🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
AndreaG

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

7,804 REPLIES 7,804
celgins
Community Member

Xavier,

Be sure to read through the profile review and links provided on 13 December 2023.

Also, ee the follow-up review (with the same links) provided on  4 February 2024.

aa93998b
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I am also new to Upwork. Could anyone please review my profile :-). Thank you very much for your help. 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01c5677035657d17a2

Tadeja

celgins
Community Member

Hi Tadeja,

Welcome to Upwork.

Your profile makes a good start, but it needs more details to convince clients to hire you. Clients come to Upwork with specific needs and they look for freelancers who can meet those needs and get results. Your profile summary is where you offer details about your experience, your services, and why the client should choose you.

Your approach in your overview/summary should start something like this:

Are you looking to launch a new product, service or enhance your existing marketing plan? As a Digital Marketing professional with experience developing effective marketing strategies, I can help you unlock your online potential and achieve higher conversions and growth. I create, launch and manage marketing campaigns across digital channels to promote products, services, or brands.

You can change the words but you get the idea--immediately tell clients what you can do (your services) and how you can help them. In addition to telling clients about your services, tell them about your approach to providing those services and why your method is beneficial to them. For example:

• Describe your strengths and why it should matter to the client.
  • Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback to ensure the final deliverables meet their needs.
  • Do you provide unlimited revisions or edits? Do you offer follow-up support after a project is completed?
  • Which digital marketing tools do you use? (i.e., MailChimp, Canva, HubSpot, Trello, etc.)
  • Highlight any similar projects you have worked on and your accomplishments.
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

Clients looking for digital marketing experts will find plenty of them on Upwork. The question is, do they have enough good reasons to choose Tadeja? The information you provide can help them better understand why they should hire you and how it will benefit them.

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression, and clients often look for a visual representation of your work. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Your video introduction is great, and your skills and employment history look great.

Once you update your summary and add a portfolio, clients will have a better understanding of your services and how you can meet their needs or solve their problems.

Good luck!

4cca1a39
Community Member

Hi, I would looove some feedback as I just created my profile 🙂 Thanks a lot ! 

Alice,

Look up some  Upwork content and copywriters and try to find ones with some solid earnings and lots of jobs. Check out how they sell themselves. You can get some ideas off of them. With what you've got, that would be the quickest way to figure out what you need.

Good luck.l

Community Member

Hello my dear fellow freelancer colleagues,

I'm using Upwork for the last 1.5 years or may be a few months more than that. I have sent many proposals to many clients, however, I still didn't get any response from the clients neither, I got the opportunity to do tasks for my clients which could get me some reviews and feedbacks for my profile. So, could you all please be kind enough to take a look through my profile and kindly give me your feedbacks regarding where am I going wrong and how shall I get in touch with a number of clients easily.

I hope to hear from you all soon. Sorry for the trouble. Thank you.

celgins
Community Member

Hello Afra,

The last few years have been a challenge for many freelancers. Competition is high in many skill areas--especially popular areas like data entry--so getting attention from clients can be difficult.

You have good information in your profile, but I would make a few revisions:

Title: Capitalize the first letter of each word in your title; this will help it stand out: Data Entry | Google Sheets and Google Docs

Overview/Summary: Remove this: "Welcome to my profile! I'm Afra NawarWhy? Because clients will see the first 200-250 characters of your summary when searching for freelancers. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience)--not greetings and names.

Project Catalog: You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

The other sections of your profile look good. If you have the Connects to spend, keep trying and hopefully you will win some jobs soon.

Good luck!

1fabb2a7
Community Member

Hi everyone!
New here, can someone please give me some feedback about my profile? Thank you 

celgins
Community Member

Hi Modupe,

Your profile will be confusing to clients. Your title says you are a medical doctor and your overview/summary starts with experience in healthcare writing and medical research. However, the rest of your summary focuses on English teaching, data collection, and other things unrelated to medicine.

I suggest making a decision about the specific services you want to provide on Upwork. If you wish to provide healthcare writing and medical research, your summary should focus on your writing and research services, how you can provide the services effectively, your experience providing the services, and why clients should choose you to provide the services.

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Once you add more substance to your summary, clients will better understand the services you provide and how you can help them.

37dfcf55
Community Member

I would Request for feedback suggestion of profile.

Currently in houston a person loves to travel arround the world ! My Passion

I'm a Sales technologist/Analyst with several years of experience in Telecommunication, E-commerce, Wordpress Website Developmnet & Logistics. I focus on Sales Revenue Optimization, Trend Analysis, Business Development, and Customer
Lifecycle Management, utilizing BI Portal Software and Data Analysis data-driven strategies. My expertise lies
in digital business models, revenue growth, Excel Dashboards, Promo designing & customer acquisition. Data
Mining and Analytics, as well as using Artificial Intelligence models for CRM automation. I'm passionate about
actionable insights, addressing revenue leaks, engage dormant clients. Google Digital Marketing Certification,
member of the ITC SME Academy and Business Export Potential Map Analyst. 

Asif,

To be honest, I don't love your profile. The reason: It's all about you.

What about the client? They would like to know if you are thinking about them, not just yourself.

The way to switch that around is to write a paragraph or two that features the word "you." That's a word that can fit nicely into a sentence sometimes two or three times. "Your business will grow because of your new marketing strategy." Of course, that's a horrible sentence, but you get the idea.

Here's the thing: A doctor sees a patient. He or she then makes a diagnosis. The key to being a great doctor isn't curing everything, it's making the exactly correct diagnosis, then doing the best you can. 

Here's the thing with a profile: If you can make the right diagnosis, your clients will think, "Wow, This guy understands us. Let's hire him!"

So, you have to make the right diagnosis. You have to be able to say clearly what the problem is. Can you do that?

Why do people come to you?  Because sales are sluggish or flat. You have to tell your clients you get that. "Your sluggish sales can be fixed ..." or "I have helped other companies increase sales ..."

Why else do they come to you? For better brand recognition. "With my services, I can expand your brand awareness ..."  

If a client reads that you understand their problem, they will hire you. They won't hire you because you only talk about yourself.

The rule of thumb is two short paragraphs about yourself, then two longer paragraphs about your clients ... naming the benefits they will get from hiring you.

You just say "I'm good at this and I thrive at it ... " No mention of your clients, even once. You gotta change that.

24e4e7f3
Community Member

Please can anyone take a look at my profile and help me out.

Here is my profile link

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0145e41e995ddb1a41

celgins
Community Member

Collins,

I like your profile, but I think it needs to go a bit further.

You do a good job of describing your experience and front-end development services, but most front-end developers will say the same things. To distinguish yourself, you must provide more information to help clients understand your value. For example, you can add the following to your overview/summary:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback during a project to ensure the final product meets their needs.
  • Do you provide unlimited revisions? Do you offer follow-up support after a web project is completed?
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

Clients are looking for reasons to choose good front-end developers, but it has to go beyond skills. The information you provide can help clients better understand why they should hire you and how it will benefit them.

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. Clients will expect to see visuals from a front-end developer and the portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on them. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Good luck!

97a19b91
Community Member

Hola soy nueva por aqui y aunque tengo mucha experiencia (tengo 58 años) , soy nueva en esto del trabajo virtual y busco oportunidades para comenzar en este tipo de actividades virtuales , con trabajos sencillos, realmente no busco un trabajo relacionado con mi experiencia laboral sino oportunidades como freelancer que me permitan generar un ingreso, por eso enfoco mi perfil hacia una asistencia virtual. Gracias por cualquier comentario que aporte a mi perfil.

celgins
Community Member

Hello Carolina,

The first thing I will say is that most clients come to Upwork with specific needs and they look for freelancers who can meet those needs and get results. Most of these clients are looking for freelancers who are experienced or experts in their fields. Even for simple jobs, clients often look for freelancers with experience providing services to complete similar jobs.

The good thing is, you have a wealth of business, administrative, and sales experience, and this will help you provide great virtual assistance services.

Your overview/summary starts nicely and includes good information regarding your personal background and passions. However, clients need to read more about your provision of virtual assistance services. There are hundreds of thousands of virtual assistants on Upwork, so clients will look for reasons to choose you. For example, after your first paragraph, you can talk about your approach to providing virtual services and why your methods are beneficial:

• Talk about your typing speed, accuracy, attention to detail, and maintaining quality standards.
  • Also talk about your time management and organizational skills.
  • Mention the tools/applications you are familiar with (i.e., Microsoft Office, etc.)
  • Talk about your ability to solve administrative problems and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

I also recommend adding a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you do not have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Your skills list and employment history look great.

With a little more details in your summary, I think your profile will be in much better shape to convince clients to hire you.

Good luck!

1487c2d1
Community Member

Hello,

Please take a look at my profile here and give feedback

celgins
Community Member

Hello Angela,

The first thing you should do is change your profile photo. The picture in your photo should be a close-up image of your head and shoulders that clearly shows your face. Read through Upwork's best practices for How to Choose A Good Profile Picture.

Your overview/summary starts nicely, but there is not enough information there to convince clients to hire you. Almost every data analyst on Upwork--thousands of them--will provide the same information you offered in your summary. To make your summary more appealing to clients, you must provide more information about your data analytics services, how you can help clients, and why they should choose you.

For example, you can significantly improve your chances of being hired if you:

• Tell clients exactly what you can do... (i.e., interpret and analyzing complex data sets; use data sets to uncover valuable information about growth, financials, etc.; use extracted data to develop better business strategies.)
  • Tell clients how you will communicate and gather feedback to ensure the final deliverables meet their needs.
  • Mention that you stay informed of the latest developments, trends, and emerging technologies in data science and machine learning.
  • Talk about how you can uphold ethical standards, protect sensitive or proprietary data, and use responsible practices for data collection and analysis.

Clients are looking for reasons to choose good data analysts, and the information you provide can help them better understand why they should hire you and how it will benefit them.

There is a really good item in your portfolio, and I think it will help if you add one or two more items. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients, and clients like visuals. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Your skills and certifications look great. And, your statistician job at the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics is highly relevant to your data analytics services, so clients would love to read a more detailed job description in your employment history.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

b207c7ec
Community Member

New to upwork and this whole setup is too demanding, bought time you search for a project or a job to do then you have to go through hurdles upon hurdles. Then when I uploaded a gallery of work I had to do extra stuff on that. So, forget it I'm gone.

116fc77b
Community Member

Hello Upwork Member,

Please take a look at my profile and your valuable comments will be highly appreciated

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01b3200ac05e60fdde

celgins
Community Member

Hello Satyam,

Very nice updates after the review on 18 February 2024. Your summary reads much better; your title looks better; and your portfolio, skills, and certifications are good.

Good luck!

116fc77b
Community Member

Thanks a lot for your appreciation.

f4852a5c
Community Member

i want to review my peofile

celgins
Community Member

Muhammad,

You offer a lot of good information in a short paragraph in your overview/summary, but it's probably not enough to convince clients to choose you over thousands of video editors on Upwork. Almost all video editors will say they can edit videos and produce a quality product. To make yourself stand out, you must add details about your process and explain how your services will benefit clients.  For example:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback to ensure the final product meets their needs.
  • Talk about your attention to detail and how you maintain quality standards.
  • Do you provide unlimited revisions? Do you offer follow-up support after a video project is completed?
  • Highlight similar video projects you have worked on over the past four years and your accomplishments.

Clients are looking for reasons to choose you and the information you provide can help them better understand why they should hire you and how it will benefit them.

Add a little more detail to the job descriptions to each job in your employment history. Both jobs are highly related to the services you provide on Upwork, and the job description helps Upwork match you with YouTube and Instagram video editing jobs.

Your video introduction, portfolio, skills, and project catalog look good.

Good luck!

Community Member

Hello my dear fellow freelancer colleagues,

I'm using Upwork for the last 1.5 years or may be a few months more than that. I have sent many proposals to many clients, however, I still didn't get any response from the clients neither, I got the opportunity to do tasks for my clients which could get me some reviews and feedbacks for my profile.

So, could you please give me some tips or ideas how I can get more clients and their reviews to boost my profile?

celgins
Community Member

Hello Afra,

See the review provided on 21 February 2024.

5bdee395
Community Member

Hello, guys! 

Cold you please check on my profile? Need a sincere opinion about it :

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/zomaconectivearchitecture

Carolina,

I like your profile. The standard advice is not to say "Hi there, I'm Carolina Z ___" because your name is already in bold at the top of your page, because it's not a great idea to put your last name online like that, and because Upwork shows clients the first 200 words of a profile and you've wasted five of them saying, "Hi there, I'm Carolina Z____"

All that said, I don't like lists, either, but you handled everything very gracefully and it looks pretty solid. I'd just give it a few months. You can change things any time you like. So if it seems to be not working, look up other interior design profiles and find ones that are doing well and see what you might learn from that. (You can do that anytime, too.)

Good luck.

2ba0201d
Community Member

Hello!

I'm new to Upwork and want to make sure my profile is as strong as it can be, do you mind taking a look?

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~010818cf939e0e8829

Ian,

There's nothing wrong with your profile per se (at a glance). What needs to happen, however, is you need to study the writers' market a bit.

You seem to know the Internet world is 99 percent content writing. That's a good start. But the publishers of content have specific needs. You should try to say the things they want to hear.

I'm apt to stick my neck out and say stuff you already know, but I guess, we'll just have to chance it.

Online, the hierarchy is blogs, content articles, SEO and then everything else. Everything else includes copywriting, I suppose, and there's plenty of that. Less available are news spots, features, columns, and the rest of the stuff you see in a weekly.

Content publishers want to hear that you can explain things clearly, that you can keep an audience on the page (on their website) and that you can produce a lot quickly. They also want to hear (everyone on the Internet wants to hear this) that you can produce publication-ready copy. They don't say this much, but the Internet has created 1,000,000 poor paying writing jobs and eliminated 1,000,000 adequate-paying editor jobs. So it helps to say, "I can produce error-free copy." That's code for "I understand there's no editor and you're paying me to do both jobs ... sort of."

You should study up on SEO writing. It pays better. Outside of  Upwork on the corporate level it pays very, very well. Upwork does not attract those clients, however. 

SEO publishers want to hear a whole raft of key words. They want you to say that quality writing counts (although they seriously don't mean it). They want to hear you say you know how to research keywords and rankings. They want to know if you can set up links from one site to another. They want to hear you can keep readers until the end.  Mostly, they want to hear that your writing can improve their rankings. 

In effect, you should fit those words into your profile, because publishers will be looking for people who know the score. name drop these skillls, I estimate it takes, more likely than not, 90 minutes on line or a three-day seminar held at a Holiday Inn near an off-ramp of I-95, to learn everything you need to know about  SEO. 

You probably know all this stuff, but those are my thoughts. Say the things content publishers and SEO publishers are looking for. Use their robotic terminology ... join the cult(s).  If not, they'll just look for someone who sounds like them.

bbc99461
Community Member

Hola Andrea, por favor, echa un vistazo a mi perfil de Upwork y hazme saber si cumple con los requisitos de los clientes potenciales.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01d5546e740c9cbd75

celgins
Community Member

Hello Loly,

Andrea is an Upwork Moderator. The moderators provide valuable information to freelancers and moderate the forums, but they do not provide profile reviews. Other freelancers offer to review profiles and provide feedback.

I looked through your profile and I see good information. I have a few suggestions that might help improve it.

Your overview/summary sounds good, but I recommend removing this: "Welcome to my profile.I suggest removing it because it takes up space. When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience). You do not want to waste space with greetings.

The rest of your summary sounds good. I would end your summary with an action statement like:

"Let’s discuss your projects and tasks and how I can help! I’m available for a video call through Upwork Zoom to better understand your needs."

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Everything else looks good.

kashirudin
Community Member

Last year, I earned my top-rated badge on my Upwork profile. Before that, I was receiving some decent profile views and a couple of job invitations every month but, now, I am not getting any profile views and receiving job invites. 

Despite receiving the job invites most of them were fake/spam jobs. I am attaching a screenshot of one of the offers. 

I am wondering if you guys are getting profile views and invitations. Do you have any tips that I can follow?

I always keep my profile and portfolio updated and optimized though I would appreciate it if you could check my profile and share any suggestions.

Thank you.  

Kashirudin,

Many freelancers are experiencing the same drop in profile views and job invitations. Competition on Upwork is high, so much of it is related to the volume of freelancers here. Other factors might include algorithm adjustments and how it places your profile and proposals in search results and listings.

I looked at your  profile and I do not see any huge problems. I typically optimize the first few sentences of the overview/summary because potential clients see the first 200-250 characters of your summary when searching for freelancers. For example, I would remove this:

"Get engaging and high-value content for your social media!"

"Hi, I am Kashirudin."

Neither statement provides much value to clients but takes up 79 characters of space. Clients would much rather see more of your services and offerings in those first 79 characters.

The rest of your profile looks fine.

7342de33
Community Member

Please review my profile and give me the feedback. 
Here is my Profile link : https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~011fbdb8a903a7f939

Thanks.

celgins
Community Member

Shayan,

Your profile is set to Private. You must set your profile to Public or Only Upwork users so we can see it.

Thanks.

oruamgraphiks
Community Member

Hello everyone from sunny (now nighty) Lisbon. 

I’m Mauro, and I specialize in branding for architecture and the built environment, covering everything from interior design, furniture, and lighting to building materials and manufacturing.

I've worked almost for 10 years in the creative industry on several design studios and handling projects on my own.

From December that I've been active on the platform and already got 3 projects. But I've been reading that things have changed in UpWork and it has been more difficult to attract those right clients. 

So, I kindly ask you to give me some honest feedback on things that I could improve on my profile or any other tips you find usefull. 

My profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/mauroalexandresantos

Thank you. 🙂

Hello Mauro,

I think your overview/summary sounds good, but it should go a bit further to convince clients to choose you. For example, you can:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback to ensure the final product meets their needs.
  • Mention that you stay informed of the latest trends in branding and emerging technologies.
  • Do you provide unlimited revisions? Do you offer follow-up support after a project is completed?
  • What software applications and tools are you familiar with? (e.g., Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator, Canva, etc.)

Clients looking for brand designers will find thousands of them on Upwork. The question is, do they have enough good reasons to choose you? The information you provide can help them better understand why they should hire you and how it will benefit them.

You are missing a few important skill categories in your skills list. You should add Brand Design and Brand Development since both are highly relevant to your work. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Your portfolio, certifications, and employment history look good.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot Clark! 

I will definetly have all that into consideration. 

Much appreciated. 🙂

4afd462e
Community Member

Hello everyone! I would love it for you to visit my profile. I'm looking forward to getting started!

Argentinian Spanish and English teacher you're looking for
celgins
Community Member

Hello Alison,

I like the start of your profile overview/summary. However, I think you should make it more client-focused. To make the first part of your summary more client-focused, I recommend revising the "I'm looking for an opportunity" part. Here is an example:

I'm an Argentinian Language teacher passionate about Spanish and English as a second language. I help people who want to learn how to think through a second language to broden broaden their minds, improve their way of thinking, and work in this constantly changing world. I can offer

-Personalized lessons 1:1 for all purposes, in English or Spanish

-A calm and comfortable space to begin your learning process

-An interesting and fun enviroment to keep developing your Second Language

-Adapted resources to your level, knowledge and interests

-Conversation lessons with updated resources from daily news, internet videos, memes, and more!

(I recommend revising the first part of the second paragraph to sound more client-focused. Instead of making offers, tell clients what you can or will do.)

I have also been working with many different companies and groups of students and coworkers, and I can help your company with engaging, highly effective Spanish and English language training that teaches students reading, listening, speaking, and writing modalities.

As as an educator, I understand the importance of patience and compromise, and my responsability to keep up with all my students. I'm commited to comply with my client's requirements to provide an excellent service to anyone seeking to start or continue their learning process, but in a renewed, updated and communicative aproach approach to engage students in their tasks.

Other value I can offer:
- Flexible timetable and availabilty
- Group managment
- Project creation or managment
- Constant development of knowledge, skills and resources for all lessons
- Creative and engaging activities and tasks.

(Now, use an action statement to close your summary.)

Let’s discuss your language learning needs and how I can help! I’m available for a video call through Upwork Zoom to review your requirements.

There are two reasons I recommend this approach: 1) clients are more interested in how you can help them and less interested in a freelancer's motives (even if your motives are great, which they are); 2) clients can see the first 200-250 characters of your summary when searching for language teachers.This means you have very little space to get their attention. You want clients to see their goals (your services) in those first few characters.

You don't have to use the exact words I used; you should change them to fit your style. But you get the idea--keep most of your focus on helping the client.

I think you should add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. A sample training outline, sample English-Spanish lessons, or sample learning activities will give clients a glimpse of your services. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression and clients like visuals. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

The other sections of your profile look good.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths