🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get hired
Page options
shahzadhkb
Community Member

Get hired

Hello, I have spent more money buying new connects, but unfortunately I am not hired yet. Please help me to find work here. I am frustrated so far.
5 REPLIES 5
robin_hyman
Community Member

You're a digital marketer, data entry guy, virtual assistant, man-of-all trades?  Doesn't even sound like your profile was written by you.  Starting on Upwork is hard.  It's even harder if you aren't 100% truthful about your experience.  

Try focusing on what you're good at.  You can create specialized profiles for other skills but stick to your core competencies.  

It could take months before you land your first job.  

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Your profile is too long. I would advise taking out anything that doesn't make you sound special and better than the thousands of other people who are looking for jobs in the same categories as you. 

Start with taking this part, "Using my digital marketing skills... identifying the problems in your business and needs of your customers" and move that to the top. Put your bulleted list of skills after that (but take out your typing speed, since it's not impressive). Get rid of the quote and delete the part where you talk about your high speed Internet and printer (that's what clients would expect of anyone who works from home). Take out the part about your ambitions; you're supposed to talk about what you can do for people, not about what you want. Take out the scary, distorted portfolio photo of yourself as well.

So then I get to the part about your education. If you've really got an MBA and an undergrad law degree, then you should apply to projects where you can leverage those skills. That would definitely set you apart from other freelancers. I think that you're wasting your time if you're applying to data entry jobs at all; there are loads of experienced freelancers who will do that for $3/hour. Try to find your niche.

shahzadhkb
Community Member

Hello Dear, As I am new to upwork. and passionate to perform here. I want to get my profile reviewed, so I can throw out deficiencies. I believe, I would get solutions for my problems here. thanks

And starting the sentence with Hello Dear is really, really horrible.

Of course, it could be worse - 'Hello Dears', for example.

Filip K wrote:

And starting the sentence with Hello Dear is really, really horrible.

Of course, it could be worse - 'Hello Dears', for example.

Filip is right - it's never appropriate to say "Hello Dear" to a stranger. Please don't do this in your bids. Just "hello" is fine.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths