🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Got contract but still waiting to start work ...
Page options
vassets
Community Member

Got contract but still waiting to start work and earn

i am new on upwork. i applied for 5 jobs yesterday and got one contract. I accepted it and it is showing active contract. my que is that what should i do now to work and earn money. as i am not having any response till now
4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Vikas M wrote:
i am new on upwork. i applied for 5 jobs yesterday and got one contract. I accepted it and it is showing active contract. my que is that what should i do now to work and earn money. as i am not having any response till now

Generally, you should not accept an offer unless you have a clear understanding of the task and have received at least some of the material you need. A job without payment or feedback will hurt your future JSS.

Considering the skill-set you are offering, your rate is quite high. Beware of scammers, they target newbies like you, and there are lots of them. 

@Martina P wrote:

Considering the skill-set you are offering, your rate is quite high. Beware of scammers, they target newbies like you, and there are lots of them. 

Martina, $12/hr doesn't seem that high to me, unless one believes that freelancers who do the same work should charge different rates based on their location. In event, I doubt scammers much care what rate a freelancer charges, since they don't intend to pay anyway.

@John K wrote:

@Martina P wrote:

Martina, $12/hr doesn't seem that high to me, unless one believes that freelancers who do the same work should charge different rates based on their location. In event, I doubt scammers much care what rate a freelancer charges, since they don't intend to pay anyway.

Added to which, scammers generally try to avoid setting up formal contracts. Those scammers who have no intention of paying, but still set up a contract, generally avoid hourly contracts. They give the work, get it done, and then claim their money back. There could be a genuine reason for the OP's client not to have started work immediately. 

colettelewis
Community Member

@Vikas M wrote:

Vikas,

If the contract has started, and the client has not given you any work as yet, just wait for a while. The client may be getting work together to give you. Is this an hourly contract or fixed-rate? 

If it is fixed rate make sure that the amount you agreed with your client for all the work or the milestone has been funded into escrow, before you start work. 

If you don't hear back from the client, you can send a polite message asking them to send you the work. If they still don't come back to you, you could ask customer support to give the client a nudge. Otherwise, leave it. Eventually, Upwork will intervene and you will be asked to refund the client if there is money in escrow. In this case, your future JSS should not take a hit. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths