🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelan...
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Hi New Upwork Freelancers!

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The Community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,582 REPLIES 3,582

• Thanks for your precious recommendations..... Your guidance is highly appreciated. I'll forthwith make changes as per your guidance.

Syed Yawar A wrote:
  • Thanks for your precious recommendations..... Your guidance is highly appreciated. I'll forthwith make changes as per your guidance.

Take out all the emojis, they don't give your profile a professional look. Your first line is that you are on upwork from day 1. That is completely irrelevant to a client, plus they would only ask themselves why you haven't won any jobs on upwork when you have been there for years. This is really detrimental to your effort of finding jobs. 

Thanks Martina P. Noted and corrected accordingly.

I want to make one more request in front of you to please tell me as per my profile what sort of cover letter i should write to increase my acceptance ratio, too much worried about it.... 

Waiting for your valuable suggestions...

Syed Yawar A wrote:

Thanks Martina P. Noted and corrected accordingly.

I want to make one more request in front of you to please tell me as per my profile what sort of cover letter i should write to increase my acceptance ratio, too much worried about it.... 

Waiting for your valuable suggestions...

I'm not doing your homework for you. 

You could use a better picture. Looking away is not inviting. 

3d55371e
Community Member

Hi, 

I have just registered new and would really appreciate any advice/help to get started. I have submitted a few proposals but have not received any offers yet.

Not sure if l am doing something wrong.

Thank you

Zuhal P wrote:

Hi, 

I have just registered new and would really appreciate any advice/help to get started. I have submitted a few proposals but have not received any offers yet.

Not sure if l am doing something wrong.

Thank you

It's not easy getting started, there are millions of freelancers competing for a much smaller number of jobs. You should not start worrying before you sent maybe 100 proposals. 

But there is a lot you can do to improve your profile. It is too short, and does not address the reader, which is your potential client. There is a lot of good information in the help section how to get started. 

Dear Martina, 

I would greatly appreciate it if you could review my profile and provide some feedback. I am still only 8 proposals into my Upwork career but any further tips you can provide as a community guru to help obtain an interview would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your time,

Joe

Joseph M wrote:

Dear Martina, 

I would greatly appreciate it if you could review my profile and provide some feedback. I am still only 8 proposals into my Upwork career but any further tips you can provide as a community guru to help obtain an interview would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your time,

Joe

Take out data entry, it's not what you think it is. Data analysis is fine. 

You need to make your profile not about you, but about your client. Or in other words, it should be about your client, but really be about you. Tricky? Yes!

Let's see what you can come up with!

Zuhal,

You might be seeking a position, but that's not the territory of a freelancer. A freelancer is trying to sell something ,  namely services. A job seeker is someone seeking a position in a company.

You might prefer a long-term assignment or an assignment with lots of hours per week, and that's fine (and you can say that), but a freelancer works for herself. It's you, running a business.

That said, the profile requires a bit of chutzpah. You want to project your expertise, your confidence, your friendliness, your understanding of your customers' goals. "I can help you win new customers, " or "I can help you manage your payroll, so you can concentrate on other tasks ..." or whatever it is you do.

Say something about what you actually do. "Managing payroll" is very generic.  Use a little jargon. This is the perfect time for jargon. It says you're familiar with your craft.

Look at the profiles of some of the other competing freelancers in your niche. Don't be afraid to borrow some of their style or contract a little of their chutzpah. Put a bit of energy into it. There's so, so much competition out there, you can get bypassed for just the most mundane things.

yousuf-jamal
Community Member

Yes Please, 

I'll be very thankful to you. 

I have extensive experience of 17 years and was working in the local market. A few months ago joined Upwork, complete 4 jobs with thoroughly positive feedback, but didn't get a big achievement. Not sure if l am doing something wrong. 

Yousef,

I like your style. Personally, I avoid emoticons -- I may have used one or two in my life -- but your write up made me smile. It's as friendly as it comes.

But it's a balancing act. Maybe it would sound more professional if you put a few more professional statements in there. Describe what you do and do that seriously, so clients know you're not a joke ... and I don't think that would hurt your very fun profile. It would balance it out better.

That said, raise your rates. If you project a goofy write up and have a low rate, people may think you're just being silly. Something in your profile has to project more professionalism. 

Thanks a lot for your time. 

I'll review as you suggested. 

29c908ba
Community Member

Hello Everyone,

I am a banker in the field of operations management having 13 years experience of working in the world's leading banks. I just decided to be my own boss and dived into the ocean of freelancing. I have created my profile at Upwork as a Data entry operator a couple of months ago. During my banking experience, I have gained a good grip on Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Data compiling, MIS compiling, and copy-paste work. I am also very good at web research and data mining.

Now, I am attempting to send proposals on Upwork to different clients but I am not getting success in winning any proposal. I am just curious about where I am doing mistakes. You are requested to please review my profile and help me out by providing your good suggestions and tips.

Thanking You,

Asif **Edited for Community Guidelines**

85bc3236
Community Member

Sure I would love it.

Edisona,

Maybe this is just me, but I don't know what you are selling.

You say you are a graduate of Biotech ... but what are you selling?

You say you learned to find and appreciate beauty in the world ... but what are you selling?

You say you have an interest in spending time on social media ... but what are you selling?

You say you want to develop this professionally ... but what are you selling?

You are selling a service, right? Tell me right away what that is, why you are good at it, what the client will gain from hiring you ... and try to do that with a positive, friendly attitude. Piece of cake.

7a1027e1
Community Member

Hey Can I get a quick review of my profile please

10d8a7cd
Community Member

i need feedback on my profile. the link is 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~018b6fcb4ba88747b4

Syed, your profile is a great start. For 'all work' page, consider using fewer emojis. They are distracting from the services you offer. For administrative assistance, consider focusing on services you offer instead of personal attributes and age. For marketing video editing services, adding a portfolio will be helpful. Good luck. 

Hi Aditi, kindly review my profile and share your thoughts on it.

Thanks

9ba68a0e
Community Member

Hey,

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with my profile and see whether the copy is customer-centric or not and if there are any other tweaks I can make.

Thank You

Wasil M wrote:

Hey,

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with my profile and see whether the copy is customer-centric or not and if there are any other tweaks I can make.

Thank You

It's good! Maybe use a different word than priceless, such as valuable, but that's a small thing. But more importantly, you need a portfolio.

c0b22e45
Community Member

I want to know if there is a problem with my account, i keep writing and submitting proposals but unlike before when i was new to upwork, i am not getting any message from clients despite submitting excellent proposals. I think there's something wrong with my account and i need someone here to please check it out for as this is my only stable means of income for now.

My job success score is perfect and despite that i still don't get any message from anybody here on Upwork. Please someone help me out. I'm stranded, confused and don't know what else to do.

I've written over 80 proposals in total 

Emmanuel,

Everyone goes through droughts -- even Joe DiMaggio had droughts. But 80 proposals is a very long drought.

Your write up has a friendly, competent tone to it. It could be a little sharper. Like, for example, the word "things" is inappropriate. It's vague and lazy writing. Stay away from "etc.," too, while we're at it. It's just another gimmick that shows either boredom or laziness.

"Need someone with the appropriate writing skills to birth that brilliant idea to life,"

That looks like a question to me. Where's the question mark? Also "birth" isn't the right word, because it's so commonly said "bring that brilliant idea to life," that "birth" just seems odd. 

So, it could be sharper, but you have a string of 5 star reviews, so I don't think your write up is the problem entirely.

Maybe you could run your proposals by someone and see what's going on there.  I was in a drought once and called Upwork's support team and I got a nice letter back saying that I was going after jobs that were specifically difficult to get. Maybe it's something like that.

pramodshandilya
Community Member

Hello,

New to Upwork! Would love any feedback on my profile. 

Pramod,

I'm not technical enough to comment, but your write up looks fair enough to me. 

It does read like a resume in spots, but the points of a narrative are to project confidence and friendliness and you do that more than adequately , as far as I can see.

db345d45
Community Member

Hi there,

Please have a look at my profile, any comments positive or negative will be most welcome.  Please feel free to be as direct and honest, I welcome open and transparent comms. I cannot "fix something" if I am not aware of the issue.

Thanks in advance for your time, greatly appreciated.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0101823f414a8588b6

Denise D wrote:

Hi there,

Please have a look at my profile, any comments positive or negative will be most welcome.  Please feel free to be as direct and honest, I welcome open and transparent comms. I cannot "fix something" if I am not aware of the issue.

Thanks in advance for your time, greatly appreciated.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0101823f414a8588b6

Excellent! Exactly as it should be. You could teach profile writing. 

Do you have anything that you could put into your portfolio? That would be a nice touch, since a profile is an attention-grabber, which is something you should not pass on. Some nice colorful pictures on it, and a potential client will linger longer on your profile, which is what you want to achieve. Plus getting hired 😉

Thank you very much for your input, appreciated

Denise,

Yeah, I wanted to see what excellent looked like.

Pretty darn.

Anthony H wrote:

Denise,

Yeah, I wanted to see what excellent looked like.

Pretty darn.

No, you didn't. You wanted to see what I find excellent. Admit it. 

I don't hide my feelings for you Martina -- and you just torture me for it.

Anthony H wrote:

I don't hide my feelings for you Martina -- and you just torture me for it.

LOL your honesty is appreciated. Do you mention honesty in your profile? You definitely should 😉

ras-ruman
Community Member

Hey,

I am new in upwork. I did my first work in upwork, after that I could not get any response from my client. Whats the problem in my profile? Is there anyone help me to get more client, I also write custom proposal as per the client requirements but I could not manage any job in last three months. 

Raseduzzaman R wrote:

Hey,

I am new in upwork. I did my first work in upwork, after that I could not get any response from my client. Whats the problem in my profile? Is there anyone help me to get more client, I also write custom proposal as per the client requirements but I could not manage any job in last three months. 

The feedback is not helping. 

Hello Martina, 

Can you evaluate my profile? What's wrong in my profile?

Raseduzzaman R wrote:

Hello Martina, 

Can you evaluate my profile? What's wrong in my profile?

The feedback is the problem. Your first contract is your most important one, and you should make sure that you execute to perfection. 

ftmsdq
Community Member

Great I would like it. Furthermore, I want to know whether it is necessary to accept the first invitation of the Upwork client or not?

Mrs .Ammar K wrote:

Great I would like it. Furthermore, I want to know whether it is necessary to accept the first invitation of the Upwork client or not?

Your picture has to show yourself. Your name has to be your natural name.

You need to fix that asap before you do anything else. 

i_zafeiri
Community Member

I would love this, thank you!!! 😁

Ioulia Z wrote:

I would love this, thank you!!! 😁

Why do you have 3 profiles when the text is identical in all of them? 

I'm not a client, but that would strike me as lazy. If I opened one profile, then the next, then the third, and they were all the same, I'd be slightly annoyed and move to the next freelancer. Aside from that, specialize. Don't offer widely disparate skills. Your rate is too low for whatever you offer. And you need a better picture. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths