🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting my Profile Noticed
Page options
richardswrites
Community Member

Getting my Profile Noticed

Hi everyone. I have been actively looking for work on Upwork for a few weeks now. I have taken many of the courses offered, my picture is smiling, my profiles are, I believe, pretty great. Still, no one is even seeing my profile. I have sent out some pretty good cover letters and links to my work. I have applied for work at incredibly low rates so I can get some reviews. Nothing!

Is it just a matter of time? Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Kate. I'll keep going. It would be nice if I could just land the first one! 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jr-translation
Community Member

Wendy R wrote:

Hi everyone. I have been actively looking for work on Upwork for a few weeks now. I have taken many of the courses offered, my picture is smiling, my profiles are, I believe, pretty great. Still, no one is even seeing my profile. I have sent out some pretty good cover letters and links to my work. I have applied for work at incredibly low rates so I can get some reviews. Nothing!

Is it just a matter of time? Thank you.

Some clients are filtering for freelancers that are native or bilingual in English. If you are, you might want to change that in your profile.

Thanks Jennifer. I'll give it a try.

raina5
Community Member

Hi Wendy,  I looked at your profile and it seems just fine! I don't know about your field or what kind of competition you have here, but I know there are a lot of freelancers on Upwork.  I think, more than anything, it's a numbers game.  As long as you do great work, have good customer service skills and deliver quality results, you will eventually get the ball rolling here.  I think. I don't know, but it's my strong belief. You could be one day away from landing your first gig, which will lead to more and more. I would try to spend plenty of time on the site, making samples, tweaking your profile, looking at jobs, looking at other freelancers profiles, etc.) I have a theory, completely unproven, that just spending plenty of time on Upwork might make your profile pop up more. (this is unproven, lol).  One thing I would say is don't bid too low. Clients who hire based on low rates are often the worst clients, I have found. You can work for them for peanuts, and they will still leave you a bad review, or keep asking for more and more at no additional price and so forth. There are good quality clients here and those are the ones you want to connect with. Best wishes to you, and hang tough!

Thanks Kate. I'll keep going. It would be nice if I could just land the first one! 

Hi Kate, 

I've only been on Upwork for about three weeks. I've been applying for data entry jobs that "I know" I can do. However, I get rejection notices. Question. I have a Master's degree which I placed on Upwork. My thinking is that maybe prospective employers don't want anyone with this type of degree??? I put my B.S. degree and school in my education spot today. I read your comment that there are a lot of freelancers on UW. It's a numbers game. But when I get rejected the very next day, employers are looking at me before they unroyally push me aside. Does the degree matter much? Should I have someone at UW look at my profile to see what's up? Thanks in advance!

Fred B.

Hi Frederick, I think you'll find a lot of data entry jobs offered here to be low on pay, high on competition. So definitely lean into your particular expertise in this field and what you can offer the client that other freelancers presumably can't. I think most clients won't read as far as your degrees, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. But revamping your profile to talk about more what you offer clients and less about what you've done in previous positions will help clients make the decision between you and tons of other data entry applicants. You probably can't beat your competition on price, so you want to highlight your skills and expertise in a way clients can easily take in.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths