cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Hangout Interview

Aparna B Member Since: Apr 3, 2017
1 of 5

Hi

I am new to Upwork website. I am getting emails from the client that my resume is selected for interview / job breifing. They are asking me to set up google hangouts to proceed with job interview/ job breifing. I am wondering how the selection process is taking place on upwork? why do I need to set up google hangout account? When I checked their profiles, the payment method is unverified. please help

Aparna

Ace Contributor
Ralph M Member Since: Dec 12, 2016
2 of 5

Hi Aparna,

I'm not saying this is a scam ... but it sure looks like one. The client's behavior is throwing up A LOT of red flags. There's no reasonable need to insist that you communicate with them via Hangouts

I'd suggest you ignore/block this "client" ASAP. Flag the job, too, if you applied for it.

Good luck!

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 5

Aparna, there have been numerous reports of freelancers being interviewed on Google Hangout, only to discover that the job is fraudulent. That doesn't mean this won't be an actual job, but if you do the interview, let them know right away you will only accept payment through Upwork, and do not give them any personal information, because all they need to make hiring decision should be in your profile. And if the interview goes on longer than maybe 15 minutes, or they mention benefits you will receive, it's almost surely a scam.

4 of 5

Aparna:

The "client" who contacted you is just as scammer. Ignore anybody who tells you out of the blue that you have been "selected" and who wants to interview you via Google Hangouts.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 5

Hi Aparna,

It looks like all three clients you communicated with have been already removed from Upwork. I'll confirm with our team that action has been taken but please do stop communicating with these clients. Please read the safety tips and freelancer resources before submitting new proposals, in order to understand the hiring process on Upwork and avoid bidding on questionable jobs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS