at Skype and said that he's a freelancer and want to discuss the project. I worry because I don't leave my Skype contact (it's easy to find me with Name and Surname, but still). And I'm afraid that this contact isn't secure. 

What's better to do in this situation?

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

@Alina L wrote:

Alina, tell him to apply properly on Upwork and then decline him. It is unprofessional and he may not even have an Upwork account.

It is much safer NOT to include any identifying info on your job post (you can edit it) and to set the job as visible for Upwork users only.

4c48505d
Community Member

Petra, thanks a lot!

@Petra R wrote:

@Alina L wrote:

Alina, tell him to apply properly on Upwork and then decline him. It is unprofessional and he may not even have an Upwork account.

It is much safer NOT to include any identifying info on your job post (you can edit it) and to set the job as visible for Upwork users only.

But if he does, report him for contacting you outside of Upwork first, for a clear Upwork published job.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alina,

Sorry you've received an unsolicited message on Skype. On Upwork, other users can't see your name on your job posting. They can only see information that you included in the job description, title and questions as well as your location, hire rate as a client on Upwork and some other stats. Only after you connect with a freelancer by accepting their proposal or by them accepting your invite, they'll be able to see your name. Please, consider keeping all communication with freelancers you plan to hire on Upwork in Messages or at least to record all the main terms there in case any issues arise in the future.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths