🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting my first freelance gig
Page options
custermatt
Community Member

Getting my first freelance gig

I have more than 30 years corporate experience in PR, and I'm new to freelancing.  Just about every job I find attractive requires 90% completiong rate and Rising Talent.  How do I break through those barriers? Lower my price preference from $$$? Other strategies?

5 REPLIES 5
apanvalkar
Community Member

Hi Matt,

Lowering the price is one way to look at it.

I would suggest you have such an extensive experience so put it properly in your profile portfolio including your work experience (if you can).

I do not have much knowledge of PR but your profile is something which will get you your first job.

When you apply, you mention clearly that you may not meet the objective criteria but subjectively your experience is much higher then the set criteria.

Invite them to see your profile in your application itself.

First job is hard I know, I was lucky I started upwork in 2007/08 when competition was less but even after all these years I have seen profile makes the most difference.

Best wishes on landing the first one!

Cheers,

Aniruddh

pandoraharper
Community Member

@Matt C wrote:

I have more than 30 years corporate experience in PR, and I'm new to freelancing.  Just about every job I find attractive requires 90% completiong rate and Rising Talent.  How do I break through those barriers? Lower my price preference from $$$? Other strategies?

The 90% JSS rating and Rising Talent requirements are not what they seem. Having neither, you can still bid on those jobs. Rising Talent is a status that you will automatically receive after taking a few (10 is the current number I think) jobs. JSS is something that you will get once you have had more work and received lots of feedback.

As you start working on Upwork, you will also see other job requirements such as 100 or 1000 hours billed on Upwork. You can bid on those jobs too. 

Finally, this is an insanely common question. Everyone thinks they cant bid on 90% and Rising Talent jobs when they are new. You can, just be aware the client might "prefer" someone with UPWORK experience. 

Most established freelancers will tell you NOT to lower your rates. Right now you should be working on getting your profile into tip-top shape, and creating some job feeds so that you can find the PR jobs easily. A lot of PR jobs that I have seen want help from someone in the US.

Finally, since your PR experience is something your selling, I'd really suggest you add it to your Profile Title.

jvansteenwyk
Community Member

Matt, 

If I'm in your shoes, I'd import a couple of your existing contacts willing to hire you to upwork. You'll get some points on the board, some good feedback, and you'll be on your way!

I think there's a way for you to bring your clients to the platform without paying a percentage, but even if you're paying 20 percent on a couple of small projects, it's money well spent to prime the UpWork pump, as it were!

Good luck!

@jason V wrote:

Matt, 

If I'm in your shoes, I'd import a couple of your existing contacts willing to hire you to upwork. You'll get some points on the board, some good feedback, and you'll be on your way!

I think there's a way for you to bring your clients to the platform without paying a percentage, but even if you're paying 20 percent on a couple of small projects, it's money well spent to prime the UpWork pump, as it were!

Good luck!

Just for the record, there is no "client import" function. Clients you have worked for in the past, off of Upwork, can create accounts on Upwork and hire you. The main Upwork site is not a board. The forums, where we are communicating right now, is. And we don't get points, we get a JSS score.

In regards to bringing clients into Upwork and not paying the 20% fee, only Top Rated freelancers can do that. Newbies can't. Furthermore, this was a Promotion that ran in 2017, and unless a Forum Moderator chimes in and says otherwise, said Promotion is no longer running.

jmeyn
Community Member

@Matt C wrote:

Matt,

Your hourly rate is low already. I cannot recommend starting with a low rate, it will be a really tough job to raise it again later. Maybe look at fixed price jobs too, the hourly rate isn't as obvious there.

Don't bother about limitations like 90% completion rate, # of hours etc. Apply, state why you can't match such requirements being new and that's it. Get your profile up to speed, also add samples if you can and be selective in the jobs you apply for. They should really fit.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths