🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Ghosted by client
Page options
jazcapri
Community Member

Ghosted by client

Hello, 

I'm new to Upwork and I recently got my first job. 
It was for 6 character designs (each being their own payment milestone) and I delivered the first one and got paid...he then said he'd send the next bit that night and I haven't heard from him since (I did reach out yesterday just in case) and I'm starting to think he might've ghosted me. 

Is there anything I need to do with the active contract? Is there a timeline for when I should close it? (assuming that's possible) 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pudingstudio
Community Member

Jasmine L wrote:

Hello, 

It was for 6 character designs (each being their own payment milestone) and I delivered the first one and got paid...he then said he'd send the next bit that night and I haven't heard from him since (I did reach out yesterday just in case) and I'm starting to think he might've ghosted me. 

Is there anything I need to do with the active contract? Is there a timeline for when I should close it? (assuming that's possible) 

You've done all you can. You've sent a polite message to remind them that you can't continue until they fund next milestone. That's all you can do for now.

Client will probably come back and sort out everything. It does happen that clients become a bit unresponsive.
Yes, it is possible that they won't respond ever. Oh, nothing you can do about that. Move on to the next one.

Yes, you can close the contract. I wouldn't, though. I'd wait a bit longer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pudingstudio
Community Member

Jasmine L wrote:

Hello, 

You've done all you can. You've sent a polite message to remind them that you can't continue until they fund next milestone. That's all you can do for now.

Client will probably come back and sort out everything. It does happen that clients become a bit unresponsive.
Yes, it is possible that they won't respond ever. Oh, nothing you can do about that. Move on to the next one.

Yes, you can close the contract. I wouldn't, though. I'd wait a bit longer.

Thank you! I just didn't know if it was bad to leave the contract open at all. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

You are not this client's friend or cousin or romantic interest. You are a professional who provides services for hire.

The client did not "ghost" you.

The client hired you to do some work.

And you did some work.

And the client did not hire you to do additional work.

This is no different than when you went to that new restaurant in town.

And then you went there again the next week.

But you didn't go back again.

You did not "ghost" the restaurant.

You simply didn't feel like going there again.

boggesslisa
Community Member

Communication with your fellow humans about something very important to their life (their livelihood) is respectful and considered good behavior.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths