🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Hi Community!

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

4,578 REPLIES 4,578

Hello Anthony,

I'm new to Upwork and want to start getting work, however, despite submitting numerous proposals, clients consistently choose other freelancers who already have completed projects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

razu55_wpexpert
Community Member

Hello Mike... How are you?

Please, review my profile... https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~011eeb09fc27abb4d9

Hi Razu. 

It looks like your profile is set to Private. We won't be able to review it until you set it to Public. 

414c5a40
Community Member

Hi Mike!

I would absolutely love some feedback on my profile. 

Thanks,

Shaima

Shaima,

For starters, very nice photo.

Secondly, you are in a very special place. I have reviewed dozens of profiles and I have yet to see a medical writer come along. 

That's a very engaging, very useful skill. I, myself, have done medical content writing, which is not the same as medical writing. You are qualified to write specifically for a medically eduated audience, whereas I wrote articles for the lay person.

That said, you could earn as much as $100 per hour. Your rate, therefore, is way, way too low. 

In fact, it is low for genereic medical writing as well -- the type of writing I did. What I did was, essentially, copywriting for medical clinics -- articles like "What is tonselitis?" You, as a trained medical professional, can certainly do that -- $25 per article, if I recall correctly. But you can also do ghostwriting for doctors -- $50 per hour at least.

I would advise you to look through Upwork profiles for medical writers specifically. Look at the profiles of writers with good reviews and high earnings. See how they present themselves. Look at their rates. See what they might be.  For starters, chose a rate somewhere in the middle of the pack and raise your rates after you get a couple of good reviews.

Good luck to you.

Hello Anthony !

would you like to visit my profile ? 

please give me some feedback , it'll be helpfull for me !

Thanks !

Hello there,

I'm Raian a professional Graphic Designer. I'm a new freelancer on upwork and I want to provide good service to my clients according to my skills. I have sended couple of job proposals and all of my connects end. But not hired by any respectable clients. I know that in this field it needs to have patience. But I want to know that is my profile able for a client to attract on it and text me for hiring ? Does my profile need any changes ?

Please help, need expert advices !

Thank You.

Please, tell me about my profile... What should I improve...Thanks

Hello Anthony! 

I am new. Please take a look at my profile and give any suggestions for improvement..

Thanks 

8cf61262
Community Member

Hi Mike,

I would like someone from experienced freelancers to look at my profile. 

Thank you for your help.

Arjana M.

Hi Mike,

I would like someone from experienced freelancers to look at my profile. 

Thank you for your help.

Arjana M.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01df4ed9e9fd86eb93

Arjana,

Hello Beverly, Massachuusetts. Close to my heart; I went to school in West Newton ... spent a lot of time in Boston.

Anyway ... I don't understand what you do at all, so I can't comment on what to keep and what to lose .... but I'll give you some basic pointers and you can take it from there.

Your write-up would be perfect if you were applying for a job. That's decidely not what you are doing here. Here you are the owner and operator of a service  business. You already have the job. 

A profile is marketing and the end result you are looking for is that you hope someone will read a proposal from you, take a glance at your profile and end up writing you a note that says, "You sound like you might be a good fit. Can we discuss my project sometime?"

That's it. The profile is part of a scheme to convince someone you are a good person to talk to. 

And, yes, they want to talk to an expert ... but you don't have to go overboard.

Essentially, you have convinced me you're an expert ... but when you pour it on that much,, your appoachability goes way down. You're not trying to impress a human resources department here. You're just trying to say  hello to a potential client.

Who do customers want to talk to? They want to talk to experts who can solve their problem(s). So your task is to say, clearly, "I understand your problem(s) and I can solve it(them)." 

It's not complicated. Keep it simple. In a friendly, narrative form, say  "I am an expert at X who can ensure these results so you don't have to worry about this anymore." 

Clearly, I'm aiming in one direction without any understanding of what you do ... so there maybe a lot of hard evidence needed to convince someone you're an expert. I can't be the judge of that ... but you get the idea. What you've done looks like a resume, not a hello to your clients.  

Thank you Anthony!

Hey, this is Asma. Can anyone please check my profile and let me know where I can do improvements. I have been trying to get my first client but have been a long time couldn’t. 

Thank you for sparing a moment from your precious time 

e7dfa18e
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Can you please give me feedback on my profile?

Here you go https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01284302fc11152054.

Hi Ohidul,

It looks like your profile is off to a great start! And I can see that you already have some excellent reviews, which will really help bring in new clients. 

The main thing that I think could use some improvement is your main bio. It could really use a polish in terms of readability, conciseness, and clarity. 

When you write out something like this, here are the main points that you should focus on:

Your Industry – In this case, you mention you're in SEO, but not what you do within that niche. Even if you offer multiple services, you should choose a specialty to bring out right at the beginning. 

Example: "I am an SEO professional specializing in optimizing websites for maximum traffic."

Your Experience – Since you have less than 5 years of experience, I wouldn't include a specific number. Focus on quality rather than quantity by featuring the kinds of industries you typically work with. 

Example: I utilize my extensive experience in my field to assist clients in a variety of industries, including real estate, financial services, technology, and healthcare.

Your Solution – Clients usually don't care what you've done or can do unless they can clearly see how it applies to them. The service list you've included is okay, but make sure you also have a brief section specifying the kind of problems you solve for your clients. 

Example: I assist clients from a multitude of industries with maximizing traffic to their online platforms, solidifying their brand presence in an increasingly competitive environment. 

Results – It's a good idea to close out with some sort of statement about what kind of professional life your client can expect from working with you. This helps motivate them to move forward with making a purchase.

Example: With my help, clients in every industry have optimized their online presence to bring in revenue, without excess effort.

Hope this helps! If any of this is confusing, let me know.  

i am expert the Execution Managment System. when i make a profile i did not see any skill related to Execution Managment system

Celonis  used to  large data sets and am skilled with the following programs Accounts Payable, Task Mining, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Opportunity Management, Order Management, Procurement, Process Excellence, Supply Chain Transformation, System Transformation Real-Time Data Ingestion, Celonis Studio, Planning & Simulation, Visual & Daily Management

i am facing problem what i set the Heading name in my profile also what i search for job

this is my profile please help me....

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~012c5012f4e96ce0a4

ndegwa_maurice
Community Member

Kindly review my profile and advice accordingly. Looking forward to your response. 

48e35e6c
Community Member

Hi, I'am new to Upwork can you please check my profile and help me improve it. Thanks

ea750136
Community Member

fastdesigner21
Community Member
anumfatimaa
Community Member

Hi. Would love that!

3f906379
Community Member

Hi mike,

kindly review my profile and give your feedbacks 

idokop
Community Member

Please what am I missing out, my profile is 90% completeI have applied for several jobs and not even an invite. What can I really do to get my 1st job here. 

I will be grateful to get useful contributions.

robric
Community Member

Your profile looks solid to me Peter. However, from what you say you are not engaging with employers when you apply. This recent application landed me a great new project. Upwork employers value honesty and sincerity highly. They are looking for freelancers who are pleasant to work with! Try speaking to them directly about THEIR job. Richard

"Would you consider an easy going writer from South Africa who’s a pleasure to work with and delivers on time? If so, I have visited major cities in New Zealand and Australia and know our cultures are not far apart. I appreciate US$5 per 100 words and have space for 2,000 words a week. I’m sufficiently honest to admit I have not written articles for ecommerce stores for a while. To bridge that gap may I suggest I write one article on spec so you can judge for yourself."

18f9b460
Community Member

That's nice Richard

I would also love to get a honest review of my profile from you.

Thanks a lot 

ce9c9559
Community Member

Could you please check my profile? Thanks in advance

534f59be
Community Member

Hello Mike, I am new to Upwork and would appreciate feedback on my profile. I got immediate and positive responses to the first three proposals I sent. I am open to improvement.

Sarah,

OK, Bristol, Rhode Island, you've got a few common mistakes.

But the photo is not one of them. Good photo.

I'll start with your last sentence, because that suggests a slight attitude adjustment, but a critical one. You say at the end, "I'm a fast learner" or something to that effect.

Freelancers work for themselves. They run a business. "Diet And Fitness Consultng." As such, they do not tell the customers they want to learn, they tell the customers "I am the best ..." or basicallly "I am an expert." You must already know what you're doing if you're going to sell a service, because there is no back up. When you work for someone else, there's back up ... the employer. Freelancers work for themselves, so they don't have that back up, so they better be damned good at what they do.  

So that worldview adjustment is what your write up needs. First of all, your write up needs more white space ... break it up into short paragraphs. But you also write all this stuff about "I ... I ... I." You have to tell the clients what you will do for them ... "You ... you ... you."

Formula; FIrst paragrapsh short and sweet: "I am an expert .____." Second paragraph, "I can help solve these problems for you." 

What problems do your clients want you to solve? Get very real with this. Clients have real problems and if you can name them, they will think, "Hey, this person understands what I want." That's the approach ... marketing 101.

Hi everyone I hope you are all well...

My name is usman.  I am a graphic designer. I am new at Upwork. I just want to get your expert opinion to review my Upwork profile. How can I improve it to get the attention of clients? What are my mistakes and How can I overcome them. I would really appreciate your help.

here is a link of my profile

https://www.upwork.com/fl/~014e05a635374b871e

best regards

Usman...

HELLO

Hello Experts ... Can anyone please review my profile please? I was getting invitations from clients before but for 10 days I am not getting any invitations and my proposals are not getting accepted...

Can someone review my profile and tell me what are my mistakes so I can correct that mistakes...

here is a link to my profile...

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~014e05a635374b871e

regards

Usman...

eugenia_velasco
Community Member

Hi Mike, I am also new in Upwork and would appreciate if you can review my profile and give feedback on how I can improve it. Thank you.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01f53c1a5a633d0aa4?

Eugenia,

Hi. You've got a lot of great information in your profile, so that's a good start.

Unfortunately, it's way too long. 

Here's the trick: Convincing people that you are an expert is not as hard as you think. Just imagine you are at a party and you meet someone who says "What do you do?"

You say, "I am a bookkeeper."

They say, "Are you any good at it?"

So you start telling them why you think you're a good bookkeeper. At about sentence five, they raise their hand and say, "OK, OK, you don't have to tell me any more. I get it. You sound like you know what you're doing."

The profile is not that different. You want to sound friendly and you sound very friendly. But you also want to sound very confident and going on and on and on does not make you sound confident .... it makes you sound desperate. 

So see if you can cut your write up in half. Just put in the best stuff, but keep the friendly approach going ... 

Then, when you get one or two great reviews, double your rate. A low rate also shows a lack of confidence.

Community Member

Hello! 

I joined Upwork last week and would love to have some constructive feedback on my profile so that I can start making some real connections.  Thanks in advance!

Rachel G.

Rachel,

You could teach a course on how to write profiles. The standard advice is to be friendly and confident and say in paragraph one "I am an expert" and in paragrph two to say "These are the problems that I can solve for you." You've blended these together superbly.

And your photo is great.

And your rate seems appropriate.

I like to get the headline down to three words, so I would say "Risk Management Advisor" covers it ... but I confess I don't see others advising that same thing. That could be irrelevant advice, truth be told.

So ... the next thing you need to learn is how to write proposals. I imagine you don't need much help there, either, but one standard tricks is ... don't say "hello, my name is ..." Go right into "As a risk assessment expert with 25 years of experience ..."

Keep it short and friendly. The idea in a proposal is to sound approachable. The end result of a proposal is a discussion with the client on whether they should or shouldn't hire you, so you just want to sound open to a discussion ... and clobbering them with credentials is not the way to sound approachable ... 

After that, include something that tells the client you actually read their job listing ... then get to the point where you can write a proposal in 45 seconds or so. It can be formulaic, but not a form letter.

Hope that helps.

shak33lah
Community Member

Greetings, 

I would absolutely love some feedback on my profile. 

Thanks in advance. 

Shakeelah M.

dayosamuel
Community Member

Hi all, I'm quite new

I'd like to get a feedback on my profile https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01388058df77e93c8f

Thanks

alexandra_presto
Community Member

Hello!  I'm a UX/UI designer beginner.

Please review my profile 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0175ab69acfb5f227e?viewMode=1

Aleksandra, great start. Some things to consider: 1. Remove redundancies in the overview section e.g. name is already availalble at the top of he profile. 2. Change availability to hours per week. This will match you with hourly jobs. 3. Is it possible to get any testimonials from previous clients/employers? 

Good luck, I am sure you will find interesting projects on this platform. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths