🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Getting work, verifying myself as an upwork m...
Page options
jadestonedesigns
Community Member

Getting work, verifying myself as an upwork member

I am an experienced graphic artist, specialing in print media (Tee shirts, cards, flyers, etc.) I joined and used all my free bids to bid on jobs. I followed all the hints, uploaded a ton of samples, included my resume, bid on less than 5 bids jobs, etc. I have received no approvals. I have a ton of clients (in the real world) that would write testimonials for me (The are constantly telling people about me in real life at bars and concerts when they are playing) but they do not like Linked In social media network. Upwork is unable to have people write testimonials and verify them through traditional ways as actual people. (Not that you should need that for a graphic designer. Sometimes I do wedding invitations and birthday parties; These people aren't businesses) I feel unmotivated and not convinced that this works to get more business. I am trying to expand my graphic design so I can get consistent work (Without working under someone else, as I've done ALL my life) I don't see how people can bring in their vetted customer testimonials (I've even uploaded my work letters of recommendation to Upwork!) from outside. Graphic Design for print is an actual product that you can touch with your fingers. Not an online product. How do I get more clients using this platform?! I am wondering if it is even a possibility. The "help" tools sent to me are way too generic for me to apply to Graphic Design for print. I have 20 years experience as a graphic designer. It shouldn't be this hard to pick up a job doing a business card or logo design. Especially when I do not charge high prices for my experience as I just want extra work. 

1 REPLY 1
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Laura,

Thank you for your message and feedback. While testimonials can only be validated by Upwork if the client has a LinkedIn account, it's possible to utilize other areas of the profile to display testimonials. You can use portfolio and profile Overview to showcase other testimonials as long as they don't include contact information.

We understand that it can be difficult to get started but having an outstanding profile with eye-catching portfolio items and sending carefully tailored proposals is the key. I noticed your profile was locked due to inactivity and have unlocked it so that you are once again visible to clients. Upon reviewing your profile, I'm happy to provide some suggestions:

• Your profile overview is difficult to quickly scan and understand what your primary services and experiences are. It might help to organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience.
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Upwork’s research shows clients see it as a positive signal if the profile is well written and comprehensive. Consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals.
  • The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.

Here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths