🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Getting work during interview process?
Page options
julia_shen
Community Member

Getting work during interview process?

Hello people of the Upwork community,

I'm new to this platform and am a bit confused about how the hiring process works. I received my first invitation from a client yesterday. I accepted the proposal and sent a message with more detailed information. Then the client just straightforwardly told me about the first job and attached all the documents! The client also told me that they have more of such work if I'm ready. I assume I'm still in the interview process, and I didn't sign any contract yet. At the same time the client also has a high rating, good hiring history and a verified payment method. Is this a normal situation, and how should I proceed from here? And if it matters, this is a translation job. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yitwail
Community Member

Julia, you accepted the client's invitation. Once you've done that, you're in the interview process. The client can send you materials, and you can look at them and ask questions, but do not do any work until the client accepts your proposal. Since the client has a history at Upwork, they would know this already, but if you're comfortable translating everything they provided, let them know you can begin working as soon as they offer you a contract by accepting your proposal. And if this is a fixed price job, then only start work if the milestone is funded for the amount you specified in your proposal. Good luck.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
versailles
Community Member

Stop.

Stop everything.

Go to the help section and learn how this site works. Read everything, watch every video they put there. Also, read the Getting Started on Upwork topic for the beginners on the top of this section.

Then, and only then you can seek gigs. Otherwise, it will end badly.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
yitwail
Community Member

Julia, you accepted the client's invitation. Once you've done that, you're in the interview process. The client can send you materials, and you can look at them and ask questions, but do not do any work until the client accepts your proposal. Since the client has a history at Upwork, they would know this already, but if you're comfortable translating everything they provided, let them know you can begin working as soon as they offer you a contract by accepting your proposal. And if this is a fixed price job, then only start work if the milestone is funded for the amount you specified in your proposal. Good luck.

Community Manager

Hi Julia, 

Rene, and John gave sound advice. Start working with a client if the client sent you an offer, and you accepted it (it will show as an active contract on your My Jobs page), and if the client's payment method has already been verified. 

As you are new here, I would recommend that you read up on these resources and these tips to help you get started on Upwork, and to help you work safe on the platform. 

~ Avery
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Julia, you probably have read up on how the platform works. 

A little bit on the terms, which can be confusing in the beginning:

In order to get hired, you either:

1. send a proposal to a job posting from a client. The client may accept your proposal, usually after some messaging in the chatroom of upwork, and send you an offer. Once you accept the offer (only do that when you have seen everything you need in order to complete the job), you have a job, you will receive an email that your job has started, and you will see it in your "my jobs" page. 

2. receive an unsolicited invitation to apply for a job, you accept the invitation, which usually leads to messaging with the client. Again, you can ask anything you need to know, or receive any files. If the client wants to hire you, he needs to send an offer, and the rest is like above. 

Never do anything beyond these procedures, especially going outside of upwork, or doing any work before being hired. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Julia, you probably have read up on how the platform works. 

A little bit on the terms, which can be confusing in the beginning:

In order to get hired, you either:

1. send a proposal to a job posting from a client. The client may accept your proposal, usually after some messaging in the chatroom of upwork, and send you an offer. Once you accept the offer (only do that when you have seen everything you need in order to complete the job), you have a job, you will receive an email that your job has started, and you will see it in your "my jobs" page. 

2. receive an unsolicited invitation to apply for a job, you accept the invitation, which usually leads to messaging with the client. Again, you can ask anything you need to know, or receive any files. If the client wants to hire you, he needs to send an offer, and the rest is like above. 

Never do anything beyond these procedures, especially going outside of upwork, or doing any work before being hired. 

Also, your rate is too low. 

Hello Martina and the Upwork community, 

Similarly to Julia, I am also new to Upwork and am a bit confused on the process. I received an invitation with very little information on a project. I thought that once I'd accept it we'd be able to further discuss the details of his projects, but the next step it took me to is where I would fill out timeline/milestones/pay. Unfortunately, I am not able to evaluate this before receiving a full project brief and discussing the project and needs in detail. But I also cannot move on to the next step unless I'd fill in the information. How am I supposed to proceed? 

Would appreciate and help and suggestions.

Thank you!

Shirly N wrote:

Similarly to Julia, I am also new to Upwork and am a bit confused on the process. I received an invitation with very little information on a project. I thought that once I'd accept it we'd be able to further discuss the details of his projects, but the next step it took me to is where I would fill out timeline/milestones/pay. Unfortunately, I am not able to evaluate this before receiving a full project brief and discussing the project and needs in detail. But I also cannot move on to the next step unless I'd fill in the information. How am I supposed to proceed?

Fill it out and explain that your quote is a random placeholder and will be adapted once you and the client have discussed the scope.

Don't bother with milestones, just quote the budget price as a per-project price, it just opens the dialogue.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths