🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelan...
Page options
AndreaG

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

7,804 REPLIES 7,804
celgins
Community Member

Hello Sunetra,

Be sure to see the review of your profile provided on 13 February 2024.

Thanks.

7dab926a
Community Member

Hello!

Please have a look at my profile and give me a feedback

celgins
Community Member

Kenneth,

Every area of your profile needs to be updated. You need to add more to your summary and add more graphic design related skill categories to your skills list. Also, it is critical for a graphic designer to have a portfolio.

Make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. The best way to complete your profile is to go through the following Academy Courses and other resources:

35fc6256
Community Member

Greetings!

I'm Abhishek, a versatile professional with expertise in graphic design, video editing, motion graphics, and social media management. Since I'm new at upwork, I was seeking for some profile reviews including the portfolio! 

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as I continue to evolve and expand my professional horizons.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

My profile link - https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0153e369e09380dc0c

Shake,

I would delete the 4 plus years of experience business. Having experience just means you were in the room. When I see "I have 10 years of experience," I still don't think that proves much. 

And 4 years isn't that impressive. 

There are other ways to validate your claim to be an expert, ways that are more convincing. How about "I have worked on projects for schools, retail businesses, non-for-profit agencies and private weddings." Dosn't that sound professional? Try to validate your claims with tangible information ("I have done work for 100 different clilents in differenrt settings..") and not abstractions, like "4 years of experience."

Hi Anthony,

Good point! I'll make the changes. Thank you for your genuine suggestion! Appreciate it :))) 

74a5236b
Community Member

Hello

I am new on the upwork and I am Struggling to get my first job please anyone check my profile.

celgins
Community Member

Muhammad,

Your profile is not set to Public. You must set your profile to Public or Only Upwork users so we can see it.

You can also provide a direct link to your profile.

a5090dc6
Community Member

Please have a look at my profile and let me know if anyone is willing to give me the best feedback.

Thank you.

Jacob,

Just a couple of quick thoughts. First, is there a reason you have your eyes closed in  your photograph? It's a bit disconcerting.

Seccondly, be careful with the words you choose. You say something like "Let's keep in constant touch." Do you know what constant means? It means continuously. Do you think people who hire freelancers want to be in touch with them 24 hours a day? In fact, freelancers work remotely and generally on their own. What clients expect and have every reason to believe is that freelancers absolutely know their work so well that they do NOT need to be in touch with every nagging question that comes up. As such, not only do they not want freelancers to bug them with questions all day long, they don't want them to bug them with any questions beyond the first few that are required to get a project rolling.

What are you trying to say ... that you can't work independently???

Think about the message you send. You thiink you're being polite, sensetive and friendly ... "Let's keep in constant touch." But the message is not always interpreted as you think.

Say things like, ,"I can work independently to create the project you envision ..." Will that include a few questions? More than likely, yes, But "keep in constant touch" ... let's hope not. 

a3fd802b
Community Member

hii! I need help with my porfile, i'm new and i don't have any experience. Im studying translation so i dont have my official certification neither.

Marcos,

Please write four paragraphs for the Summary, use all 15 Skills, add your Portfolio, and a Project Catalog.

dipg20
Community Member

Please can you help me to rank my profile and give feedback .

celgins
Community Member

Deepa,

Your profile is not public. You must set your profile to Public or Only Upwork users so we can see it. Or, you can provide a direct link to your profile.

gautamravi64
Community Member

Here is my Upwork profile link, kindly review and share your feedback

https://www.upwork.com/workwith/ravigautam27
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01491b649707af1db7

Gautam,

Remove "With 5+ Yrs Experience" from your profile title. Experience information should only appear in your overview/summary.

Don't be afraid to use a grammar checker to optimize your profile. There are a few corrections needed here:

I'm a Google & Microsoft (Bing) Certified Professional Digital Marketer with 5+ years of extensive digital marketing experience in multiple business niches. I do a quality job where you can meet your expectations.

My core expertise skills are:

What differs sets me apart from the rest:

Add a short job description to the job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Your portfolio and skills list look good.

Good luck!

8d26c73f
Community Member

Hello,
This is my profile : https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/kaziwasifamins
Expecting feedbacks from experienced rockstars! Constructive critisism is appreciated.

celgins
Community Member

Hello Kazi Wasif Amin,

Very nice profile. Your summary is concise, but offers enough information for clients to understand your services and your potential value to them.

Your portfolio looks great and each item uses attractive graphics/videos, and descriptions. I think your video introduction, skills, certification, and employment history look good too.

You should consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

6158a225
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm Besufikad Girma, an Architect freelancer on Upwork, and I'm looking to improve my profile to attract more clients.I'd love to hear feedback on how I can strengthen my profile and land more projects that align with my skills and experience.

here is my profile

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0148c51d1e7b90b36f

celgins
Community Member

Hi Besufikad,

Here are a few things you can do to strengthen your profile:

Title: Capitalize the first letter of each word in your title; this will help it stand out. Also, remove all commas: Licensed Architect | AutoCAD & Revit Expert | Drafting | 3D Rendering

Overview/Summary: Remove the first line of your summary: "★★★ EXPERIENCED ARCHITECT ★★★"

Why remove it? Because when clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. You have very little space to get their attention. Do not waste space with emojis and use full sentences to tell clients about your services and how you can help them. For example:

Skilled architect with 3+ years of experience in architecture, interior design, 3D modeling, and rendering. I use AutoCAD and Revit to create floor plans, layouts, objects, animations, and more. As an AutoCAD and Revit expert, my goal is to create realistic animations and product visualizations with detailed and accurate representations.

I am the best fit to hire for any of the following:

(...)

Employment History: Add a short job description to your job at Square Architects. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

Project Catalog: You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

maharjannikesh
Community Member

Hi,

Here is my profile: Upwork Profile Link

I'd love to receive feedback on how I can improve and strengthen my profile.

Thanks.

Hi Nikesh,

Your profile has good information for clients to review. Here are a few areas you can improve:

1) I recommend removing "Hello, I'm Nikesh Maharjan" from the first sentence of your overview/summary. The reason is because greetings and names provide no value to clients, which means they waste space.

When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want to include as many important words as possible in this small space (i.e., services, skills, and experience).

Also add blank lines between paragraphs to make your summary easier for clients to read. For example:

Hightly skilled Software Engineer specializing in Javascript technologies such as React, NextJs, NestJs, and Express. Armed with a Bachelor's degree in IT from London Metropolitan University, I bring a robust educational foundation to my work.

I've successfully contributed to diverse projects, including developing ERP solutions for agriculture companies, creating healthcare applications, crafting fintech tools for an Australian mortgage broking company, and implementing a SaaS-based model to restrict app access.

My expertise lies in delivering high-quality solutions that align with clients' needs. I am particularly adept at short-term projects, with a maximum duration of 6 months. My goal is to bring efficiency and innovation to every project I undertake.

Let's collaborate to turn your vision into reality!

You can add more value to your summary by focusing on a relationship with a potential client. There are thousands upon thousands of software engineers on Upwork, and most will mention the same specialities (i.e., JavaScript, React, Nextjs, Express, etc.) Clients are looking beyond skills to determine if spending money on you is worth it. For example:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback during a project to ensure the final product meets their needs.
  • Do you provide unlimited revisions or updates to applications? Do you offer follow-up support after development?
  • Mention your time management and organizational skills.
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

2) Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

3) Here is something to consider with regards to your skills list: clients often know they need an application developed, but they might not know which frameworks or tools a freelancer will use. Many clients do not search for skill categories like Jasmine, Karma, Protractor, Jest, and PostgreSQL. However, clients often know they need a software developer or full-stack developer. With that, I would consider adding Full-Stack Development and Software Development to your skills list. (Upwork removed "software engineering" a while back.)

Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

4) Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

5) You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

f2c47421
Community Member

Please have a look at my profile and kindly advice on how this could be improved upon to better position myself for gigs on upwork. Thank you.

Link to my profile => https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01b812297a64e61765

celgins
Community Member

Isaac,

Most clients come to Upwork to hire freelancers--not employees. Your overview/summary starts by telling clients that you seek a career within an organization. Freelancers are independent service providers who deliver products/services to businesses, groups, or individuals (clients).

Use your summary to tell clients which software engineering services you can provide, how you can meet their needs, and why they should choose you over thousands of other software engineers on Upwork. For example:

• Tell clients that you can design, develop, test, and maintain software applications and platforms.
  • Tell clients which frameworks or tools you use for development, testing, versioning, etc.
  • Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback during a project to ensure the final product meets their needs.
  • Do you provide unlimited revisions or updates? Do you offer follow-up support after an application is developed?
  • Highlight any similar projects you have worked on and your accomplishments.

With your current profile, most clients would not be convinced to hire you for a sofware project. You must offer more substance so clients see the value in hiring you.

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Update your skills list to include skill categories related to software engineering and software development. Upwork no longer includes Software Engineering as a skill category, but there are several other relevant skill categories you can add.

21cd3ce4
Community Member

please review my profile and please provide me feedback to improve my profile

Ankita,

Please set your profile to public so it can be reviewed.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Andrea and Support,

This thread is getting too long and is starting to not load as often.

f18dcf76
Community Member

Hello! I hope you're all well.
Would you please take a look at my profile and tell me how is it going? I just created it yesterday and I'm afraid that maybe I'm trying to offer to many services at once.

The link to my profile:
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~013be8b43cc543b4a0

Thank's for your help!

celgins
Community Member

Hello Valentina,

Your service offerings seem somewhat related. I can see the relation between transcription, localization, and translations, but they're all only loosely related to proofreading. One of the best ways to approach this is to use one or two Specialized Profiles. A specialized profile is basically a second and/or third profile and can offer specialities based on your main profile skills, or completely different skills.

However, you may be able to keep everything in your main profile as long as you give clients a good idea of how they're related. You might be able to do that through your title. If we look at each section of your profile:

Title: Be sure to capitalize the first letter of each word in your title; this will help it stand out. Then, decide if your main profile will focus on proofreading. If it does, I suggest a title like: Spanish/English Proofreader | Transcription, Translations, Localization.

Overview/Summary: Don't focus on you first--especially not your education. Clients come to Upwork with specific needs and they look for freelancers who can meet those needs and get results. Clients are interested in how you can help them, so they want to see words that focus on them. This is why the first two sentences of your summary are very important.

When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want clients to see their goals (your services) in this small space. Since your education is not their goal, I recommend revising the first part of your summary to mention your services first. For example:

I'm a dedicated language professional providing high-quality proofreading and copy editing in Spanish, beta reading in Spanish, translations (English to Spanish and Spanish to English), localization and cultural adaptation, and general transcription.

With a bachelor's degree in Hispanic and Classical Literature and fluent English proficiency, I can provide a wide range of language services to meet your needs:

(...)

Portfolio: Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Skills: You are missing a few important skill categories. You should add English to Spanish Translation and Spanish to English Translation. Adding both will match up well with your title (be sure to add Spanish and English to your title as suggested above ) and your summary, which already includes Spanish and English. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Employment History: Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork. Also, capitalize the first letter of each word in the job titles (i.e., Proofreader, Copy Editor, Press Manager); keenly aware clients will look for things like that.

Project Catalog: You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

f18dcf76
Community Member

Clark this is wonderful, very thorough. Thank you so much!
I'll apply the changes right away.

careyeliz
Community Member

Hi, Can you please give me feedback? I only worked a 2 week contract and neither myself or the client reviewed each other. Does that look bad? 

Hi Carey,

Freelancers and clients sometimes don't leave feedback after a job is completed. I don't think it looks bad, but positive feedback from clients will help boost your Job Success Score.

Your profile is not public. You must set your profile to Public or Only Upwork users so we can see it.

c6acca91
Community Member

Hi dear freelancers

I am new to this platform. I have taken my skills here additionally to offices. It seems amazing when I read amd scroll it. Now, I need your advices. That will help me to develope my profile. Feel free to tell me everything usefull. 

Thanks,

Hussein M.

celgins
Community Member

Hi Hussein,

Most of your profile looks fine, but you need to work on your overview/summary to make it more appealing to clients.

Remove the first line: "(:clapper_board:) TOP RATED PLUS ELITE Video Editor (:clapper_board:)" Why? Because the first two sentences of your summary are very important. When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience)--not emojis, or repeated words from your title.

Plus, words like "top rated plus elite" have no meaning to clients. Your profile does not have a Top-Rated badge, so you should not use this term.

Most video editors on Upwork have similar skills, so you should use the first two sentences of your summary to tell clients how you can help them. For example:

I am a skilled Youtube Video Editor who goes beyond typical video processing. I emphasize quality in videos and content to achieve an aesthetically pleasing and clear look. I can edit social media videos, films, short clips, music videos, promotions, commercials, Youtube intros, marketing videos, audio clips, and other footage.

If you start your summary this way (without the emojis) quickely shows clients your services, which is what clients are interested in. Make the same adjustment for both specialized profiles.

Add a little more details to the job description in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

Good luck!

c6acca91
Community Member

Wow, Thank you very much Clark.

bf46864a
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to upwork and have just finished creating my profile. Any tips or suggestions on how I could imporve it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

celgins
Community Member

Hi Nicholas,

Welcome to Upwork.

Very nice start to your profile. I have only two suggestions that might help improve it:

1) Your overview/summary is well-written and informative, but I would make a slight revision to the beginning. Here's why: when clients search for freelancers on Upwork, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to grab the client's attention. You want the client to see their goals (your services) in this small space.

Since every character of space is important, you don't want those first 200 characters wasted on emojis or adages/statements. I would also reduce the number of words used so that clients see all the important words. Here is how I would revise it:

With over a decade of experience in data science, I can seamlessly handle data entry, transcription, analysis and visualization tasks with a meticulous touch. I'm an expert Data Scientist who uses scientific methods, algorithms, and research to extract insights and knowledge from large datasets.

🧐 Attention to Detail That Sets Me Apart:

(...)

You can modify it as you see fit, but you get the general idea--make sure clients can see some of your services in the first 200-250 characters.

2) Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Your skills and employment history look great--lots of marketable skills and experience.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

736fa49c
Community Member

I'm sure you will not regret it, we turn words into values 

take a look! 

celgins
Community Member

Hi Doaa,

Veils and face coverings for cultural reasons are welcome, but not surgical masks--not even for those working in healthcaer. Millions began wearing face masks at the height of the pandemic, but you should not wear one in a profile photo. Read through Upwork's best practices for How to Choose A Good Profile Picture.

Make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. The best way to complete your profile is to go through the following Academy Courses and other resources:

bdc16e56
Community Member

Hello! I have 15+ years of experience in product design, mainly with SaaS startups. 
Sent about 10 proposals, but I don't even get a profile views.

Here is my profile link, appreciate any feedback!  Thank you.
Danke A. - Product Designer | UI UX | Interaction | Concept Design

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths