🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Freelancing in Sweden - how do taxes work...
Page options
fe4613e0
Community Member

Freelancing in Sweden - how do taxes work?

Hello,

I am fairly new to Upwork. I am living in Sweden but I am a citizen of the UK. I have an Upwork client based in China.

My question is, how does it work in terms of taxes in Sweden and earning through Upwork?

Do I have to register as self-employed in Sweden, with the tax agency (Skatteverket)?

Or is there some other way I should register my earnings on Upwork with the tax agency?

Do I have to do something different because my client is based in a non-EU country?

What is the best way of going about this? I am keen to do everything above board, but I would like to avoid getting double taxed, if possible.

I have tried speaking to 3 different people at Skatteverket but I am no clearer about what I should do. I also cannot work out what I should do based on the information on the Skatteverket website.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated, especially if you are freelancing on Upwork and are based in Sweden. Please help me, I'm so confused! I can provide more information if needed.

Thank you so much in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
fe4613e0
Community Member

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211061278-EU-Value-Added-Tax-VAT-

I have read through this help page. Does this mean I do not need to do anything in terms of informing Skatteverket about my earnings through Upwork? Does it happen automatically? Or do I have to declare it and pay taxes manually?

Any help anyone can give would be really appreciated. I just can't seem to work it out 

Hi Megan,

Please know that Upwork is not able to provide any tax advice. We would suggest you consult with a local tax expert.

~Andrea
Upwork
fe4613e0
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that, I suppose I am trying to ask other Upwork freelancers based in Sweden what they do about taxes. I have had no luck with tax advisors from the local tax agency.

So if anyone is a freelancer based in Sweden I'd be very keen to hear what you do about this problem.

Thank you in advance

Hey! Did you find any solution to this problem?

86ee80c3
Community Member

Hi Megan! I'm in similar situation now, if you found a solution, please share. 

Hey! Did you find any solution to this problem?

There is a Community Group you can join for Sweden, maybe you would have more chances there?

Groups - Upwork Community

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths