🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Had a bad day with an *edited* client.
Page options
afraeim7
Community Member

Had a bad day with an *edited* client.

Today, I faced a bad thing over my entire freelancing career. An **Edited for Community Guidelines**man, asked me to solve a bug on this website; Like the elementor is not working. I see into his site, and noticed that, the problem is with the hosting server. Then I backup his site and upload on my site. To show him the problem is actually with his hosting server. He always asked me to join on zoom call. I said sorry for not taking your permission to take backup of your site. He said it's okay. 
Now, he wants to change his hosting to the hosting I used to host my websites for working prepose. At this moment I already gave him 2/3 hours. Without getting paid (Though I'm new here, I thought at least get a review for few more hour it will beneficial for me). Now he asking me to teach him how to setup ssl, create brand email account, connect domain and hosting. Unfortunately, I taught him, for the sake of a good review. After he asking me to show how to restore the backup file in new hosting with giving him ALL IN ONE UNLIMITED extension.  
I stopped and after few minutes I politely asked him, "if you see from a freelancer side, usually we charge for website migration. The only thing is I can't teach you. I think it will be against upwork policy."
Now he is trying to complaining about me. And give me bad reviews.

3 REPLIES 3
avirockx007
Community Member

That is a stupid client in my point of view. You did a mistake there too why you agreed to all that? For the sake of good feedback? Yeah, I get it we all are very conscious about the feedback which shall be given by a client. But you shouldn't have worked with him like this. That's your weak point there! I wouldn't work for such clients & avoid all such people like that. I am sorry you faced such a bad client. You shouldn't work with anyone for free. Stay on the things which are described in the contract nothing else.

SORRY TO READ ALL THIS! 😞

prestonhunter
Community Member

re "At this moment I already gave him 2/3 hours. Without getting paid"

Why were you working for free?

The freelancer in this situation made a big mistake by working for free.

This should have been an hourly contract, with all time spent on the project logged using the time-tracker.

What types of work should have been logged and billed?

- Migrating website to another server

- Teaching client how to do things

- Time spent troubleshooting issues with website

- Time spent discussing the problem

- All other work or time spent on behalf of the client

re: "Now he is trying to complaining about me. And give me bad reviews."

Why is he complaining about you?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Abdul K wrote:

Today, I faced a bad thing over my entire freelancing career. An **Edited for Community Guidelines**man, asked me to solve a bug on this website; Like the elementor is not working. I see into his site, and noticed that, the problem is with the hosting server. Then I backup his site and upload on my site. To show him the problem is actually with his hosting server. He always asked me to join on zoom call. I said sorry for not taking your permission to take backup of your site. He said it's okay. 
Now, he wants to change his hosting to the hosting I used to host my websites for working prepose. At this moment I already gave him 2/3 hours. Without getting paid (Though I'm new here, I thought at least get a review for few more hour it will beneficial for me). Now he asking me to teach him how to setup ssl, create brand email account, connect domain and hosting. Unfortunately, I taught him, for the sake of a good review. After he asking me to show how to restore the backup file in new hosting with giving him ALL IN ONE UNLIMITED extension.  
I stopped and after few minutes I politely asked him, "if you see from a freelancer side, usually we charge for website migration. The only thing is I can't teach you. I think it will be against upwork policy."
Now he is trying to complaining about me. And give me bad reviews.

So you told him something is against upwork policy. That probably did not go over well. Why would it be against upwork policy to teach a client a skill? Next time, teach him all he wants on an hourly contract. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths