🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting Started
Page options
0906b144
Community Member

Getting Started

Hello,

I'm new to Upwork as an interior designer and I'm finding that people are submitting a scope for their project, it is very limited in details of what they are requesting and it as a freelancer makes it very difficult to submit a proposal.  

I'm doing this as to supplement my solo business.  However, I'm finding most clients are asking $24-$45hourly rates. In the US as a freelancer you can count on 30% taken off in taxes.  

This is a good platform if you are starting off but not when you have an established business with overhead.  I pay my design assistant more than this.  Is there a way for a freelancer to ask more questions before submitting a proposal to the client? Also, can't Upwork allow a feature that your proposal is being seen and if there's a time limit to reject or accept a proposal? Please comment.

How do you overcome these obstacles?

1 REPLY 1
robin_hyman
Community Member

Christina W wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to Upwork as an interior designer and I'm finding that people are submitting a scope for their project, it is very limited in details of what they are requesting and it as a freelancer makes it very difficult to submit a proposal.  

I'm doing this as to supplement my solo business.  However, I'm finding most clients are asking $24-$45hourly rates. In the US as a freelancer you can count on 30% taken off in taxes.  

This is a good platform if you are starting off but not when you have an established business with overhead. 

Remember this is a global platform so there are freelancers from other countries where $20 an hour can feed their family for a few days. I disagree that this is a good platform for beginners; I have 15+ years experience and started here almost 2 years ago.  It helps to have an established career BEFORE you sign up.  A portfolio and know-how to deal with clients is beneficial to the world of freelancing. 

I pay my design assistant more than this.  Is there a way for a freelancer to ask more questions before submitting a proposal to the client?

I frequently ask questions IN my proposal. Clients tend not to post details which may be pertinent for you to submit a more accurate price quote.  In those cases I will submit their fixed price budget and write "fixed price is a placeholder until I have a better understanding of the project scope". 

Also, can't Upwork allow a feature that your proposal is being seen and if there's a time limit to reject or accept a proposal? Please comment.

Currently it isn't a feature to view if the client has seen your proposal.  Of course assume yes if you get a reply.  Upwork has recently rolled out a feature showing a blue dot next to the # of connects on specific job posts.  If the client has no interaction with those posts for 30 days the connects will be returned to the freelancer.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths