🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting Paid with Manual Time
Page options
saurab_kumar
Community Member

Getting Paid with Manual Time

Hi everyone,

So I recently completed my first hourly paid job. I already discussed with the client about the time I'll be working on the project and hence, didn't use the Upwork Desktop time tracker and set the manual time today. But now, that I've completed the job, I'm confused about how I am gonna send him the invoice so he could pay me? There appears to be no option to do so as it was in Fixed Rate jobs. Please help me clear my confusion.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Was actually is that amount?"

It's fine.

re: "Will it be approved by the client?"

Clients do NOT approve manual time.

You get paid AUTOMATICALLY for manually-logged time.

re: "And when will I get paid?"

You will get paid soon. Read this:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
prestonhunter
Community Member

Go here:

Upwork -> Reports -> Overview

click on the name of the contract

click on "Work Diary"

Click on the "plus" icon

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 8.47.32 AM.png

Use this form to record manual time.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 8.47.39 AM.png

That is all.

You will be paid automatically.

You do NOT need to do anything else.

You do NOT need to send an invoice.

The client does NOT need to do anything.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I've already done what you've directed. I can see some amounts mentioned under the WORK IN PROGRESS tab. Was actually is that amount?

Will it be approved by the client? And when will I get paid?

Please answer these and I shall be clear.

Regards,

re: "Was actually is that amount?"

It's fine.

re: "Will it be approved by the client?"

Clients do NOT approve manual time.

You get paid AUTOMATICALLY for manually-logged time.

re: "And when will I get paid?"

You will get paid soon. Read this:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

Saurav Kumar S wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I've already done what you've directed. I can see some amounts mentioned under the WORK IN PROGRESS tab. Was actually is that amount?

Will it be approved by the client? And when will I get paid?

Please answer these and I shall be clear.

Regards,

You will be automatically paid for manual hours if the customer does not reject them.
Manual hours are not protected and if the client decides to challenge them, you will have nothing to do.
So, for the next time, you better use the time tracker (correctly) and you will have secured the payment.
If you knew how long the job was going to take, you could have made a fixed price contract with one or more milestones.

Hi Maria,

Yeah I should have done but I didn't had any idea about it before since I am new to upwork, especially the Hourly paid jobs. Actually, there is some amount under the WORK IN PROGRESS tab but I'm not sure what that amount is? And why is it under that tab?

Saurav Kumar S wrote:
Hi Maria,

Yeah I should have done but I didn't had any idea about it before since I am new to upwork, especially the Hourly paid jobs. Actually, there is some amount under the WORK IN PROGRESS tab but I'm not sure what that amount is? And why is it under that tab?

Look at the REPORTS / OVERVIEW tab and check the state of the money.
Each of the tabs has a question mark in which it gives you information about what each thing is.

I did the same thing since I am new here and didn't do my research. My client and I decided on manual time. I logged in the manual time, but I don't see any pending  payment or anything. Will it appear in a few days or have I been screwed?

Aimee B wrote:

I did the same thing since I am new here and didn't do my research. My client and I decided on manual time. I logged in the manual time, but I don't see any pending  payment or anything. Will it appear in a few days or have I been screwed?

Not yet! Hours will be paid automatically after the review period. 

But you need to be aware that manual hours are not payment protected and are easy to dispute. There is really no good reason for using manual hours for an ongoing contract. If you use the timetracker, you are payment protected. Since you're new, you should be very careful and not be pressured into doing something that is a bit risky. 

Edit - it seems riské is your thing, you might want to be a little careful there too. 

So I won't see the payment (if in fact he did pay me) for another week or so?

What do you mean I’m riské?

Aimee B wrote:

Martina was possibly referring to your portfolio.  It may be a good idea to read Upwork's rules and regs. 

Nichola L wrote:

Aimee B wrote:

Martina was possibly referring to your portfolio.  It may be a good idea to read Upwork's rules and regs. 

I was indeed. 

Aimee B wrote:

Your portfolio. This kind of thing is not allowed on upwork, and does endanger your profile being suspended. Plus it might not get you the right clients. 

Links to blogs are indeed allowed on UpWork, so I don’t know what you are
referring to.

##- Please type your reply above this line -#

Aimee B wrote:
referring to.

##- Please type your reply above this line -#

Subject matter

I don’t think I want to start changing things on my personal website and blog sites. I like what I have there.

But I understand what you are saying about how some of the content on my personal sites might not completely align with some of the language in Upwork’s ToS.

I don’t feel that I need to change the content on my personal sites. I can simply remove links from my Upwork profile page. Rather than linking to my personal sites, I can include selected portfolio pieces - without links. I can select portfolio pieces that are the best possible fit for Upwork’s particular sensibilities.

I can see now that what is fine on some sites isn’t necessarily a great match for Upwork.

Aimee B wrote:
referring to.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths