🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Having trouble landing first job.
Page options
5c10f7c5
Community Member

Having trouble landing first job.

Hello, I've sent out three proposals for jobs I feel I am qualified for and have yet to land an interview.
I'm an experienced writer but not sure how to make my profile stand out here. I see ads for low paying rates to help land your first job, is this needed to be successful here. I want to get a job that's worth my time and pays well.
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
aditipie
Community Member

Mayra, welcome to Upwork forum. I agree that you need to get a job worth your time. 1) Completing the profile serves as a good start, in particular having a couple items in your portfolio. Is there anything from past that you could add in your portfolio? 2) Next, consider attending Upwork webinars or listening to their recordings. It helped me a lot. 3) Lastly, patience pays. The first job may take months but once you get the first one, next one comes in a week and by the end of the year you might get a job invite each day. So hang in tight. You are in the right place at right time.  

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Mayra S wrote:

Hello, I've sent out three proposals for jobs I feel I am qualified for and have yet to land an interview.
I'm an experienced writer but not sure how to make my profile stand out here. I see ads for low paying rates to help land your first job, is this needed to be successful here. I want to get a job that's worth my time and pays well.

Thanks!

A potential client that read your proposal and is interested enough to click on your profile will expect to see examples of your previous work in your portfolio, and be quite surprised to find none. This potential client might also be surprised by the fact that you don't use your word-smithing skills to convince them, as your profile is really short. Lastly, a general remark, I simply don't get why people charge a price for one skill, and double that price for another. How is an hour of your time worth more or less depending on what you do? It's still the same hour of your life? 

Martina P wrote:
Lastly, a general remark, I simply don't get why people charge a price for one skill, and double that price for another. How is an hour of your time worth more or less depending on what you do? It's still the same hour of your life? 

It might depend on how difficult the work is. You would have to pay me more for an hour of child minding than an hour of programming. 

alexis-arinze
Community Member

Mayra S wrote:

Thanks!

Take out the last sentence in your general profile. No one needs to know where your paycheck will go towards. It sort of sounds like manipulation: Hire me 'cause some money will go for new toys and food to my dog Milo! If anything, it would make me not hire you becuse it sounds like you're trying too hard.

sjbercot
Community Member

You can definitely send out dozens of proposals before landing your first job, so for most of us that means keeping at it for weeks or even months without much success at first. So you're right on track. I also do not recommend slashing your rate just to get hired, but do stick with a realistic rate. Offering and doing work below your listed rate isn't a great look, which you might find yourself doing if you've set one too high, so you want to make sure it's workable. Keep working on your profile, portfolio, and proposals, and be ready to make a solid time investment.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths