🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Frustrating Client, I really need advice soon
Page options
simple_sam
Community Member

Frustrating Client, I really need advice soon

I have been designing and developing a custom portfolio for 3 months. My client has paid me 100$ within this timeframe and 100$ is left to give. (which this person is holding from me). Everything is done and has been, I have revised 50+ times after its been completed.. The client does not like it and threatens my reputation as a new freelancer if I don't do more work, with a bad review when the project is completed and has been. I am about to cancel this project, accept a bad review, write a bad review for this client, take my work (edit it without the clients information, put in new information) and post it on my portfolio instead cause Its a beautiful design and fully functional website.  I know that If I cancel the project, the clients feedback will not show up on my profile. I'm ready to do that before this person does. I tried to explaining with articles **Edited for Community Guidelines** and by talking over the phone, but this person is being quite rude, Ive been doing alot of extra work and other freelancers have been giving me their advice along the way, but I'm nervous I just wanna say "You get what you pay for I'm sorry "name", I have already done so much extra work and have put too much time in for your budget, If you cannot pay me for the work I have done in the next 10 hours, I am cancelling this project. What's your opinion on my plan of action? By the way for new  web designer and developer freelancers, here is resources for how much websites should cost, dont be undervalued!  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have revised 50+ times after its been completed"

I would have revised it zero times.

The client would have paid me for the work as it was the first time I submitted it, or lost all access to my services.

Clients hire me because I am a professional. I know when the task is done. If a client wants "revisions," they can hire me using an hourly contract.

You should close the contract and stop communicating within this client. He is wasting your time.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have revised 50+ times after its been completed"

I would have revised it zero times.

The client would have paid me for the work as it was the first time I submitted it, or lost all access to my services.

Clients hire me because I am a professional. I know when the task is done. If a client wants "revisions," they can hire me using an hourly contract.

You should close the contract and stop communicating within this client. He is wasting your time.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Ryan, here is some unsolicited advice (do with it as you will): If you are serious about freelancing you should spend some time learning some fundamentals. You are essentially operating a small business and there is a lot more to it than having a marketable skill set and landing contracts. For instance, a very important element is positioning yourself to be credible with clients who are operating at a professional level and will not try to pull this kind of nonsense on you. I look at your profile and see an hourly rate of $75 but you keep your earnings private and on the job in question you've worked over the course of three months, doing countless revisions, with the expectation of being paid $100. That signals that you don't value your own services very highly which means clients won't, either. 

Also, spend some time reading about freelancing in general -- to succeed, you need to learn all kinds of "wrap around" skills including but not limited to positioning yourself competitively, pricing your services, vetting clients and project opportunities to be sure you only take on ones that are a great fit for you, managing projects and managing client relationships, plus managing your own business plan and goals and associated bookkeeping.

As far as UW goes, search for FLs are earning what you want to earn by doing the kind of work you do. Study their profiles--credentials, experience, and importantly, their profile overviews. How they present themselves and position their services.

UW is like the ocean with all kinds of sub-ecosystems and feeding strata. Nobody starts where they want to end up but you don't need to start at the bottom where the bottom-feeder clients live. In fact, you shouldn't because it's virtually impossible to climb out of, if that's where you build too much of your job history.

Good luck!!

You have some very good points Phyllis! I'm a young creative,  I enjoy what I do and I'm great at it. Freelancing is a whole new world for me and I'm just starting to figure out on my 3rd job that its my responsibility to educate people, and in theory operate a small business instead of create something pleasing. I have aready started pricing my services (excluding hourly rate) according to my living rate. and been looking at similar profiles. I'm going to get a plan of action in order before I move on with the next client. I have a question though, how do I research my client if I can't click or view their profile? I will never surcome to these bottom feeders again now that I know fully well how much my work is worth. I just hope its just not too late since I already did 3 jobs for garbage pay. (hence why there private) 

Ryan, clients don't actually have profiles.  Check the past jobs they've posted, how much they paid and how the freelancer rated them.  Other than that, you need to sharpen your interview skills and interview the potential client while they are interviewing you.

Ditto what Mary said. Freelancing affords a lot of flexibility and independence but also tremendous responsibility and professional discipline. There is an inherent power imbalance in the client-contractor relationship that favors the client because they bring the money. As freelancers we have to remember that nevertheless, we are in charge of our own business and act accordingly. It requires a deft balancing act. Gracious without being obsequious, accommodating within reason (and sometimes beyond if it serves us), firm in enforcing boundaries. Willing to examine our debacles to extract the lessons and then move on. Always prepared to be the adult in the room and find a win/win path forward if at all possible. 

IMO you are at somewhat of a disadvantage beginning your FL career via the online market without having had bricks-and-mortar experience in your field. But you have lots of qualified and talented company in that respect (across all categories) and it doesn't have to be a deal-breaker. Over time you will develop a spidey sense about clients and about projects that will help you recognize the best opportunities for you and avoid the ones that will be difficult to ensure great outcomes.

Or if you want to keep things simple... only do hourly contract work for now.

Until you have a better understanding of how long it takes to do things, and a better understanding of fixed-price contracts, based on reading in the Forum.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths