🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Getting paid per piece
Page options
brodymichelle
Community Member

Getting paid per piece

Happy Monday!  I am new to Upwork and so is the person who contracted me.  We are trying to figure out how to pay me per piece.  She only saw an option to pay me hourly.  I delivered a piece last week and we're kind of stumbling through this... I don't know what a person sees who is offering a proposal.  Help?

3 REPLIES 3
robin_hyman
Community Member

Michelle B wrote:

Happy Monday!  I am new to Upwork and so is the person who contracted me.  We are trying to figure out how to pay me per piece.  She only saw an option to pay me hourly.  I delivered a piece last week and we're kind of stumbling through this... I don't know what a person sees who is offering a proposal.  Help?

Welcome to Upwork!  Sounds like the blind is leading the blind.  Upwork has a in-depth resource site with answers to common questions.  I typed "Upwork how do I pay for a job" in google and this came up in search results:

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/startup/how-do-i-pay-a-freelancer-on-upwork/

Projects are paid hourly (as mentioned) or on a fixed-price basis.  If you are paid hourly you enter time manually via the work diary or use the time tracker app.  If you are comfortable with the client then manual is ok.  But for new clients everyone in this community will recommend you use the time tracker app to ensure you get paid (otherwise client can dispute and will likely win).  

For fixed priced projects, client puts money in escrow.  You can be paid for the entire project or in milestones. 

Here is an article about fixed projects written for freelancers:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063718-Get-Paid-for-Fixed-Price-Contracts?flash_dige...

Hope you had a contract before delivering work.  Some clients scam new freelancers....

Good luck!

colettelewis
Community Member

Michelle B wrote:

How was the original contract set up? If it was hourly, you won't be able to change it to a fixed-price job, but your client could pay you as a bonus. If you did not have a formal contract in place, then your client should set one up retrospectively, and in this case it would be better to make it a fixed-price job.

She could then pay you once you have accepted the offer and the price you both agreed upon. She could also pay you as a bonus. But she (and you) need to read the pages Robin provided. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Paying "per piece" would typically be done using a fixed-price contract.

Ultimately, freelancers and clients need to fit whatever they are doing into the 4 payment methods available:

- hourly

- fixed-price

- bonus

- weekly "salary" (retainer)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths