🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Graphic design: When to use stock graphics?
Page options
daydreamdesigns
Community Member

Graphic design: When to use stock graphics?

Hello Upworkers!

I've been thinking about when to use stock graphics (from places like shutterstock that are meant for that sort of thing)

Here's an example: a client would like a 1920's themed poster with an art deco frame/linework.

I could create this myself, or I could use a stock graphic.

When do you use stock graphics, and when do you create things from scratch? and do you discuss/disclose this to the client if you do use a stock graphic?

I feel like this might also have to do with the budget - a large budget would afford you the time to create all the elements.

It seems unreasonable that we would have to create everything from scratch every time we had a project. How do you approach using stock graphics?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Sorry, this was meant as a question for graphic designers."

No apologies necessary.

There is a dedicated section you could look at...

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 3.44.15 PM.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

This is not an Upwork question. This is something you discuss with your client.

Does the client want to purchase and use stock images?

Does the client want you to use royalty-free images?

Dies the client want to pay you or another team member to create original images?

Is the client providing you with images?

You manage this as a professional who is serving the needs of the client. 

It it is okay to discuss the question in the Forum, as long as you understand that Upwork does not make these types of decisions.

Sorry, this was meant as a question for graphic designers.

re: "Sorry, this was meant as a question for graphic designers."

No apologies necessary.

There is a dedicated section you could look at...

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 3.44.15 PM.png

foundationad
Community Member

Although the "community guru" answered your question in a condescending manner, he is essentially right. As a graphic designer myself, I do find it frustrating to see many designers just peddling the content on envato etc without clearly indicating that the final product won't be nearly as original as the client expects. It is hard, because in that environment how do you indicate that you are offering options... original and more expensive, or generic and cheep... some people truly want the latter and I think ultimately like you said their budget decides. Those who are willing to pay more will likely want to give feedback and more specific details for you to incorporate/factor in as well as revisions, and those who can only pay less get what they get. If it's a minor detail like a boarder however.... I don't generally worry about it as long as the original artist get's their dues.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths