🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelan...
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Hi New Upwork Freelancers!

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The Community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,582 REPLIES 3,582
ama_nnanna
Community Member

I'm seriously loosing it, and I need someone to tell me what I'm not doing right.

Why have I been unable to get a single job on upwork nearly a year after joining? Or am I simply a total failure?

I've tried everything those blogs on freelancing talk about. 

"Tailor your application to suit client's need"

"Don't use a generic application format"

"Attach work samples relevant to what the client wants"

"Don't write long applications letters"

"Call the client by their 1st name"

"Do this and do that"

I've tried everything. What's wrong with me?

80% of the applications I submit, the owner of the job never checks their job posting again.

Should I rather understand this remote writing gig isn't for me, and try doing something else?

Why am I a perpetual failure? 

Hi Ama,

First of all, it's great that your open to feedback and looking for a bit of advice.

I would definitely suggest to don't give up and work harder. Beginnings are always tougher.

I can give you a few suggestions on how I think you could improve your profile:

1. Get professional and more friendly-looking foto
  2. Upload some work samples you might have (even if it was just for personal use)
  3. If you have any employment/ other experiences update those sections as well (even if it's just something small)
  4. If somebody has written to you testimonials include those(in your profile details section or request them through LinkedIn)
  5. Instead of being, "I" oriented (I’m a freelance, I work, My goal, Talk to me ) try to come up with something which would put a client first.
    Clients are interested in how you can help them to achieve their goals and less interested in you.

These are my ideas, you can choose what you think would help you. 

Then just put hard work to writing a personal proposal to each client. (don't start with Hi there but rather Hi ~name~, start providing value even in your proposal etc.).

Hope it helps.

All the best, Ama. 

Hi Ama.

First, don't be too hard on yourself bro, this is the part about freelancing that we don't read about until we get in. I can confidently tell you that a lot of the top-rated freelancers started like this. So chin up mehn, you'll get there.

Moving on, seems you're doing all the right things in terms of proposals cos I apply those same tactics, and out of every 20 proposals, I get 2 interviews (you see how crazy the statistics are right???). What you need to work on is your profile. It looks incomplete like there's too much missing.

You should add your writing gigs outside upwork on your portfolio. Check out other content writers to see how they add works to their portfolio and use that format.

Add your employment history, certifications, education, and other experiences. This will make your profile look rich.

One other thing, if you can is to add an intro video, not everyone has it but if you want your profile to be seen more, an intro video is the surest bet. You can add a project catalog too.

All of these are to help make your profile presentable and rich. It will complement your proposal in that, once a client likes your proposal, your profile will solidify his interest.

I hope this helps.

Keep pushing bro, you'll get there.

f82b88fd
Community Member

Hello,

I am new to upwork. Still unable to find a job.It will be great if experienced member give me some help and tips for me.

Regards,

Dewapriya

Hi Dewapriya
Let me share some tips regarding bidding with you. A huge DON'T is that do not create a general bid template and use the same for all the projects that you bid on. Always read the project description carefully and your bid should reflect that you have read the entire description well and you understand the problem. 

I am a developer, I always shared possible solutions in the bid. For example, if a client wanted xyz app developed, I would do an entire comparision on the technologies that app can be developed on and then in the end I would recommed one approach to use in the bid. The thing we can extract from this, whichever your field is, show that you know what you are talking about and share it.

I see that you are also interested in graphics designing. I would recommend keep adding more great things to your portfolio till you land a job. Look at the job titles and descriptions of top rated freelancers of your field and get inspiration from them. I see that some changes need to be made in your description as well. 

Hope that helps. Best of luck!

m_fuller101
Community Member

Hi,

My name is Monique and I would really appreciate someone reviewing my profile and sharing your feedback on what I can improve. 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0174c09a4a49c0da39

Thanks for your support!

Hi Monique,

Your profile looks good, especially, the video that you made. Great job!

A few minor suggestions are that if you put spacing in your description, dividing the entire thing into paragraphs, that will look better.

You did write that you are a Customer Service Rockstar in the description, why not use the same in the title? 

Best of luck! 

Thank you for the feedback. Ill make those tweeks and i appreciate it Smiley Happy

haseebmaqbool
Community Member

I am also new please visit my profile and suggest me for better results!!!!

Hi Haseeb,

First of all, I have noticed many grammatical and capitalization mistakes in your description. I would suggest you to fix that first and other than that, focus on a specific domain first. Choose the area where you are best at. Align your profile towards that area alone. The next thing you should do is try to be the first bidder on a project that matches your skills and always be honest. These are the things that helped me.

I wish you the best of luck.

arlabs904
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I am a new freelancer here on Upwork, After my last project was done 1 moth ago, I submitted many proposals but did not get any response from the clients, which de motivied.

nobody has sent a message even after several proposals

Can anyone look into my profile and suggest if there is any issue?

I don't know if there is any way to improve my rating and feedback as I am a new freelancer.

Please suggest me if there is some way to get rating, feedback and response from client regarding my proposals.

Thanks

Hi AR L,

I do not think there are any issues with your profile. Some minor changes can be to write your full name and maybe add a more professional display photo. 

I would suggest you to try to be the first bidder on a project that matches your skills. Keep refreshing the page to check for new projects and try to be the first one to bid. 

I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you for review my profile and update me. I will update my profile accordingly asap

tonyilorah
Community Member

Please am new and will appreciate if my profile is checked 

c-hachem
Community Member

I would appreciate it if you could take a look at my profile and give me a feedback about it.

Charbel, your profile is not visible. Please provide a link. 

Thank you for your answer. 

Here is a link to my profile

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks Charbel. Your profile reads well. Consider developing a specialized profile for Data Scientist. Additional details about the services you provide will help a potential client make favorable decision. You do have a well-crafted portfolio. Consider adding more materials/items to it, in particular, directly related to the projects you are seeking. Is it possible to get some testimonials from old clients? Or are there any certifications related to data science?

Good luck. With a bit of diligence and persistence, you will soon become rising talent.  

Thank you for your answer. I will update my profile accordingly asap

neil_a
Community Member

My score is way down having been away awhile and not doing continuous work. I have completed one job and am in the middle of another one, yet these aren't enough to pull it up. So now I struggle to gain traction because my feedback is down from once was 100%. Ideas on how to get more attention from clients willing to give me a chance to grow again? I had to step away to care for my dad that was on hospice. Burt clients see that score of mine and don't give it a second look. What feedback I do have from the past is usually very good. But they don't figre that iin to my feed back reputation NOW. Anu suggestions wouyld be greatly appreciated.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Maybe you could try what was suggested two weeks ago when you posted this?

neil_a
Community Member

w any reply to my last one...maybe I am missing something. But that is why I reposted? Sorry if I offended you.

f82b88fd
Community Member

Can you check my profile

Dewapriya, your profile will require several changes. For instance, job title needs to match with the projects your are looking for. The overview section needs to describe your current skillset, instead of future aspirations. I'd suggest to go through this article step by step and make changes. 

https://www.upwork.com/resources/9-tips-create-freelancer-profile-stands-out

The link above is missing some hyperlinks. Hence, if the link above is unclear then use this article: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063208-Sample-Profiles-and-Best-Practices It explains in detail how to create a profile that truly represents your skills.

Please feel free to come back to this thread after you've made changes. I am happy to review your profile again. You are an early stage professional, who deserves support and I wish you every success. 

9240ce29
Community Member

Hi i work as a video editor and i just started my work on upwork Can anybody check my profile? if its good or bad or any tips?

Kashif R wrote:

Hi i work as a video editor and i just started my work on upwork Can anybody check my profile? if its good or bad or any tips?

You need to have examples of prior work in your portfolio, clients will want to see what you can do. 

chuksman94
Community Member

Hello, please how can I know if my profile has been approved? I have not received any email yet.
reignmore
Community Member

Hi Mike,

Can you please review my profile?

Reignmore, your profile is not visible.

Hi Aditi, Upwork said my profile is going to be public again in 1-2 days. Thanks for the assistance though.

adnanqadar
Community Member

Shall be thankful if Reviewed and suggested positively
adnanqadar
Community Member

Shall e highly thankfull if reviewed and suggested positively

ngomba-thomas
Community Member

Hello guys, I have been working extrahard to establish myself on upwork. I'm new here with 40% profile rating lacking the 60% for work history. I have submitted many proposals but not clients reaches for me. Help me kindly. How to I start getting projects?

Ngomba T wrote:

Hello guys, I have been working extrahard to establish myself on upwork. I'm new here with 40% profile rating lacking the 60% for work history. I have submitted many proposals but not clients reaches for me. Help me kindly. How to I start getting projects?

The first thing you should do is write your own presentation, not copy one.
It is copied word for word from a sample cover letter.

Once you write your presentation, and if you have real experience, indicate where you have worked (real) and if possible, add something to your portfolio.
And then you can go back and ask someone to review your profile.

Please, someone review my profile and tell me why I'm not getting any job

reignmore
Community Member

Hi, my profile is finally back online. Can you please review my profile?

lucianabass
Community Member

Hello! 

I'd love to get feedback on my profile.

Many thanks. 

28a9b14e
Community Member

Hi Mike,

What an amazing thing to offer. I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at my profile and provide feedback on what is good and what isn't.

I have only been a member of Upwork for a couple of weeks, have been submitting proposals, but was wondering how I can achieve the Rising Talent badge?

Much appreciated

Tamara

No review of my profile??? What a shame.

waguramic
Community Member

hi kindly review my profile and advice

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths