🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Guidance and Help needed - New to UpWork ...
Page options
eicherkathrin
Community Member

Guidance and Help needed - New to UpWork - How does this work?

Hi!

I am brand new to UpWork and I submitted a couple of propsals today and got my first response. The client messaged me through Upwork and asked me to call her, which I did. We chatted and she asked to do a video conference with her tomorrow, which she sent me an invitation to outside of Upwork. I assume this is ok?

What is next? She mentioned she is new to UpWork as well. Let's say we decide tomorrow that we are a good match. What do I need to do? What does she need to do?

I really need some guidance and help!

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
AndreaG

Hi Kathrin,

Welcome to Upwork! For help getting started, check our Freelancer Guide

It is against Upwork TOS to communicate outside the platform before a contract is in place. We find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent do so by going off the platform. To learn more about staying safe on Upwork, click here.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Thank you so much Andrea! I messaged her and asked if we can switch to the UpWork platform tomorrow for our call.

I have been reading and watching webinars to educate myself about this process and I just want to make sure I go about this right way and have a good understanding. So let's pretend we move forward and she decides I am a good match. The next step would be for her to submit a contract thru Upwork correct? Once that is complete we can take comminucation outside of the platform and begin work. I then track my hours within the platform and get paid here. Is this all correct? Did I miss something?

Hi Kathrin,

That is correct! You can learn more about the specifics of each stage at Upwork Help, find advice in our Resource Corner and ask questions/browse posts here in the Community!

Since you're referring to an Hourly Contract scenario, I would suggest you read the following help articles:

Hourly vs. Fixed-Price Projects

Get Paid for Hourly Contracts

Hourly Protection

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths