🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Greetings :)
Page options
9b2aec5b
Community Member

Greetings :)

Can anyone give me some tips as a starter.

3 REPLIES 3
NikolaS

Hello Sarah,

Welcome to Upwork! We’re here to help you navigate the world of online work. Let’s start with the basics here at Upwork. You’ll find a list of essential resources here.

Below there are a few Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:

Additionally, feel free to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.
We hope you find these online resources useful in your Upwork journey.
~ Nikola
Upwork
catsie42
Community Member

Hi Sarah,

I highly recommend the Upwork Academy courses as Nikola included.

In my experience, patience, persistence, and resilience are going to be your best friends when getting started on Upwork. Patience in submitting many proposals each day/week, persistence in submitting more even if you're still waiting for a response from your dream role, and persistence to keep chipping at it when you do face rejections or declines.

You can always have an expert review your profile if you have any doubts later on.

And be sure to report any scams you may find so Upwork can keep improving.

Don't be shy in engaging with the Upwork Community. I know some people here can come off as a bit aggressive or serious in their discussion responses, but in the end we're all here for the same thing. So get those badges in the community to build your knowledge and best of luck in your Upwork journey!

-Cassandra

slavev
Community Member

Welcome on Upwork, Sarah!

I would like to stress out 2 important things that will help you with the short term and long-term success on the platform. 

My experience is as a freelancer and as a client, so my opinion is based on that diverse experience.

Your MAIN goal of your proposals is NOT TO CLOSE the client, but to GET THEIR ATTENTION. 
It's extremerely rare that somebody hires you directly after reading your proposal. First, they get in contact with you to discuss further and then he sends you an offer that you accept -> project starts, you are hired!

TIP: Start your proposal with the BEST part of what you'd like to share to them (kind of like how YouTube Videos starts with a highlight). This is because when the client looks through proposal, they see the first 1-2 sentances at a glimpse, before they open your proposal fully -> You gotta catch their attention at the start.

The second thing is - BE HONEST
This is the N1 advice I give to people who I am helping grow with freelancing. It's never the better option to lie even for something small.

Example: Better say to your client that you haven't progressed on the project when being asked for an update, than laying with a lame excuse (some use their health, which drive me nuts!)

Hope those helped!

Stan

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths