🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting Your Second Job
Page options
suleiman_ocheni
Community Member

Getting Your Second Job

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the platform and everything I’ve read about freelancing on Upwork says that the hardest part of being a freelancer on the platform is getting that elusive “First Job”, and that everything will become much easier after that... Anyway, I got my first job, and it was easier to get than I thought it would be... I did the job, got paid and got a good review and have not been able to get another since. I have been applying to jobs I am genuinely interested in and am qualified for; taking the time to write good proposals relatively quickly, but nothing... and my connects for the month are almost finished.

I guess I just want someone to tell me what some reasonable expectations for my situation are. Is the initial “First Job” advice that everyone gives online false?
6 REPLIES 6
jes-webdev
Community Member

You get ups and downs. Sometimes you might get a few jobs at a time, sometimes you can't get anything. 

It gets easier the more jobs you get. 

I'm almost out of connects at the moment, and I have 8 jobs completed. I've had a few promising interviews but for one reason or another, not too much has happened for me lately on Upwork. 

Maybe try experimenting with different pay rates and proposal methods. 

If you get the "Rising Talent" badge that will help.

Hope you find work soon Suleiman. 

Jesse

Haha! Thanks for the advice Jesse. I hope I find work soon too.

About the Rising Talent badge. I qualify, based on the information that Upwork has provided, but I haven’t been invited to the program yet. I guess I’ll just keep my fingers crossed.

No worries 🙂 

Yeah, I'm not too sure how exactly the Rising Talent badge is rewarded. It seems that it's based on at least one factor that's outside of what you can control on your profile: oppurtunities available in the market. 

The most important thing is you got your first job. It should be easier to get your second now that you have had your first. Once you've had around 5 jobs your job success score will be calculated, then you won't need a Rising Talent badge. 

I can relate. Getting a second job can be a bummer. Just got to keep on trying.

cab16d12
Community Member

Hey man. I, right now, am just at where you were 4 years ago and you are a Top Rated freelancer now! I've also got my first job and trying hard to get the second one. Would you please share how did you get your second job after this post? Thanks man! You are such an inspiration! 

After almost a year, I am a TOP RATED freelancer too!

NEVER GIVE UP!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths