rebelknight

Getting Projects

Hello everyone, 

Being new here, I would like to begin by telling what is going on right now. I am unemployed and want to work as a 3D artist. At the moment I am learning from a tutorial set to do this. Is it possible to get a project to do every week? I know that this may seem a little bold, but I am curious. Can I interact with clients directly for them to give me the opportunity to show my skills(After looking at my portfolio of course)? I would appreciate any guidance. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Raj,

Once you complete your profile and it's approved, you'll be able to apply for jobs clients post on Upwork. Once they accept your proposals, you'll be able to communicate with them further about the project.

Check out this post for more information, resources and useful links for new Upwork freelancers.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
lysis10

Isn't being unemployed great? I recommend it to everyone.

To answer your question, depends on the market I suppose but if there is enough demand yes one project a week is possible. 

I hope you're not being sarcastic with the first thing you've said. 

Everything is possible.

What do you mean by "interact directly with clients" to show your skills?

Raj,

You may have accidentally opened a client account, but if you want to work on Upwork, you need to complete your profile. You won't be able to apply for any jobs until you do.

Of course I have to complete my profile first. I am just asking if it is possible to get a project every week. Because there are freelancers who don't get that at all. They get a project every two or three weeks. I am guessing about that. I just wanted to ask around before anything. 

A majority of freelancers here make no money at all. It takes a combo of skills, salesmanship, the ability to really know what to do without being told, and prolly a lot of luck.\

An account is free so nothing to lose. It can be really frustrating though and it's hard to get started.

What do you mean by what do I mean? Instead of just winning the jobs by bidding, I want to contact them and see if they have a project that I can do to show my skills. Simple to understand. 

@Raj M wrote:

What do you mean by what do I mean? Instead of just winning the jobs by bidding, I want to contact them and see if they have a project that I can do to show my skills. Simple to understand. 

No, it is OF COURSE not possible to " contact clients and see if they have a project"

There are 12 million freelancers on this site. Imagine if only 10% started randomly pestering clients to "see if they have a project!"

If a client has a project they post it on the site, and people can bid for it.

That is how it works.

Simple to understand indeed.

@Raj M wrote:

Yeah, I'm kinda slow, you know. Me is cannot understand so quick. Me is just dumb five star translator.  Robot Indifferent

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Raj,

Once you complete your profile and it's approved, you'll be able to apply for jobs clients post on Upwork. Once they accept your proposals, you'll be able to communicate with them further about the project.

Check out this post for more information, resources and useful links for new Upwork freelancers.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Yes of course everyone should. I wanted to know about everything before doing so. 

kat303

@Raj M wrote:

Hello everyone, 

Being new here, I would like to begin by telling what is going on right now. I am unemployed and want to work as a 3D artist. At the moment I am learning from a tutorial set to do this.

This is not the place to learn and test out your skills. Although there are different learning techniques for people, it's really hard to learn from a tutorial. Things don't go right and there's no one around to explain why or what you're doing wrong. You are competing against hundreds of other freelancers with the same skill that took years to develop. Clients want freelances that already know their stuff. They don't want work that's done from someone who's teaching themselves through a tutorial. What skills and qualifications have you Now, that's going to set you apart from the other hundred+ freelancers who've already perfected those skills through years of experience?

Is it possible to get a project to do every week? I know that this may seem a little bold, but I am curious.

Yes, it's possible, but it's also possible that every time I buy a lottery ticket each week, I will win soemthing. Possible, but highly doubtful.

Can I interact with clients directly for them to give me the opportunity to show my skills(After looking at my portfolio of course)? I would appreciate any guidance. 

No you can not contact or interact with a client directly unless they have initiated the communication first. If you want clients to hire you, you have to market yourself. Your proposal which can contain a link to your portfolio or samples on your computer that you can upload, it the main thing that will pull in a client and start that communication. If you don't market yourself in your proposal, you will not get any jobs at all, whether unskilled or expertly skilled.

Raj: you have stated what you are looking for. Very clearly.

I can assure you that it is NOT to be found here.

You imagined a certain way of working, and that is not how things work here.

I am not imagining anything. If I have, then I would be trying to work expecting them all coming to me. So I am clearly grounded by asking questions before starting. 

Raj,

I don't really know why you are so defensive, or why you should feel "grounded". You have received a lot of advice, but you don't want to take it. What you should do now is to finish your 3D course, get a job (even as an intern) with a company that will require those skills (so that eventually you can show clients looking for freelancers with 3D skills a little real world experience), work on getting a good portfolio together, and then give Upwork a try.

You need a picture of yourself, a good overview, a few relevant tests, and most importantly, a convincing portfolio.

She assumed that all tutorials are not good and wouldn't help. So I am just pointing this out telling that I am learning from experienced people. That is all. I am grouded and not imagining anything is what I meant. Its just not good when someone just thinks I am wishing that everything will come to me by "imagining". Not at all.  I did say "understood" and also said that " I am aware of that and that is what I am going to do". So how can you say that I didn't take the advises? 

"What you should do now is to finish your 3D course, get a job (even as an intern) with a company that will require those skills (so that eventually you can show clients looking for freelancers with 3D skills a little real world experience), work on getting a good portfolio together, and then give Upwork a try.You need a picture of yourself, a good overview, a few relevant tests, and most importantly, a convincing portfolio.

That is exactly what I said..... if you actually read my response to her. Again, I am just asking around before all of this. 

Thank you to all for the answers. I appreciate them.  Have a good day everyone. 

"This is not the place to learn and test out your skills." 

I am here to work and not "test" my skills

"It's really hard to learn from a tutorial. Things don't go right and there's no one around to explain why or what you're doing wrong."

That depends. Do you know all of those out there? No. You wrote that without even asking me where am I learning from. I am not doing this via youtube. Having done that tells me that it doesn't help. I am learning and practicing at a website that provides adequate tutorials and I paid for them. They have these for all levels and a community to post works, ask questions and get feedback. The tutors are graduates in computer graphics and experienced. 

"Clients want freelances that already know their stuff. They don't want work that's done from someone who's teaching themselves through a tutorial."

I would work with them once I have learned, practiced and created my works and not do so while I am learning, obviously. Isn't it mainly important that the job gets done and the clients are satisfied? They have nothing to lose for that. 

"What skills and qualifications have you Now, that's going to set you apart from the other hundred+ freelancers who've already perfected those skills through years of experience?"

I don't think you really know anything about the 3D world. In this field, the degree will not get me the job. My portfolio will. That is why the creators of the website hired these tutors to make tutorials so that anyone who loves 3D can benefit from them and not needing to go to art school. There are relatively few types of 3D skills and I am learning one of those. We all start somewhere, don't we? Quality over quantity. I don't know about setting myself apart from other freelancers. I want to be one of them. That is all I ask for. 

"Yes, it's possible, but it's also possible that every time I buy a lottery ticket each week, I will win soemthing. Possible, but highly doubtful." 

True. Like I've said. I am just asking about it and and that it may be bold.  That is all. 

"No you can not contact or interact with a client directly unless they have initiated the communication first."

Understood

"If you want clients to hire you, you have to market yourself. Your proposal which can contain a link to your portfolio or samples on your computer that you can upload, it the main thing that will pull in a client and start that communication. If you don't market yourself in your proposal, you will not get any jobs at all, whether unskilled or expertly skilled."

I am aware of this. Exactly what I am going to do. I am just asking around before doing those. 

Sure. Why not give it a try? Build up your profile, gather some nice feedbacks, but be prepared to spend a lot of time searching for jobs, earning little money, writing applications, building your resume, analyzing your stats, reading Upwork guidelines and the like. Start with tiny jobs, be honest and confident and don't fall for the scammers. Good luck.

I will. Thanks Smiley Happy