🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get the first job + review, in order to g...
Page options
bradib0y
Community Member

Get the first job + review, in order to gain traction

Greetings!

I've been trying to get my first job on Upwork for a while now, and I've been struggling with it. 90% of clients require previous Upwork experience, don't respond to proposals... and so on, you probably already now what's going on.

I know it's illegal to ask/pay someone to hire me in order to get the first job, I've been researching it in the community.

My question is, is there anything I can do 100% legally and in an accepted + encouraged way, to get my first client? For example, advertise myself in a Facebook group with a low rate, so that it would be very compelling, but asking them to register on Upwork and pay me in such way. Is this scenario acceptable & encouraged by Upwork? If not, is there anything similar I can do?

Also, I'm wondering if I'm allowed legally in general to advertise my Upwork profile outside of Upwork. For example, create a portfolio page and run ads on it, but the contact is linking to the Upwork profile, so that anyone who wants to work with me needs to register & pay through Upwork. Am I allowed to do that?

Thank you, regards:

Balázs

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Before doing anything else, I would suggest most strongly that you give your profile a complete overaul, because the way it is it doesn't sell you at all. A couple of sentences, no portfolio, no samples, no education, no work history...  but a high (for what your profile sells) hourly rate.

Complete (!!) your profile to 100% - THEN try again.

Balazs P wrote:

Also, I'm wondering if I'm allowed legally in general to advertise my Upwork profile outside of Upwork. For example, create a portfolio page and run ads on it, but the contact is linking to the Upwork profile, so that anyone who wants to work with me needs to register & pay through Upwork. Am I allowed to do that?

Yes, but again, with your profile so bare - it won't make much difference.

bradib0y
Community Member

Thank you. It's interesting you say that because Upwork barely accepted my profile in the first place. I've tried many different ways to apply - more verbose profile and less, and so on. Eventually they have accepted this version, which is a very short one.

The clients I'm sending offers however are not restricted to get to know me from that profile, I always send CV and cover letter. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Balazs,

You may want to check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork:

8+ Tips to Help You Create a Profile That Stands Out

Upwork Profiles: Why a Great Title and Overview Can Make a Difference

A How-To Guide for Your Perfect Profile Picture

Get Your Profile to the Next Level with an Intro Video

4 Ways to Create a More Successful Portfolio Regardless of Your Skill Set

Side note: You may improve your skills by doing self-study, or enrolling yourself to websites that provide skills training. Let me know if you need anything else.

~ Riri

Thank you for your response!

I've started with learning about Upwork profiles and proposals before even joining.

Upwork did not accept my profile which followed the guidelines. It accepted the simplified profile only, as I've said in my other comment.

Also, in my experience, it does not matter how high the quality of proposals are. There were times where I spent hours to tweak my proposal, according to the specifications of the job. The client haven't even bother responding.

I have 10x more skills than I could ever make use of on Upwork. My problem is being accepted by a client, because they probably expect freelancers who have results & reviews on Upwork, as I've said in my comments before.

So I'm still looking for good advice on how to get the first jobs on Upwork without having one already, which is legitimate, non-fraudulent, and encouraged by Upwork. Obviously, asking my friends to pay me through Upwork and get me a 5 star rating would be a non-legitimate solution to this problem. I'm seeking legit & encouraged alternatives to that.

Balazs P wrote:

Thank you for your response!

I've started with learning about Upwork profiles and proposals before even joining.

Upwork did not accept my profile which followed the guidelines. It accepted the simplified profile only, as I've said in my other comment.

Also, in my experience, it does not matter how high the quality of proposals are. There were times where I spent hours to tweak my proposal, according to the specifications of the job. The client haven't even bother responding.

I have 10x more skills than I could ever make use of on Upwork. My problem is being accepted by a client, because they probably expect freelancers who have results & reviews on Upwork, as I've said in my comments before.

So I'm still looking for good advice on how to get the first jobs on Upwork without having one already, which is legitimate, non-fraudulent, and encouraged by Upwork. Obviously, asking my friends to pay me through Upwork and get me a 5 star rating would be a non-legitimate solution to this problem. I'm seeking legit & encouraged alternatives to that.

Not sure what you are looking for, the only way to find jobs that is known to me is sending proposals and getting hired. (being invited to legit interviews is rare for the newbie.) Again, your profile needs a lot of work and you should do that first in any case. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

It's a neat skill that you offer, but without a portfolio to back up that you are competent to do it, you will have a hard time to find jobs. You have prior experience in the field, right?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths