🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting requirements and budgeting
Page options
efa5ea15
Community Member

Getting requirements and budgeting

I charge for my time gathering requirements, making proposal and budgeting a job. This has to be added to final chargable hours. How can I add this to my clocked time via upwork please? Because this work has happenned before confirming job through upwork.

Thanks

Cem Celik

10 REPLIES 10
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Cem,

Once you`re hired on a hourly contract your clients can send you bonus payments at any time or you can add manual time as well. 
Please keep in mind that manual time is not protected under our Upwork Hourly Protection. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Ok cool this should be enough for now. I guess no plans to integrate such a
system. Because each project will have pre-production stage of work. In
this case 5 hrs of creating a solution and making a proposal then budget.
It is almost half the work.

Ok if they don’t like the proposal they don’t pay but if they do they
should pay for it.

Thank you anyway.
Best
Cem

Hi Goran thanks for this. I tried to put the manual time but it won't allow me. In the description it says you cannot put manual time during your working clocked hours so I put out of those hours but still without an answer or guidance it just does not allow. The answer seems to be always, you cannot put manual time at the specified time. Any work around? What I don't understand isUpwork doesn't guarantee this any way so why does this have anything to do with them. This is our business and we do it how we work for years. No?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Cem C wrote:

I charge for my time gathering requirements, making proposal and budgeting a job. This has to be added to final chargable hours. How can I add this to my clocked time via upwork please? Because this work has happenned before confirming job through upwork.

Thanks

Cem Celik

I don't know how appreciative a client will be when you charge them for writing a proposal to them. In my country estimates are always free of charge by law unless otherwise specified beforehand, and are considered a cost of doing business. 

Not saying you are doing something against the law, just curious how you want to achieve that on upwork. 

Oh yes, and the moonlanding was fake. 

I'm sorry but I was invited by the client to look at version 1 of the software, design a solution for the new build they required and propose and budget. This was more than half a day work. I don't design software for free do you?

Cem C wrote:

I'm sorry but I was invited by the client to look at version 1 of the software, design a solution for the new build they required and propose and budget. This was more than half a day work. I don't design software for free do you?

Next time tell the client he needs to hire you before you do that kind of work. 

petra_r
Community Member

Cem C wrote:

I charge for my time gathering requirements, making proposal and budgeting a job. This has to be added to final chargable hours.

You need to build that sort of thing into your rates and prices.

efa5ea15
Community Member

Thanks Petra, not sure I understand.Are you saying I should charge more per hour to cover it? There is a manual time feature which is pretty useless as it won't let you put it any way. This was agreed with the client so it on't be a problem for them to cover it but the Upwork system won't allow me to put my extra 5 hours work into chargeable time. 

Cem:
You can do this however you want to do it, as long as you use the currently-availabe Upwork user interface and don't violate any rules.

You have MANY options.

For example, at the beginning of the process, you can tell the client that she will be billed for the requirements-gathering process, and that she will need to pay you for that using the Bonus tool.

Or you can NOT do any requirements gathering until after you have a contract in place, and then you use the time-tracker while you do that step.

Or you can require that clients allow manuallly-logged time and you get paid by adding manual time for that work.

Upwork doesn't have a special button for this.
You can not assume that every client will know what you are doing, so just make it clear at the beginning.

Many Upwork freelancers are like me:
If there is no contract in place, then I don't assume that the client will pay me anything. I don't bill for work done until the contract has started.

But if you are transparent about your processes, and use the existing tools and policies, you can figure out something that will work for you and your clients.

Thanks this makes sense. Client is aware of this anyway and has agreed as
most of my time was designing and documenting tech spec for next version
which is now done.
Will take time to get used to this...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths