🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Hi New Upwork Freelancers!

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The Community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,582 REPLIES 3,582
f8a4273f
Community Member

Hi everyone,

This is Emrah,

I have created a "Digital Content Creator, Social Media Manager" account and sent some proposals already.

However, I'm kind of new here so, it would be great to hear your opinions about my profile.

Thank you in advance & have a great day!

Emrah M wrote:

Hi everyone,

This is Emrah,

I have created a "Digital Content Creator, Social Media Manager" account and sent some proposals already.

Hi Emrah,

Welcome to Upwork! First thing - we know your name. It's on your profile. No need to repeat it in the copy. Second, as a content creator (assuming you are writing in English), your grammar has to be 100% correct. Unfortunately, you do not come close to sounding like a native writer and as a client, I would not want to hire you to write my posts or content. FYI you meant to write "Let's connect" not "Let's contact".

You also don't seem to have real-world experience besides writing your own posts. It will be difficult to compete with the native English writers. Perhaps consider a different area?

Hi Robin, thank you for the feedback.

You expressed my hesitations. I guess I need to focus on the jobs in my native language. Still, I updated my profile description with your suggestions.

Thanks again! 

Emrah M wrote:

Hi everyone,

This is Emrah,

However, I'm kind of new here so, it would be great to hear your opinions about my profile.

Thank you in advance & have a great day!

You absolutely have to have a portfolio so that clients can see your prior work.

I don't know what you mean about listening to music and drinking beers, this is unlikely to happen as this is remote online work. 

Hi Dear

I am new at Upwork but I am a very experienced person at my jobs. I want to grow my career with Upwork but I am unable to rank my profiles, Can anyone give me some guidelines for a better career. I want to work here for a long time. 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01c99d9240811c489d

This is my Id 

Thanks 

Md H wrote:

Hi Dear

I am new at Upwork but I am a very experienced person at my jobs. I want to grow my career with Upwork but I am unable to rank my profiles, Can anyone give me some guidelines for a better career. I want to work here for a long time. 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01c99d9240811c489d

This is my Id 

Thanks 

Hi Md H,

First note, at least in the U.S., it's inappropriate to address a proposal as Hi Dear, so just in case you are addressing clients that way, best to just leave out the "Dear" and just say Hello and get to business. 

Your specialized profiles are much better than your general profile. At the very least copy and past your specialized over to your general because as a client, I'd never even bother with you looking at that basic list of tasks on your general profile. 

So, that said, for your specialized profiles, you've got a good start. I would nix the first line question though, and start right off with the second paragraph. Your list of tasks that you specialize in is good, and I think in this context you should consider adding those green checkmarks or another icon to give it a more appealing list look. 

I would consider moving up the "why they should hire you" material, and I would also think of more specific reasons why they hire you. Lots of people are accurate, fast, and meet deadlines. Could you mention relevant experience that could support why you are accurate, fast, and meet deadlines?  I'm not a big fan of testimonials in the profile text section, but in your case it could help you to have a previous client or supervisor give you a quote saying something positive. 

96f42d46
Community Member

Hi There,

I would also like some feedback on my profile please. May I ask how the connects work too? I have applied for 3 jobs, two of which seem to have been filled. Should my connects be returned to me in that case? What if I withdrawl my proposal?

Many Thanks

Sherridan

Hi Sherridan, 

I would delete the first two sentences. They can see your name and they don't need to know you value honesty. They need to know what you offer.   The first two lines are the most important. A repeat of your name is not useful. 

Your profile is a good start. I'd if you can add any awards or unique achievements that show your ability to accomplish the described tasks. Even a quote from a former client or supervisor would help on your profile. 

Also, I suspect you should change your English fluency to Native or Bilingual.  Fluent typically means you learned English as a second language, and based on your profile and post, it sounds like you are a Native English speaker, although I could be wrong, of course. 

yogda
Community Member

I have been on this platform for a month now ..I have 20+ years experience in coaching / talent acquisition & HR - but I am unable to crack any project ..Bought connects again but still not able to convert ..Pls suggest..May I request for a feedback on my profile .. Would love to fix what is broken

Sherridan P wrote:

Hi There,

I would also like some feedback on my profile please. May I ask how the connects work too? I have applied for 3 jobs, two of which seem to have been filled. Should my connects be returned to me in that case? What if I withdrawl my proposal?

Many Thanks

Sherridan

Connects are returned in very rare instances, not if you withdraw, jobs expire or somebody else is hired. 

As Amanda has said, lose the introduction. A client only sees the first 2 lines of your profile before clicking on it - if he is interested - so don't waste those. 

I personally don't care too much if somebody says they are honest - that should be a given. 

Sherridan P wrote:

Hi There,

Many Thanks

Sherridan

You don't get connects back when a client hires somebody else or you withdraw your proposal. The best way to do this is to send proposals (many), and then forget about them until you hear back. I know it's hard not to check again and again when you are new here, but it's a complete waste of your time and energy. 

shahzaibca
Community Member

Hi... I am new to upwork freelancer network. Can you please review my profile and suggest improvements.

Shahzaib K wrote:

Hi... I am new to upwork freelancer network. Can you please review my profile and suggest improvements.

Shahzaib, the best part of your profile is your "brag"  paragraph at the end. Move that to the top. Take the current first two sentences and close out with your professional association. 

Also, try to get a clearer profile pic. The one you have is grainy and hard to see you.  Clients like to see who they are working with and get that personal feel. 

Shahzaib K wrote:

Except for a better picture that is not out of focus, looks really good. Agree with Amanda on all points. 

kc001
Community Member

hey everyone, im new here and would realy like to make working on Upwork work well for me. im a image retoucher i have years of experience .  i have just submitted my second bid on a picture. please give me all the advice you can so i can do well here. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Katherine C wrote:

hey everyone, im new here and would realy like to make working on Upwork work well for me. im a image retoucher i have years of experience .  i have just submitted my second bid on a picture. please give me all the advice you can so i can do well here. 

Hi Katherine, 

Your profile text needs a lot more information. This is where you "pitch"  what you do as a service. Right now it reads like a boring list of some things you can do, and not a pitch to me as a client. 

Also, I would change your profile pic to a more professional looking one and not one with a filter. 

Katherine C wrote:

Your picture must show you only without any silly filters (sorry, not professional). You MUST have a portfolio to show your prior work and skills. 

Expand more about what you can do for a client and tell him why he should he hire you - not in words, but in your most dazzling presentation!

adunnon
Community Member

Thanks Mike J! I am looking to improve my marketability.

897e1365
Community Member

Hello! 

Would you please review my profile? Thank you for offering to help those of us who are new to the freelancing profession!

Leeanna

Hi Leanna, I think you're off to a good start. I might take some info from the credentialing course you mention in your education and talk about it in your profile. Also mentioning that you are trained in MLA, so that would be a specific niche for you. Other proofreaders have often included a sample list of the different kinds of material they proofread, that could be useful for you to add as well. If you have any client testimonials, those would be useful too.

Thank you for the feedback!

I will try to emphasize the course that I took.

Do think that with all of the years of experience that I have in medical
billing, that I might make that a niche? I am very familiar with medical
terminology.

Leeanna

Leeanna S wrote:
Thank you for the feedback!

I will try to emphasize the course that I took.

Do think that with all of the years of experience that I have in medical
billing, that I might make that a niche? I am very familiar with medical
terminology.

Leeanna

Absolutely! I would highlight that you have unique understanding of medical terminology and so are well positioned to proofread those types of documents. 

lesliejoseph1031
Community Member

What a great service to offer new freelancers! I am new to Upwork, and I would like to have feedback on my profile. 

Thank you,

Leslie J

Leslie J wrote:

What a great service to offer new freelancers! I am new to Upwork, and I would like to have feedback on my profile. 

Thank you,

Leslie J

Hi Leslie, your profile looks really strong. A couple of notes for better use on Upwork. On your portfolio piece, can you add an image?  Even if it's just the logo of the client or study so that it pops out more. 

On your profile text, Upwork profiles seem to do better when worded in the first person. So instead of "Leslie is XYZ",  it's  "I am a XYZ."  I resisted this at first myself and had a bio in the 3rd person, but I did notice a change in invites and responses when I shifted my profile to the first person.  And really it makes sense. In this format speaking of yourself in the 3rd person is disconnecting and somewhat pretentious (unintended, I'm sure), and clients want to feel like they are interacting with you. Speaking directly to the client in your own voice in your profile makes it more real.  The only other suggestion I have is to make sure each sentence is really geared towards showing what you can do for the client, versus  listing achievements. 

Hope this helps! 

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and constructive feedback. This is
just what I need and wasn't aware until today that I could request help.

You've been very helpful. Thanks again!

Leslie

Hi Amanda,

I updated my description in the first person thanks to your recommendation. How do I add an image to my portfolio? And how do I edit/update my experience? I don't see a "pencil" icon for that section.

Thanks again,

Leslie

Leslie J wrote:

Hi Amanda,

I updated my description in the first person thanks to your recommendation. How do I add an image to my portfolio? And how do I edit/update my experience? I don't see a "pencil" icon for that section.

Thanks again,

Leslie

Hey Leslie, I'm going to flag this for a moderator because my profile shows the pencil icon next to my education. 

In the porfolio piece, there should be an option to upload an image as well as a description. 

Hi Leslie,

I checked and everything looks good on our end. You should be able to hover over your existing portfolio item in order to edit it and add photos. You can click the plus sign next to your Education section in order to add a new entry there and use the pencil button to edit existing entries. Please let us know if you experience any issues updating your profile.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. The only thing I cannot see how to add is a photo
to my portfolio. as was recommended. Do I have to use the Gallery View for
photos?

Leslie J wrote:

Thank you,

Leslie J

Good picture! I personally don't like much if the text is in the 3rd person, smells too much like a resume, and more importantly, is distant and does not create an instant connection to the reader which should be your first goal.

Quoting your experience is important, but put that last, and focus more on what specific services and skills you are able to provide, and tell the client how you will solve his problem and make his life easier. 

lrbeaudoin
Community Member

Hi everyone

I've been making some changes to my profile, I've attended a few webinar in order to improve my visibility.  The last few changes I've made provided some improvement in the response.

I would be greatfull to receive feedback to further improve my profile.

Thanks

Louis-René Beaudoin 

Louis-Rene B wrote:

Hi everyone

I've been making some changes to my profile, I've attended a few webinar in order to improve my visibility.  The last few changes I've made provided some improvement in the response.

I would be greatfull to receive feedback to further improve my profile.

Thanks

Louis-René Beaudoin 

It needs to be public for anybody to see it.

Hi Martina,

I made my profile public.  I presume this does not have an impact for jobs from upwork.

Thanks

Louis

Louis-Rene B wrote:

Hi Martina,

I made my profile public.  I presume this does not have an impact for jobs from upwork.

Thanks

Louis

It makes no difference when you send a proposal to a job posting, but if a client is looking for freelancers to invite to his posting, you will not show up in search results. 

You have a private profile. You need to make your profile public, So people see it to give you feedback. Smiley Happy

Hi....

I joined Upwork as a full-time freelancer in July 2020 and from then, I have submitted a large number of proposals for job posts. All those proposals were well aligned with my skills and experience. But it is with disappointment to mention here, that up to date, I have not received a single invitation from any of those clients. I wonder whether there is something written wrong, in my job profile. Can anyone kindly help me in this regard?

Thanks in advance,

Crishantha.

shiwaligupta
Community Member

Hey UpWork Community,
Can anyone pls tell me how can I improve my profile further? Pls? I got some time today to spend on my profile...so if u have any tips for me....pls share them... Thanks

Shiwali G wrote:
Hey UpWork Community,
Can anyone pls tell me how can I improve my profile further? Pls? I got some time today to spend on my profile...so if u have any tips for me....pls share them... Thanks

1 typo in your title alone (especially painful as you are a writer) - sorry, back to start! 

Personally, I would refund the client who gave you 3* to which you responded accusing him of asking free work - doesn't look great, (this would remove the feedback from your profile) as it may put clients off. 

Consider tidying up the copy on your profile. You alternative between capital letters on random words which look bad for sentence structure - especially when saying you are English native proficiency. 

Also, portfolio work with "Call YourSelf To Action Now !! It's The Time!" without examples of said work within that particular portfolio module is best off deleted. 

jmbong1887
Community Member

Hello Mike..

I'm new here in upwork can your help me to review my profile. I made 6 proposal but no response yet.

Your help is very much appreciated

Best Regards

Feliculo I. Ramirez

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths