🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Hi New Upwork Freelancers!

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The Community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,582 REPLIES 3,582
7f869a55
Community Member

Hi! I'm new on Upwork, and I'd like to have a feedback about my profile. Thanks in advance.

Claudia P wrote:

Hi! I'm new on Upwork, and I'd like to have a feedback about my profile. Thanks in advance.

Put you experience and education after the skills you offer, and especially make the first 2 lines enough attention-grabbing so that the client will click on your profile to see more. 

You have to add examples of your prior work to the portfolio section - clients will want to see what you have done and if it matches what they are looking for. 

In all, looking good!

Thank you for the feedback!

jaelli01
Community Member

Hi,

I am interested in getting feedback on my profile.  I am new to this platform and new to freelancing.  Any advice would be useful.

Thank You,

Jacquelynn 

Jacquelynn C wrote:

Hi,

I am interested in getting feedback on my profile.  I am new to this platform and new to freelancing.  Any advice would be useful.

Thank You,

Jacquelynn 

I'm going to be brutal, but you'll thank me later (or not). 

1. Your rate may be negotiable, but that should not be the title of your profile, nor be mentioned in the text. Never.

2. No mention of inexperience and wanting to learn. Clients expect skilled experts.

3. Lose all the mumbo jumbo resume talk, a word salad of buzzwords that says absolutely nothing. This is not a resume.

4. Your best way forward is to research other successful freelancers - go to the job search function but pull of freelancers instead of jobs, and filter the results.

5. Finally, a nice smiling pic would be better. 

You want to present as a skilled professional, and never come across as desperate. 

Hi Martina,

Thank you for your feedback.  

A few follow up questions to your comments....

-Should my rate being negotiable not be in there because that is not allowed on this platform or for a different reason?  Feel free to educate, I've never done freelance work before.

-As to inexperience/wanting to learn.....I just read/applied to a few posts that indicated they would be willing to hire a person that has the right mix of value and experience.  Again, is this a website rule or just a general piece of advice for freelancers?
-Do you have any specific rewording of the paragraph in the overview section?

-Thanks for #4, I will take a look
-Working on #5...That's the best I have for now.

Thanks for your input! 

Jacquelynn C wrote:

Hi Martina,

Thank you for your feedback.  

A few follow up questions to your comments....

-Should my rate being negotiable not be in there because that is not allowed on this platform or for a different reason?  Feel free to educate, I've never done freelance work before.

-As to inexperience/wanting to learn.....I just read/applied to a few posts that indicated they would be willing to hire a person that has the right mix of value and experience.  Again, is this a website rule or just a general piece of advice for freelancers?
-Do you have any specific rewording of the paragraph in the overview section?

-Thanks for #4, I will take a look
-Working on #5...That's the best I have for now.

Thanks for your input! 

1. You are allowed to negotiate any rate with your client, the minumum requirements on upwork are 3 USD per hour and 5 USD per fixed price job. But you never want to tell clients upfront that you are willing to negotiate, it's a bad look because it appears desperate. What you also want to avoid is having wildly different rates on jobs, that looks as if you are again, desperate to get anything. 

2. General advice. You always want to appear professional and skilled. There might be very specific skills that a specific job requires, but generally speaking, only very rare clients would be willing to teach freelancers. There are millions of freelancers here, and the client will be able to find a person who has that skill already. This is not teaching on the job, this is not a job. 

3. I don't. It's up to you to present professionally, capable, and let your personality shine through. What makes you special? Why are you the best person to hire? Don't forget a personal touch. 

4. It's obvious you are very new to this. Lose the "remote" in your title - all of this is remote. You need to forget all you ever learned about applying to full time employment, and aquire a totally new mindset. These are gigs. Small jobs, short term, always looking for the next client. Always selling yourself. Put yourself into a client's shoes. Look at other profiles. Who would you hire? What text appeals to you?

ec20820c
Community Member

Would love some feedback as I'm new to this. This is my profile. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Regards, 

Hamza

9664a1d9
Community Member

Hello,

I would like to receive feedback on my profile. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Alma

Excellent start, Alma! Here are a few things to consider:

1. Consider a comprehensive title such as Accountant and Bookkeeper or Certified financial accountant or Tax filing expert etc (depending on your certifications and interest).

2. Consider reading freelancing resources (9 tips in particular) given under Resource center. I found that there are at least 6 tips that you could include. 

https://www.upwork.com/resources/9-tips-create-freelancer-profile-stands-out

3. Lastly, is it possible to get a couple testimonials from your prior employers/clients?

Good luck, I'm sure you will get your first contract within no time. 

Thank you for the feedback. I will work on this.

Alma R wrote:

Hello,

I would like to receive feedback on my profile. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Alma

It's a bit short. Expand it a bit and find a way to appeal to a potential client's emotion. Yes, even with bookkeeping. As in: Do you worry about your receipts piling up in that shoe-box? I will record them, organize the data in an Excel sheet, and provide the analysis on a monthly basis. (Don't use that, I copyrighted it.) You get the idea. Be approachable.  Most people who have a small business hate the bookkeeping part. But you don't! Tell them that. 

You need a portfolio, even if it's only a further descriptions of your skills with a nice colorful pic on it. It grabs attention, which is what you need when a client clicks trough dozens of profiles. 

sobryan
Community Member

I feel I must be doing something wrong. I have the experience and resume, but I can't get jobs. The ones I do get turn out to be scams, or asking me to buy something for reimbursement.

Any advice?

aditipie
Community Member

Susan, indeed you do have extensive experience. Receiving scam invites is frustrating! I can offer few suggestions for your profile: 

1. Consider reading freelancing resources under Resource corner. It gives details about how to write a profile. Then you can change your profile accordingly e.g. providing value proposition or the change you can bring.  

2. Consider adding a portfolio. You can use articles that you may have written prior to joining Upwork. (Or from the completed jobs if the client agrees).

3. Also, review the list of skills keywords. One way to do that is find your "dream job listing" and look at their keywords. Include those keywords as applicable.   

Good luck, have fun freelancing. 

sobryan
Community Member

Thank you! Great words of advice, and I'll certainly follow through with
the suggestions.

Kind regards,
Susan

Greetings Aditi!

Could I please get a review as well? I'm new to this platform and I have been sending my first few proposals today.

Susan O wrote:

I feel I must be doing something wrong. I have the experience and resume, but I can't get jobs. The ones I do get turn out to be scams, or asking me to buy something for reimbursement.

Any advice?

I like the start, it demonstrates that you are skilled with words. But then you slip into the old resume buzzword word salad that just makes me want to scratch at my laptop screen. Lose it. This is not fulltime employment. These are small gigs. (Replace it with something else, not just delete. Your profile needs a good size length of text, not too short, not too long. Something a client will read till the end.)

Once you get into a freelancer mindset, I see no limits to your success on the platform. You present serious and experienced, that is good. Now add lots and lots of your prior work in your portfolio, and you're all set! 

wpxpro
Community Member

Hello Friends,
Please review my profile and let me know what should I do to make it more professional. 
Thanks

Babar S wrote:

Hello Friends,
Please review my profile and let me know what should I do to make it more professional. 
Thanks

Use a better picture, neutral background and smiling, and add examples of your prior work in the portfolio section. 

Thanks Martin,
I'll take care of it and mend accordingly.
Thanks

jahnigen
Community Member

I would love feedback on my profile(s)!!!

I'm relatively new to Upwork and have been unsatisfied with the number and and quality of jobs I've landed. Can't seem to land jobs that pay what I'm used to in freelancing in other forums.

I'm a multiskilled hybrid professional with over a decade of experience. Writing, editing, marketing web content, blogs, memoir ghost writing, fiction. Perhaps I'm not specialized enough to be searchable?

Also wondering what are best practices for sharing examples of my ghostwriting work that I don't "own" or aren't printed with my byline?

Kat J wrote:

I would love feedback on my profile(s)!!!

I'm relatively new to Upwork and have been unsatisfied with the number and and quality of jobs I've landed. Can't seem to land jobs that pay what I'm used to in freelancing in other forums.

I'm a multiskilled hybrid professional with over a decade of experience. Writing, editing, marketing web content, blogs, memoir ghost writing, fiction. Perhaps I'm not specialized enough to be searchable?

Also wondering what are best practices for sharing examples of my ghostwriting work that I don't "own" or aren't printed with my byline?

Kat, you need to make your profile public so  we can access it from the forum. Thanks! 

alum1_
Community Member

I would like my profile to be reviewed. And also given tips on how to land my first upwork project.

Alum J wrote:
I would like my profile to be reviewed. And also given tips on how to land my first upwork project.

Re you profile: much too short, a potential client will read it in half a second, find nothing to capture his attention, and move on. 

Expand it, tell the client why you are the best person for the job (not in words, but in your presentation), add a portfolio. Crop the picture to only show your face. 

Re the tips how to land a job: they are pinned on top of this section. 

askslidev
Community Member

I am working in UpWork from last 2 months. I completed 18 jobs and having 100% JSS. My profile is also 100% completed. Why I am not receiving any job invitation? Can someone please review and tell me what are the things I can do to improve my profile to get more clients?

Hi Arnab,

I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions:

• You sign it like a letter, but you actually sign it twice and have two postscripts. You also introduce yourself by name. This is repetitive and unnecessary.
  • The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. 
  • Be clear on your expertise and mention specialized software or tools.
  • Your written English skills are strong and you are easy to understand. However, I did see a few minor errors. If you'd like to add extra polish, you might want to consider using Grammarly. I use this myself and really like it because it's free and it offers a Chrome add-on so it works in webmail, messages, proposals, and more.

To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Thank you for your input. I will surely work on that.
mohsin-khann
Community Member

Hello Everyone,

I am a new freelancer. I don't know how to make an attractive profile and skills related tag to rank up on Upwork search results. Can you give me a suggestion that I make my profile attractive?.

Thank you.

Mohsin

moustafaragab
Community Member

Would love this, please. Rv

youssefle
Community Member

Hello, I would like to hear some remarks from you on my profile ?

Thanks for your comments.

Your profile is not currently public Youssef

Hello, Thanks for the remarks. I have changed it now to public, it was public for upwork users.

bandewarninad
Community Member

Hey guys. I am new to Upwork. Please review and let me know if I can make my profile better. 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01da6fe1d0bd9e7bc2?viewMode=1

Thanks. 

Excellent start, Ninad! 

1) Consider changing your availability to >30 hrs or < 30 hrs, so that the clients for hourly jobs can reach out to you.

2) https://www.upwork.com/resources/9-tips-create-freelancer-profile-stands-out Go through each of these tips alongwith the links provided for each one. At a first glance, I notice atleast 3 areas of your profile can be changed per the 9 tips article.

3) Add a portfolio. You can add work that you may have done in the past. 

Good luck, you will get your first client within no time.    

Thank you so much Aditi.

I will change my availability and will go through the link and upgrade my profile accordingly. 

jfa3913
Community Member

Hi! I would like a review on my profile. I'm new using Upwork and I'm hoping to build up my freelance profile. I've submitted several propsals but have yet to hear anything back. Some of the posts ask to attach work examples but the videos on my profile exceede the max mb when submitting proposals. Look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!

Here is the link to my profile https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/~01e9e7357b841b13b5/

mshamali1987
Community Member

Hi community 

I am a bookkeeper and new on Upward platform and my goal is to get a long term contract in us and Canada 

I need to get reviews on my profile is there are any Wrong or mistakes that may be affected on the ability to get a job on up work 

I need feedback 

I submitted about 10 proposals for jobs on Upward and I can't get any of it.

link of my profile: https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/~01191c4e585e191b09/ 

thank you 

Mohammad

my profile is turned into private so I put my profile contain her 

Accountant & Bookkeeper, Quickbooks online & Xero expert 

Hi there, Welcome to my own profile in Upwork platform, thanks for your concern and time to review my profile, let's take you a tour in my profile and I will answer some your questions: Why I am here in Upwork? I am a virtual bookkeeper, provide bookkeeping and related services to empower your business with remote services through Up work platform, cloud accounting software, remote desktop. Who is working with me? And how I do that? I support SMEs businesses with virtual bookkeeping and remote accounting, by a full bookkeeping cycle from creating workflow process accounting until prepare accounting statements, that contain the following: - Set up the accounting workflow process, and customize it based on business needs. - Set up the accounting software, accounts (Quick’s books online, Xero, etc.), I can help with the chosen subscription plan. - Bookkeeping based on (weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly). - Prepare an accounting, financial statements (financial position “balance sheets”, profit and loss statements “income statement”, cash flow statement, management reports) according to IFRS for SMEs. - The Bank reconciliations. - Integrate and convert data between apps and accounting software. Why should you work with me? I am an accountant for +10 years ago to now, through that I work in two dimensions: First, I am working as a tax accountant, I have worked with more than 500 firms records, that I have Analyzed its financial records to check for inconsistencies and errors, My mission was to verify the validity of the accounting data, and check of compliance with the relevant tax laws and regulations, that was helped me to get big knowledge to work with multi industries and understand how it works and deep understanding how to customize bookkeeping to satisfy different needs of different companies. Second, I work as a virtual bookkeeper through the cloud accounting world and local business. My review on other platforms was 5 stars some awesome reviews were saying: " Mohammed is. Delivered work before the deadline with high quality. Highly recommended!!!! Will buy again". "Awesome person to work with. Once I pass the work, I do not have to worry about it at all. Provide the requirements ACCURATELY. Always super easy to communicate with." "Very professional. Very recommended." So I utilize my extensive experience, knowledge in accounting and finance to work on your project, that knowledge comes from: I have a master's degree in accounting and finance, my interest area of study was startups financial and accounting information system. I am ProAdvisor for multi-accounting cloud software systems, such as I am an expert ProAdvisor Quickbooks online, expert XERO certified pro advisor. I can use (Zoho, vend, Jubnumbes, wave, A2x accounting, Hubdoc, Tsheet, Receipt bank, canvas, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, avalara, etc.) I have an approach to work with a remote accounting job, contain those steps: - Meeting with you through an Upwork message to get more information about your business and its needs. - Review accounting software accounts set up and connect your sales channels to accounting software. - Suggest any related apps that make your workflow more fast and smooth. - Review the chart of accounts and edit it if any need it. - Set-up inventory items. - Set-up classes and locations, tags feature. - Integrate sales data through your sales channels to be in one place “accounting platform”. - Set-up a bank's feeds and rules. - Set-up payroll if you have. - Manage accounts receivable and accounts payable. - Reconcile your accounts with your bank statements. - Prepare a trial balance for your CPA. - Schedule any reports that needed. - Prepare internal financial reports. Working on bookkeeping your account I will need to give me access to: - The account of accounting platforms (QBO, Xero, Wave, Zoho). - The account of your apps (eCommerce, vend, etc..) - Statement of your banks. - Suppliers statements -Any requirement of reports that you need. How to connect with me? Feel free to connect me through Up work messenger if you have any issue related to bookkeeping and accounting issues I am available to discuss any issues related to accounting software and apps workflow. Thank you for considering reading my profile, and I am available for any questions related to my experience. Regarded, Mohammed  lessShow less text

sacalarumut
Community Member

Hello,

I am a new freelancer, would you give me some advice about my profile,please?

Thanks,

Have a nice day.

83a45ffd
Community Member

Would love this. if someone do

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths