🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Getting a job
Page options
4ley
Community Member

Getting a job

I am new to upwork but not new to the industry, How does this work ?  Am i supposed to send them examples of previous work i have done in the past, or am i supposed to design the logo or website first and send it to them and see if i get the job.  If thats the case it kind of seems crazy to me as I spend all the time working on the project only to have it rejected.  I haver submit lots of proposals but no one accepted.  Any tips for a new person to land a job ??

2 REPLIES 2
kat303
Community Member

@Nickolas F wrote:

I am new to upwork but not new to the industry, How does this work ?  Am i supposed to send them examples of previous work i have done in the past, or am i supposed to design the logo or website first and send it to them and see if i get the job.  If thats the case it kind of seems crazy to me as I spend all the time working on the project only to have it rejected.  I haver submit lots of proposals but no one accepted.  Any tips for a new person to land a job ??

Before submitting proposals on this site, or even looking for a job, you need to go through EVERY greel link that's listed on these 2 addresses

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/td-p/264214

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us?flash_digest=267b3c968461534bf9759049e4b07aeb1d908c23

Then you need to search these discussing for "scams" so you'll be prepared and won't fall victim to the scams going around here.

Then and only then will you have the information and preperation to work here..

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nickolas, 

I would recommend that you read up on the links that Kathy sent so that you can read up on help articles, blog posts, and tips on how to work as a freelancer on Upwork. 

If you have projects you've done in the past, you can add this on the portfolio section of your Upwork account so that your potential clients can see your past completed projects. Please know that you should only start working on a project once the client has sent you an offer, you have accepted it, it's showing on your My Jobs page, and the client's payment method is verified. 

Please also read up on these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, and the Safety First! section of the first link Kathy shared, for more information on how you can work safely on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths