cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting hired

Adassa R Member Since: Mar 4, 2017
1 of 12

Hello,

I am a Freelancer on Upwork platform, the person who referred me to the site told me it is not a long process to get hired. I have submitted plenty proposals since last week and passed some tests with high scores and I haven't received any call or feedback on my proposals. I would like to know more about getting hired quickly because I really need these jobs to boost my monthly income. Thanks in advance for your quick reply on this.

Regards,

Adassa

Community Guru
Vince D Member Since: Feb 18, 2016
2 of 12

First off you are in a highly competitive area so it may be a while before you get your first gigs.

Your profile overview should say less about you and more about what you can do for your clients. You should say something that will grab their attention as to why they should hire you. Also on your profile, hide the below average tests.

Keep trying and good luck.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
Community Leader
Martin C Member Since: Feb 24, 2017
3 of 12

@Vince D wrote:

First off you are in a highly competitive area so it may be a while before you get your first gigs.

Your profile overview should say less about you and more about what you can do for your clients. You should say something that will grab their attention as to why they should hire you. Also on your profile, hide the below average tests.

Keep trying and good luck.

Good advice. It's a common question, isn't it? Feels like every freelancer is constantly adapting, refining, fine-tuning their approach to be more competitive. I recommend diving into the various resources available here in the forum, as well as out on the wild wild interwebs.

4 of 12

Thanks Martin!

5 of 12

Thanks Vince!

Nishant K Member Since: Jun 3, 2016
6 of 12

Hi greetings, You are working with the 1000's of competitors, to get a job you have show your skills. Passing test with atleast good average & showing your recent work, personal work & showing some portfolio is a good way to describe you.

On applying job, you must have a showcase of your recent work & your skill set must match the requirement of job(currently you are showing the Adobe Flash - this will not bag a job for the Communications). Upwork have a lot of opportunities but also a big competition. Be ready for the next opprotunity. Any help needed in showing portfolio, i can help you.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 12

Your friend lied to you.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 12

@Jennifer M wrote:

Your friend lied to you.

Maybe it was a lucky acquaintance or colleague who made it sound easy, but for most new freelancers it's difficult getting hired, especially for the first time. And it doesn't make it any easier if you choose to show 7 below average test scores in your profile while omitting a portfolio.

9 of 12

re: "I really need these jobs to boost my monthly income."

That is not what Upwork is about.

If you need money quickly, then you need to NOT USE Upwork.

Working on Upwork is NOT about fast cash. It is primarily a lifestyle choice, and it is intended for people who have skills that are in demand by clients, and who can make a committment in time and effort to really get things going. It may take many months to start earning significant money, and that is if you have in-demand skills AND the right temperment for working as an online freelancer.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 12

@John K wrote:

Maybe it was a lucky acquaintance or colleague who made it sound easy, but for most new freelancers it's difficult getting hired, especially for the first time. And it doesn't make it any easier if you choose to show 7 below average test scores in your profile while omitting a portfolio.

ouch... I just looked. Maybe her mistake was taking the French tests. I was friends with a French girl for a while and she said that Creole is not the same. It's been maybe 15 years since we were friends but I remember her saying in Creole they refer to everything as "the machine." LOL I don't know why I remember that.

OP, if you need money fast it's better to sell stuff on ebay. I know some people who did that for some quick cash.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS