🐈 Community
» Forums » New to Upwork » Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelan...
Page options
michaelajornlin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Hi New Upwork Freelancers!

 

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The Community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

 

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!


Thanks,
Mike J.
Content Program Manager, Community
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
andregutierrez22
Moderator
Moderator

Hi all,

 

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

 

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,582 REPLIES 3,582

Hi Muhammad,

I'm glad to see you have a complete profile, but there are a few items you could improve:
1. Be clear on the skills and expertise in your overview and mention specialized tools/software.
2. Your skill tags are one of the most important factors for showing up in relevant search results, and you only have 1 skill tag. Consider adding more (you can add up to 10) skill tags, and if you're struggling with picking the tags, I'd suggest opting for the ones Clients use most often.

3. I'm glad to see you've added a portfolio item, but to help you look your best, consider showcasing at least 3 examples of your best work and make sure all of your skills are represented. Learn more about building a great portfolio here. 

Good luck!

Thank you so much sir for your feedback. I tried to add more skills today.I will do rest things too and get back to you for furtur feedback.

greetings! Can you pls check out my profile and tell me how to improve it? Here is my profile link https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~011b26781cc88cf972
Thabk you!

Yes, can someone watch mine? I also love feedback

I am new to hear in Upwork. Please review my profile, and tell me my profile is good or not good. I am confused about my profile. Please solve the problem now. I am waiting for your reply. Thank you.


Alexis R wrote:
I would love feedback.

Thank you.

Put your skills first and your introduction below that. I know it's a sort of instinctual impulse to introduce yourself first, but a client that is interested enough to click on your profile already knows your name, has seen your pic (very good!) and now mostly wants to know if you are the right person for the job.

I know it's hard to find portfolio pieces for your line of work, but they are really important to catch attention and make the client look at your profile more thoroughly. 

Hello. Can you take a look at my profile, I really need feedback, thank you

gvanzevern
Member

I would love some feedback, please.  

alexis-arinze
Member

Hi, I'm new to UpWork. I would love any advice I can get on how to better my profile.


Alexis A wrote:

Hi, I'm new to UpWork. I would love any advice I can get on how to better my profile.


You profile looks good, and you can count yourself among the successful freelancers with the results you have achieved so far! I always enjoy reading your posts, too, always mildly sarcastic and on point, which I have to admit, I like. 

What you could do is create some nice related pics to put on your portfolio pieces - such as a screenshot of the publication, etc. Nice colorful shiny things always grab attention. 

Maybe try to do a larger variety of jobs so that you don't get stuck in very specific niches, if you get what I mean.  


Martina P wrote:

Alexis A wrote:

Hi, I'm new to UpWork. I would love any advice I can get on how to better my profile.


You profile looks good, and you can count yourself among the successful freelancers with the results you have achieved so far! I always enjoy reading your posts, too, always mildly sarcastic and on point, which I have to admit, I like. 

What you could do is create some nice related pics to put on your portfolio pieces - such as a screenshot of the publication, etc. Nice colorful shiny things always grab attention. 

Maybe try to do a larger variety of jobs so that you don't get stuck in very specific niches, if you get what I mean.  


Thank you, love! I'll definitely try to add some color to my portfolio. I'll also try to apply to other types of jobs. I'd hate to get stuck in the romance writing genre forever.

Hi there,

I've got my first job after sending almost 70 proposals. It was a decent one. And I successfully completed it, and get 5 stars for that. But soon after that, after spending one month and more than 170 connects, I am unable to get another job. 

So first, please have a look at my profile:
All work: 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Primary work: 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**


and tell me about your thought and suggestion for it. 

Secondly... there are many jobs that get expire or closed, so my connects are almost wasted on these. 
Another concerning thing which I want to bring to your notice. That a lot of "3d architectural visualization (my primary work)", with so less budget that.. It's kind of shameful.  How can someone expect us to do a photo-realistic 3d render of a living+kitchen for just 15$??  or say... 75$. 

There are people who say... if you want to get dirt cheap rates... go to any freelancer from India.  Sorry to say..  but that is not the case for everyone here in India. We also have to pay our bills... for the hardware, for the software and other expenses. I also have kids and bills to pay. And the living here is not that cheap
Additionally, we've to pay 18% GST, + income taxes to the government. 
So how can someone expect us to do 25-40 hours of work for something like 100$??? But they do. 
And for the services and experiences, I value my education, skills, hard work, and services. 
I worked with many overseas clients and I always had a wonderful professional relationship for years.
So maybe there are a lot of non-professional guys out there, but for a committed and professional guy, the scene is different.

In many jobs, they also demand the final 3d files, with models, textures, and all.  Tell me, how can we send the whole final files, with the models and textures which I purchased over the internet. 
I've no problem if they pay for the models and textures separately.  

I also want to mention that, for each job post, I create the custom proposal for the. Referring to their main problem, and how can I  help them with these. 

So please help me to correct my profile, get me some jobs,  and the other concerning issues. 

Thanks and Regards
Prashant Sahai



Hi Prashant,

 

Thank you for reaching out to us.  Every beginning is difficult, but don't lose hope. Here are some videos and articles!

 

 

You can visit our events and webinar page to register for upcoming events or watch recordings of past events. You can also find more helpful articles on this page.

 

I would also like to clarify that we return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here.

 

At Upwork, the terms of any contract, including the rate, are for clients and freelancers to decide upon together. Any freelancer who is not satisfied with the rate offered can negotiate a higher rate or find a project they consider to be more suitable. You can find more information about how to set your freelance rate in this help article

 

I also moved your post to this thread so that you can receive tips from experienced freelancers.

 

~ Nikola
Upwork


Prashant S wrote:

Hi there,

I've got my first job after sending almost 70 proposals. It was a decent one. And I successfully completed it, and get 5 stars for that. But soon after that, after spending one month and more than 170 connects, I am unable to get another job. 

So first, please have a look at my profile:
All work: 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Primary work: 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**


and tell me about your thought and suggestion for it. 

Secondly... there are many jobs that get expire or closed, so my connects are almost wasted on these. 
Another concerning thing which I want to bring to your notice. That a lot of "3d architectural visualization (my primary work)", with so less budget that.. It's kind of shameful.  How can someone expect us to do a photo-realistic 3d render of a living+kitchen for just 15$??  or say... 75$. 

There are people who say... if you want to get dirt cheap rates... go to any freelancer from India.  Sorry to say..  but that is not the case for everyone here in India. We also have to pay our bills... for the hardware, for the software and other expenses. I also have kids and bills to pay. And the living here is not that cheap
Additionally, we've to pay 18% GST, + income taxes to the government. 
So how can someone expect us to do 25-40 hours of work for something like 100$??? But they do. 
And for the services and experiences, I value my education, skills, hard work, and services. 
I worked with many overseas clients and I always had a wonderful professional relationship for years.
So maybe there are a lot of non-professional guys out there, but for a committed and professional guy, the scene is different.

In many jobs, they also demand the final 3d files, with models, textures, and all.  Tell me, how can we send the whole final files, with the models and textures which I purchased over the internet. 
I've no problem if they pay for the models and textures separately.  

I also want to mention that, for each job post, I create the custom proposal for the. Referring to their main problem, and how can I  help them with these. 

So please help me to correct my profile, get me some jobs,  and the other concerning issues. 

Thanks and Regards
Prashant Sahai




Hi Prashant, 

 

Congrats on getting through your first job. That's great. Your work history on your profile and your portfolio look great. 

 

I do think your profile text is a little lackluster. The first line is almost a repeat of your header, so I would delete that. I think you need to keep working on it so that it doesn't just read like a list of programs you use and focuses more on those "beautiful results" you promise. Can you write about your process working with the client at all? As an architect, what's your personal style? I imagine clients looking for an architect are looking for something specific, like style and process, so you will want to speak to these in your profile text. 

 

Also, try and get some testimonials from previous employers or colleagues or clients on your profile as well. Use the official "Request Testimonial" function so they show up as verified testimonies. 

 

Regarding the job posts: don't apply to a job that's below your rate. Yes, there are a lot of low-budget clients out there. You do not have any obligation to apply to their jobs though. If you want to shoot for higher pay, then you should only apply to those jobs that pay what you are charging. However, as a newbie to Upwork, you may consider slightly lowering your rate so you can get a few jobs under your belt, then increase once you've shown success and have more of an Upwork history. Mind you, I said slightly lower your rate. Like 20%, not more than that. 

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your nice reply and advice. I'd surely change the profile text as you suggested. 
Thanks for reaching out and for your valuable suggestions. 

Regards
-Prashant

Can someone please tell me why I am not able to land any job even after applying 95 proposal,. Please review my profile.
ada5ed6f
Member

Hi, please I'm new here..
I'll need a review on my profile


Nnam C wrote:
Hi, please I'm new here..
I'll need a review on my profile

You started your profile with a German word? 

I looked through your portfolio and profile and feel your texts sound a little old-fashioned with their usage of uncommon words. 

Maybe polish it a little more to make it more attractive to English native speakers, who might feel they need a more modern sounding text, if you are trying to attract those, that is. 

Writing is painfully overpopulated and you compete with native English writers who's skills just jump off the page, who's writing is seemingly effortless and a pure pleasure to read. This is what you must strive for. 

Please review my profile, I had applied to 85proposals but didn't managed to get a single job.
ada5ed6f
Member

Hi,
I'm new. Can I get some Help?

Hello!  

 

This is great!  May I ask your help and input on my profile?  I haven't been able to land any jobs after one month of sending out proposals.  Thanks.

bijayarb
Member

Hy madam,

I am wandering to win the project for two weeks but could not get even a single one. Could you please assist me

nauphragus
Member

Hi all,

 

I would love to get feedback from you guys!

Brand new freelancer, don't have much to show in terms of a portfolio. I do have a file that I attach to relevant jobs, but I am not getting any replies.

Also, what is the "normal" ratio? After 5 proposals, should I expect that at least one client replies, or does it take more usually?

Thanks a lot!

jamesdavis76
Member

Mike: I have a question for you.

My proposals are not working. I can send out ten proposals at a time with no response at all.I have sent over 30 with no response I am doing something wrong. It must be something major, someting out of step with Upwork.. Can I send you a few of my proposals?.

Jim

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 

05eacf76
Member

Hi - Thanks so much for this thread. Just created my profile today and would love any feedback you can provide. No idea what best practices are for an Upwork profile vs LinkedIn, etc. 

 

-Lucinda 

alexis-arinze
Member


Mike J wrote:

Hi New Upwork Freelancers!

 

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The Community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

 

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!


This thread is a really good idea but barely any experienced freelancers are getting back to our inquiries..

I have gotten no response on this thread.  I have even directly messaged Mike, with no response.  

Hi Grant,

 

I'm not specializing in your Category (3D modelling, etc), but based on my experience I would suggest updating your photo (it seems for the moment there are too many dark shadows). Also as others wrote, since Upwork search displays only a few top rows from the Overview, you might want to put the most important skills and experience to the top of the Overview. I also believe you can improve your Title, but because of the above I can't advise here. Continuous improvement of all three above things should make a noticable difference with time.

Hi Max, 

Advice noted on the photo, I am in process of updating that.  As regards to the rest, I am still confused because when I search for my category (google search etc) I show up at the top of the page.  I show up top rated, 100% success rate.  And yet after submitting some 30 or so proposals, I don't even get a profile view??  

Hi Grant,

 

I've started to get much more replies after I've just changed a profile pic. Might be relevant to your case.

Btw, my profile views counters is broken from around 27th of July. Not sure if this issue affects everyone.

To get more replies I would suggest to improve your proposal texts, check client's stats before you apply. Hope it will help, thanks!

saniyajunaid
Member

hye how do i get to know that my proposals can't accepted or client closes the job?

 

Hi Sania,

 

These proposals will be moved to the "Archived" section of your proposal manager.

 

I hope this helps!


Thanks,
Mike J.
Content Program Manager, Community
leannabudrie
Member

Hi, newbie here!

 

I've joined Upwork very recently.The struggle that I am having with my profile is making it specilialized enough to show that I have expertise in a certain area, but also broad enough so that I can be considered for various types of jobs. 

 

Looking forward to your feedback! Thanks!

sonika970
Member

Hi, I am Sonika and I am new at Upwork. Can you help me to make my profile attractive and get jobs?. Thanks. 

saifullahali
Member

HI Mike ,

Hope you are fine and safe.

I am Saifullah Ali from Pakistan, i am a graphic designer but my area or speciality is Cartoons and caricatures, i created my Upwork account 2 years ago, at that time i was not much interested in freelancing and did some random jobs and Upwork and also log in to and fro,

but now i want to start a proper freelancing with my skills,as i see there are many changes done here on Upwork like connects to be purchased and also my JSS has been declined to 56% ,which i didn't understand on what basis

can you please have a look at my profile and help me to share the tips so i can get back to track and start my career here as a cartoonist

Thank you

Saif

d2b2a853
Member

hii

plz check my profile & give advice ..i just sign up  & still feel confusing

Hello Hend, This is a great start. You have several skills. Consider creating specialized profile for each skill. Check for grammatical errors and typos. Do you have any portfolio items for Advertising voice over or other skills? Clients like to see a portfolio/sample work before they hire. 

Good luck, it will be a great freelancing experience.  

966103f6
Member

Hey Mike j,

I'm in need of someone to have a look at my profile and guide me to start my freelancing journey.

 

Thanks


Dinesh B wrote:

Hey Mike j,

I'm in need of someone to have a look at my profile and guide me to start my freelancing journey.

 

Thanks


Bland and nondescript. What do you do, why are you the best person for the job? A client needs to get these questions answered by reading your profile. What do you consult on? I want to see examples of your work in the portfolio. 

No need to mention that you are a freelancer in your title, that's pretty much understood.