🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Funny story. Beware of: **Edited**
Page options
2b368812
Community Member

Funny story. Beware of: **Edited**

The offer looked good and I submit a proposal.

I get messaged on UpWork for my phone number.

They text the number I give and ask about Google sheets or excel.

Exactly:

**Edited for community guidelines**

Funny story is another messaged me this same thing this morning and I asked if they knew of the guy I was working with yesterday.  He asked me to research some items on Amazon and eBay.  If I had gone further I'm sure he would have asked me to buy them with my credit card and I'd be reimbursed accordingly too.

Ah for those wondering the second part of the task?

3 REPLIES 3
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kimberly,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I checked this and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork

re: "Funny story is another messaged me this same thing this morning and I asked if they knew of the guy I was working with yesterday."

In most cases, scammers don't know each other, or don't know each other well. The scammer community is sometimes described as "tight knit," but it is quite large. There are too many people in the community for them to all know each other.

They share the same scam scripts and scam packages, which are circulated widely in the scammer community. So seeing the same scams, even with exactly the same wording, doesn't mean that two different scammers know each other.

The first episode of "Trafficked with Mariana Van Zeller" (produced by National Geographic) is particularly worth watching if you are interested in the scammer community. This episode doesn't cover the SPECIFIC scams we see most frequently on Upwork, but the Upwork scammers are part of the same industry. This is currently streaming on Hulu.

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.55.10 AM.png

Preston H wrote:

re: "Funny story is another messaged me this same thing this morning and I asked if they knew of the guy I was working with yesterday."

In most cases, scammers don't know each other, or don't know each other well. The scammer community is sometimes described as "tight knit," but it is quite large. There are too many people in the community for them to all know each other.

They share the same scam scripts and scam packages, which are circulated widely in the scammer community. So seeing the same scams, even with exactly the same wording, doesn't mean that two different scammers know each other.

The first episode of "Trafficked with Mariana Van Zeller" (produced by National Geographic) is particularly worth watching if you are interested in the scammer community. This episode doesn't cover the SPECIFIC scams we see most frequently on Upwork, but the Upwork scammers are part of the same industry. This is currently streaming on Hulu.

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.55.10 AM.png

Preston, I love true crime, so thank you for the rec! Found something to watch when I can't sleep!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths