🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting Paid for Sample Edit
Page options
colleenezzell
Community Member

Getting Paid for Sample Edit

I'm not really new to Upwork, but this is the first time I've encountered a problem being paid.

I submitted a proposal to edit a book and was advised by a message on the Upwork messagng platform that I was one of the five finalists for the position, The original job posting noted that finalists would be given a sample to edit, for which they would be paid $10. I received the sample as a message attachment.

I submitted the edited document, but I stupidly did not verify that the client had created a contract for the sample edit. So, after I had already submitted the edited document, I messaged the client asking if she had prepared a conrract, because I was unable to locate one.

She said she had prepared a contract and in a later message asked me to send my edited document.

I said I thought I had sent my working  copy (and indeed I had), but I sent it again, as an attachment to my message. (FWIW, this is the way I've always sent completed work to clients.) I haven't heard from the client since last Friday.  Can you help me get paid or am I out of luck because I sent my completed work before verifying that the samole edit was fuhded?

5 REPLIES 5
kat303
Community Member

You didn't have an active contract therefore you had NO job.

In addition to that, not that it matters since  you had no job, but escrow wasn't fully funded. 

So, because of that, (above) you are out of luck, 

As for sending completed work as an attachment to messages, if it's an hourly job, then you are correct in doing it that way, But if it's a fixed rate job, you should also submit the work by clicking on the Submit Work/Request Button. that way, if the client disappears after receiving work, (and some do) the funds in escrow will automatically be released to you in 14 days, Otherwise, you'll wait forever to get your funds. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Colleen E wrote:

I'm not really new to Upwork, but this is the first time I've encountered a problem being paid.

I submitted a proposal to edit a book and was advised by a message on the Upwork messagng platform that I was one of the five finalists for the position, The original job posting noted that finalists would be given a sample to edit, for which they would be paid $10. I received the sample as a message attachment.

I submitted the edited document, but I stupidly did not verify that the client had created a contract for the sample edit. So, after I had already submitted the edited document, I messaged the client asking if she had prepared a conrract, because I was unable to locate one.

She said she had prepared a contract and in a later message asked me to send my edited document.

I said I thought I had sent my working  copy (and indeed I had), but I sent it again, as an attachment to my message. (FWIW, this is the way I've always sent completed work to clients.) I haven't heard from the client since last Friday.  Can you help me get paid or am I out of luck because I sent my completed work before verifying that the samole edit was fuhded?

The probably did the same thing to the other 4 "finalists" which were probably more like 10 or 20, and hey presto! editing done. Can you still access the job posting and flag it for fraud/asking for free work?

prestonhunter
Community Member

The good news is that you got a portfolio piece out of this. You were not paid for this work so it belongs to you. Feel free to post before and after versions together as an example of your work.

Preston H wrote:

The good news is that you got a portfolio piece out of this. You were not paid for this work so it belongs to you. Feel free to post before and after versions together as an example of your work.

Is that really advisable since the client owns the rights to the 'before' work as it's a part of their book draft?

colettelewis
Community Member

Colleen E wrote:

This is the sort of annoying thing that can happen even to seasoned freelancers. You could have one last try to get paid, but I doubt that you will. You could also report the client to CS, even though you  worked without a contract in place. What sort of track record does the client have? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths