🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting Started On Upwork As A Freelancer
Page options
upworkamerduka
Community Member

Getting Started On Upwork As A Freelancer

Hello !

Im new member of Upwork and i need some advices that would help me to make a great start.

1. How to get your first job because i create some proposal to client and didn't get any replies or messages.

I will appriciate you answer 

Amer Duka

Writer&Translator

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Amer D wrote:

Hello !

Im new member of Upwork and i need some advices that would help me to make a great start.

1. How to get your first job because i create some proposal to client and didn't get any replies or messages.

Amer Duka

Writer&Translator

You must upload a picture of yourself, it is one of your marketings tools, together with a credible profile and well-written proposals. Pretending to know something that you don't will get you absolutely nowhere. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
petra_r
Community Member

@Amer D wrote:

Hello !

That is because your profile is a complete mess. It screams "dishonest" because you claim to have skills you then demonstrate that you don't possess+. Your English, for example, is not even anywhere near fluent, let alone "native level" so any thought of "writing" (in anything other than your native language) is out.

As far as all the other "skills" you claim to have go: There is no indication that you actually have any of them.  You are clearly not a translator, or a writer. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Sorry Miss 

I've been working for 4 years as a web developer ( PHP , Javascript , MySql ) & Designer ( Theme Template , Theme By Photoshop ) and Writing articles on wordpress platform , blog post & writing books. 

Translation - Im a turkish person and turkish is my language , you are telling me that i don't speak English 

1. Sorry Miss Do You Have Any Proof

2. You Telling Me That I Lie About My Skills - Sorry What Types Of Skills Im Lying.

The problem is , don't be so disrespectful miss becuase i do not work alone as a freelancer , You don't have any proof of this **Edited for Community Guidelines**

@Amer D wrote:

1. Sorry Miss Do You Have Any Proof

2. You Telling Me That I Lie About My Skills - Sorry What Types Of Skills Im Lying.

...... becuase i do not work alone as a freelancer , You don't have any proof ::::

You claim to speak native level English. You claim to be a native level translator.

Your profile and your posts are written in really poor English. That is proof enough.

If you let someone else work on your profile you get kicked off the platform because that is forbidden.

You asked why clients don't hire you. I told you. Do what you like with the information.

Ok Miss I New Here , 1 Week Working On Upwork.

Now Im Gonna Change My Description For A Better One..

Anyway Thank You For Your Advice Petra.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Amer D wrote:

Hello !

Amer Duka

Writer&Translator

You must upload a picture of yourself, it is one of your marketings tools, together with a credible profile and well-written proposals. Pretending to know something that you don't will get you absolutely nowhere. 

Thank You Martina For Your Advice .

@ Amer --

It is good that you changed your tone and thanked Petra and Martina for good advice.

Please note, for future use, that telling anyone (most especially a female) "it will be more good if keep your place" is absolutely a no-no in American culture and (I suspect) in most Anglo cultures. A reference to "keeping one's place" is exceptionally insulting.

Sorry Janean
I've been very offended when she said im "dishonest" becuase putting skills that i don't know .
Sorry Janean but a community guru should speak with culture to a new freelancer on upwork.

Is That Correct ?

@Amer --

Your question to me invites a response, so I will be honest. Please note that it is not my intention to further a "flame war" of any kind.

Petra's response to you was dead-on. She is absolutely correct. Perhaps she could have sugar-coated the facts a bit, and not used the word "lie." The facts, however, would remain the same. You represented your English skills in your profile as being of "Native/Bilingual" level, and that is self-evidently untrue. Even as I type this, your profile now claims that your English skills are "fluent." That claim is, likewise, manifestly false. Perhaps you are more mistaken than you are "lying," but your assessment of your English skills is, nevertheless, badly, badly mistaken. (For example, I have no idea what it even means to "speak with culture,"  as you say in a previous post. That, however, is but one small example, among many, many examples, of your lack of command of English.)

You asked for information on why you are not achieving success. Petra offered you a candid, blunt assessment of why that might be so. You took offense at what she said. You wanted her to be gentle and kind. You hoped, perhaps, to hear that nothing is your fault, and to be given a magic script for proposals that will result in many jobs coming your way. Reality is a drag.

You seem to be blaming the messenger. But facts, alas, are stubborn things.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

I'd like to ask participants of this thread to be mindful of the Community Guidelines and respectful toward other members of the Community. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Sure Bojan But As You See , One Member Here Is Offending And Trying To Make Me Im A Fraud Of My Skills.

Janean She's trying to make me a fraud of my skills. That im getting angry about this.
Ok English I Appriciate Her For That I Change It But Others

@Amer D wrote:
Sure Bojan But As You See , One Member Here Is Offending And Trying To Make Me Im A Fraud Of My Skills.

For the love of God, don't start every single word with a capital letter, it makes my eyes bleed by just reading. [It had been said in the most respectful way]

@Amer D wrote:
Janean She's trying to make me a fraud of my skills. That im getting angry about this.

Since I have advanced knwoledge in English and Italian i can help you in traslation

That is almost comical. Look at this sentence from a client's perspective. The very word that you claim to have is spelled wrong, and the very skill you want to provide, too. 

What will your prospective client think? Quite obviously, that you either don't have the skills, or are extremely sloppy, or a combination of both. You claim to be a writer but consistently ignore basic spelling and spacing rules. 

This is not the way to win jobs. 

Clean up your profile, only offer skills where you feel confident you can do them better or at least just as well as the other hundreds of thousands other freelancers offering the same skills. Consider your competion.  

After you have done that, apply only to jobs that you are confident your work will be excellent, and write a proposal that stands out from the other applicants. 

You don't want any prospective clients to read your profile as it is now.

@Amer D wrote:

Amer, you'd asked a question; Janean simply answered your question.  She's not doing anything other than giving you an honest response. 

Frankly not all honest answers to questions are "sugar and spice and everything nice."  Would you prefer to receive an honest response whereby you'll learn something or a soft and fluffy one whereby you wouldn't learn anything? 

Quote: "Amer D wrote:

Amer, you'd asked a question; Janean simply answered your question.  She's not doing anything other than giving you an honest response."

I agree, Pat, that people often react badly to candor. In ths case, I would just make one teensy re-direction of your comment:  I believe that while Amer may be annoyed with me, his words "That im getting angry about this." actually refer to Petra. Of course, given that those words are not a complete sentence and that, even as a phrase, the word "this" lacks a clear referent -- and given that the phrase preceding this one was word salad ("Janean She's trying to make me a fraud of my skills.") -- well... It's all a bit of a guess.

In short, Pat, I believe that the "Janean" in Amer's first phrase was a vocative (intended to address me) rather than a misplaced nominative (intended to refer TO me as the agent of "fraud-making" -- which I take to mean, instead, [Petra's] implication that Amer is a fraud). But, really, the actual meaning is difficult to tease out.

@Janean L wrote:

"it will be more good if keep your place" is absolutely a no-no in American culture and (I suspect) in most Anglo cultures. A reference to "keeping one's place" is exceptionally insulting.

Not only in Anglo cultures. :france:

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
versailles
Community Member

@Amer D wrote:

Hello !

Amer Duka

Writer&Translator

You can only translate into the language you have a native command of, which in your case would be Albanian. Pretty much same goes for writing. The fact that you claim, and try, to sell writing or translation services in other languages is something that totally discredits you in the eyes of prospects.

Also, on Upwork people tend generally to find more success when they focus on one set of skills and very little success when they try to sell totally unrelated skills. Like you do. Ever heard about Jacks, and trades?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

This thread has been closed from further replies.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths