cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Freelancers that cheat by going direct payment

Highlighted
Holly C Member Since: Oct 15, 2018
11 of 19

After telling the client I wasn't comfortable working outside of Upwork, I was blocked on google hangout. How do you report clients? 

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
12 of 19

Hi Holly,

Here's the help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
13 of 19

@Holly C wrote:

After telling the client I wasn't comfortable working outside of Upwork, I was blocked on google hangout. How do you report clients? 

In their job posting, there is a "flag as inappropriate" button, below the "save job" button.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
14 of 19

@Holly C wrote:

I know there is an Opt Out fee they can pay but I'm not sure if they paid this.

Holly, the Opt-Out Fee is a minimum of $3,500 so I doubt many clients pay it.

Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 19

re: "...I am new to Upwork but I have recently gotten 3 interviews. Two of which wanted to chat through google hangouts.... I have been offered a position which I would really like to take, however, I have been told that they track my hours and it's direct deposit."

Holly:

There is no real position there. Those people are simply trying to steal your money.

Many newbie freelancers have ended up losing 2 to 3 thousand dollars of their own money when they got involved with these scammers.

Highlighted
Holly C Member Since: Oct 15, 2018
16 of 19
Thank you for all the responses, I really appreciate the input. When I get requested for an interview, what would be an appropriate way for them to host it? Would it only be via Upwork? I feel a little dumb trying to figure all of this out. I’m a nurse but want to do some small writing projects on the side. I did see the tip sheet in a previous reply but any help would be great.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 19

It is up to you. Scammers mostly use Google Hangouts.

Many freelancers only interview using Upwork messaging tool. That is very safe.

But as a practical matter, scammers like to fake their identities, and they may not speak English with an accent that matches where they claim to be from. So you will rarely encounter scammers who interview using audio such as with Skype or a phone, or who will do video chat with you.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
18 of 19

@Holly C wrote:
Thank you for all the responses, I really appreciate the input. When I get requested for an interview, what would be an appropriate way for them to host it? Would it only be via Upwork? I feel a little dumb trying to figure all of this out. I’m a nurse but want to do some small writing projects on the side. I did see the tip sheet in a previous reply but any help would be great.

Holly, I'm sincerely not trying to be rude; and I'm not a Writer. However, I'd be surprised if Writers wouldn't have issue with your desire to be paid for your writing.  Your test scores were only "Above Average" for US Word Usage and English Spelling. Again, I'm not a Writer; but I'd definitely think paid Writers' skill sets would be higher in those areas; for example upper 10%.    

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
19 of 19

@Holly C wrote:

Hi, I am new to Upwork but I have recently gotten 3 interviews. Two of which wanted to chat through google hangouts and on the messages it says they do not have access to Upwork messages until access is restored. I have been offered a position which I would really like to take, however, I have been told that they track my hours and it's direct deposit. I know there is an Opt Out fee they can pay but I'm not sure if they paid this. I don't want to do something that conflicts with this site as this is where the job was posted. I told them I would be more comfortable working through the upwork site with tracking hours and payment. If we are given offers in this way, what is the best way to handle this? Thank you for your time.

Consider yourself lucky, it seems that some other freelancer flagged them and they have been suspended from upwork. 

The opt-out fee, as I understand, has to be paid by you, the freelancer and even then it is strictly a 1:1 relationship. The fee is prohibitively high (around 3K USD) and out of the question for most freelancers.

It's not that the client pays it once and is then free to happily work around the system with anyone he likes. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS